Why!? Programming (Japanese educational TV show)

For the rest of your otaku life.
ComputerArt.Club
Veteran
Completed: Famous Fables, BoPoMoFo: Learn Chinese, Santa's workshop, Cat's Bath, Computer Art Club

Why!? Programming (Japanese educational TV show)

#1 Post by ComputerArt.Club »

Just got back from Japan rencently and while I was there I saw an educational TV program for kids called Why?! Programming (Why!? プログラミング) www.nhk.or.jp/gijutsu/programming
They have a wacky white guy teaching in slightly broken Japanese. Not sure how easy he is to understand for Japanese kids.
It seemed like a fun way to promote coding and expose more kids to it. I guess these things are more common now, especially with stuff like code.org and scratch.
what do you think?
Do they have something similar in your country?

ComputerArt.Club
Veteran
Completed: Famous Fables, BoPoMoFo: Learn Chinese, Santa's workshop, Cat's Bath, Computer Art Club

Re: Why!? Programming (Japanese educational TV show)

#2 Post by ComputerArt.Club »

Found a Youtube playlist and watched through some of them today. Can't seem to get the youtube tag to work here so I will just post a bunch of thumbnails from their webpage and the link for the youtube playlist.
https://youtu.be/VAe9Y64FCAI?list=PLWDs ... 4a38VwQsCU
Really wish there were English subtitles ^^

Apparently it has been nominated for an emmy too: https://www.iemmys.tv/news_item.aspx?id=228

Not much discussion about Why?! Programming in English online though.

Think this is their scratch page: https://scratch.mit.edu/users/NHK_for_School/

stapee

#3 Post by stapee »

I haven't seen such TV programs, but I think we have them too. But in any case, there are many courses and training platforms, such as Khan Academy, edX, Assignment.Essayshark and other, that help in learning programming languages and in performing specific assignments. This is especially true of resources Code.org and CodeCombat, which have a nice interface and a lot of simple games about the basic principles of programming languages.

DakotaEverard

#4 Post by DakotaEverard »

stapee wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:46 am I haven't seen such TV programs, but I think we have them too. But in any case, there are many courses and training platforms, such as Khan Academy, edX, Assignment.Essayshark and other, that help in learning programming languages and in performing specific assignments. This is especially true of resources Code.org and CodeCombat, which have a nice interface and a lot of simple games about the basic principles of programming languages.
Thank you for this suggestion! I will definetely try this.

ComputerArt.Club
Veteran

#5 Post by ComputerArt.Club »

What is the link⁇ Dont trust it. You are probably a spambot. Especially since you have onlt made three posts. Can you please explain the link. It is too suspicious, though having a footer is in your favor.