Going to Tokyo next month, anyone need 360/standard reference pics?

For the rest of your otaku life.
ComputerArt.Club
Veteran
Completed: Famous Fables, BoPoMoFo: Learn Chinese, Santa's workshop, Cat's Bath, Computer Art Club

Going to Tokyo next month, anyone need 360/standard reference pics?

#1 Post by ComputerArt.Club »

I'm off to Tokyo for a bit next month and I just ordered a 360 camera which should HOPEFULLY arrive before we leave, otherwise I'll just use my Sony NEX cameras. I'm hoping to take some 360 and standard photo reference pics while there. I will share some if I get anything good.
Anyone have anything that the need in particular?

Places I will probably be: Shinjuku, Gyoen park, Shimokitazawa, Akihabara, Odaiba (think Golden Saucer from FF7 - it's a beach area with lots of arcades near Tokyo - the place with the giant Gundam), Tokyo Disneyland (or should I say Chiba Disneyland, hahaha) and Hakone (onsen area near Mt. Fuji).

Going with my wife and baby daughter, so I'll do what I can, but won't have free rein. I will be looking extremely dorky and probably wearing the camera on a hat or using a tripod where possible. I am not a fan of 360 selfies and they wouldn't make for good reference images anyway.

I used to live in Tokyo about 5 years ago. This will be my first time back there since then.
Last edited by ComputerArt.Club on Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gaudeamus
Regular
Deviantart: Gaudeamusmx

Re: Going to Tokyo next month, anyone need 360 reference pics?

#2 Post by Gaudeamus »

how lucky you are :(

beware that you will soon rain the photo requests. . . . :twisted:

Well what I would like but I think it is not a time for a festival, I do not know if it's your turn to go to the time of sakura blossoming, but what you always need is images of the city in general, streets, konbinis (mini markets), parks and there is one thing that is already a fetish that I could not get because where I live there is not a photo of a soft drink vending machine or whatever, whether it is a public park or place (here in Mexico, even if they are in the police station are stolen :lol: ) the architecture of Japan is very different from the rest of the world and above all they respect and take care of things I think that is what many admire and love their culture, of course it is not a nuisance and if it is possible I would like some photo of it. :oops:

thank you and enjoy your trip. :wink:

ComputerArt.Club
Veteran
Completed: Famous Fables, BoPoMoFo: Learn Chinese, Santa's workshop, Cat's Bath, Computer Art Club

#3 Post by ComputerArt.Club »

Gaudeamus wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:13 pm how lucky you are :(

beware that you will soon rain the photo requests. . . . :twisted:

Well what I would like but I think it is not a time for a festival, I do not know if it's your turn to go to the time of sakura blossoming, but what you always need is images of the city in general, streets, konbinis (mini markets), parks and there is one thing that is already a fetish that I could not get because where I live there is not a photo of a soft drink vending machine or whatever, whether it is a public park or place (here in Mexico, even if they are in the police station are stolen :lol: ) the architecture of Japan is very different from the rest of the world and above all they respect and take care of things I think that is what many admire and love their culture, of course it is not a nuisance and if it is possible I would like some photo of it. :oops:

thank you and enjoy your trip. :wink:
Thanks for your reply! Some of those things I can also photograph here in Taiwan, as there is a certain overlap in the cultures (convenience stores, vending machines).

I will snap a few photographs of the types of things you mentioned. :D I probably won't be in many residential areas (for residential architecture) but I will get whatever I can. I will also take as many normal photographs for backgrounds and have a look if I still have any of my old photographs from 2011-2013.

Gaudeamus
Regular

Re: Going to Tokyo next month, anyone need 360/standard reference pics?

#4 Post by Gaudeamus »

Taiwan ... You would have mentioned it before I also love the architecture there,
here when I was young there was not (I think there is not yet) the career of illustrator and as there were some "workshops" that I had to choose one in the school and I studied in one called technical drawing , which was practically architecture for beginners, hence it has a fetish for the avant-garde architecture of several countries of Asia and the Middle East as Saudi Arabia.

Anything that you could share both Taiwanese and Japanese will be very grateful for me and although I'm not very good at making funds, I hope I can do something decent and be able to share it here with everyone. :wink:

And it's not that I do not find here good things to photograph, it's simply that none inspires me or resembles what I'm used to seeing in visual novels and although many references I take them on flickr to avoid Copyrights problems, the only thing that I have not found is the festivals, the konbini and the vending machines or cinemas :P

ComputerArt.Club
Veteran

#5 Post by ComputerArt.Club »

Gaudeamus wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:13 pm not a time for a festival, I do not know if it's your turn to go to the time of sakura blossoming, but what you always need is images of the city in general, streets, konbinis (mini markets), parks and there is one thing that is already a fetish that I could not get because where I live there is not a photo of a soft drink vending machine or whatever, whether it is a public park or place
I found many of my old photographs from back when I lived in Japan (2011-2013). There are a few thousand reference photographs, most very similar and quite random. I'll try to go through it and post some relevant stuff here. There are definitely some Hanami photographs, matsuri pics, city pics, streets, parks, some cinema pics (lobby mostly), Harajuku, Shimokitazawa, Shinjuku, etc. A few vending machines, not that many. A lot of different types of architecture. Not sure how much of it is really useful for most people though but it definitely lets you see a side of Japan that you don't normally get to see. Everyday Japan.

Started going through it today, will continue later this week. Anything in particular you need sooner rather than later?

Gaudeamus
Regular

#6 Post by Gaudeamus »

where do you want me to build your statue :lol:
ComputerArt.Club wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:15 am I found many of my old photographs from back when I lived in Japan (2011-2013). There are a few thousand reference photographs, most very similar and quite random. I'll try to go through it and post some relevant stuff here. There are definitely some Hanami photographs, matsuri pics, city pics, streets, parks, some cinema pics (lobby mostly), Harajuku, Shimokitazawa, Shinjuku, etc. A few vending machines, not that many. A lot of different types of architecture. Not sure how much of it is really useful for most people though but it definitely lets you see a side of Japan that you don't normally get to see. Everyday Japan.

Started going through it today, will continue later this week. Anything in particular you need sooner rather than later?
Of course it is quite useful as I mentioned earlier in flickr there are several but those that are free of law in the case of for example monetize are very few and those of the matsuris are non-existent in that aspect.

Of those that I would need for now would be those of the matsuris and without so much urgency that I could hardly remember and you could train stations and photos of schools or whatever looks like this

ComputerArt.Club
Veteran

#7 Post by ComputerArt.Club »

Gaudeamus wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:59 pm Of those that I would need for now would be those of the matsuris and without so much urgency that I could hardly remember and you could train stations and photos of schools or whatever looks like this
Still going through all my files, but here is a folder of photos and videos from one Matsuri/festival: https://photos.app.goo.gl/cGCtRwNY4u0o9mTQ2
Here is a video: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/LFP1l ... 98A77fTcJw
the videos are better than the photos. If anyone uses these reference images or videos I'd appreciate a credit it the thanks section ^^. Might encourage me to go through the rest of these files.

I have a few more that need to be organized, but don't expect anything too amazing as far as the festivals are concerned, these are usually just things that I chanced upon and I used whatever camera I had with me to capture. Usually I had other plans and couldn't hang around and I didn't encounter that many of them during my stay there.

Here is an animation made by (yes, by, not with - auto generated) Google Photos from another Matsuri we encountered:

and another:
More pics soon, many of those photos are more personal photos rather than reference pics. Would probably need to take some images out of videos.

I just checked the file size of the folders I recently found, it is 225+ GB, and I know that I must have more somewhere else as I am still missing a few major things (2011 is missing and some stuff for one of my film projects). Luckily I have a Google Education account so size is not the issue.

Also, there is more stuff (comiket, cosplay, fashion) on one of my old websites:
http://www.alienneko.com/search/label/Japan

In other news, my 360 camera arrived :D. I think it is going to be awesome for creating reference images, although I am sure that 360 images have their share of disadvantages too.

Gaudeamus
Regular

#8 Post by Gaudeamus »

sorry if I did not answer before but I was busy. Thank you very much indeed that you have a gold mine in references, I even believe that you can extract the audio from the videos and use them as background sounds, although first I want to make one of the backgrounds with a The images of the matsuri and then I'll see if I do the audio.
I also liked your blog until that photos of stores that you went to gave me ideas for something, as well as for some time that you need the protagonists to go on a date or something may seem silly but those photos are worth gold at least for me
ComputerArt.Club wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:57 am

I have a few more that need to be organized, but don't expect anything too amazing as far as the festivals are concerned, these are usually just things that I chanced upon and I used whatever camera I had with me to capture. Usually I had other plans and couldn't hang around and I didn't encounter that many of them during my stay there.

I just checked the file size of the folders I recently found, it is 225+ GB, and I know that I must have more somewhere else as I am still missing a few major things (2011 is missing and some stuff for one of my film projects). Luckily I have a Google Education account so size is not the issue.
take your time to organize your material that I will also take time to try to do something decent (I have about 1 year of not making backgrounds) but when I have something here I will also be sharing

Even I am excited to see that you can take with that 360-degree camera that mine is not blender or maya but definitely those pictures in the future to some programmer who knows how to use unity will be useful.

ComputerArt.Club
Veteran

#9 Post by ComputerArt.Club »

waiting for my flight :D Will arrive In a couple of hours :)

Fuseblower
Regular
Projects: Mall Macabre, Slushball Slasher, Doomed Diner, Tenkeiteki Tokyo
itch: fuseblower

#10 Post by Fuseblower »

ComputerArt.Club wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:39 pm waiting for my flight :D Will arrive In a couple of hours :)
Have a nice trip! And if you bump into Mister Abe (a.k.a. "Mario") tell him Fuseblower said hi :wink:

Gaudeamus
Regular

#11 Post by Gaudeamus »

ComputerArt.Club wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:39 pm waiting for my flight :D Will arrive In a couple of hours :)
Meanhile you went on a trip, I spent a lot of time sick and working and I could dont have time to make backgrounds or advance in my visual novel, :cry:
I hope you've had a good time on your trip and I hope to have time for my own projects and share something here :wink:

ComputerArt.Club
Veteran

#12 Post by ComputerArt.Club »

Gaudeamus wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:22 pm Meanhile you went on a trip, I spent a lot of time sick and working and I could dont have time to make backgrounds or advance in my visual novel, :cry:
I hope you've had a good time on your trip and I hope to have time for my own projects and share something here :wink:
Sorry about the delay, I have finally uploaded some of my photos from Japan: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=48905&p=482149#p482149
I took a lot with you in mind, but I will need to keep searching my computer to find some of them. There should be quite a few vending machines in there if nothing else. Yeah, I haven't made any progress with my games lately :(. I will try to upload more of my old photos, they are better quality, although I do think the 360 photos allow you to understand a place more fully. It will probably be slow however.