I'm writing my thesis paper on J-pop...

For the rest of your otaku life.
Tom Bombadil
Regular

I'm writing my thesis paper on J-pop...

#1 Post by Tom Bombadil »

Actually, it's comparing and contrasting Japanese popular music to American, but I didn't have space to put that. >_< Anybody have any good thoughts? Websites? CD's I should import at the last minute? My main points at the moment look like:
-J-pop is more complex, both musically and lyrically
-J-pop is less sexually oriented
-J-pop is more female-dominated
-J-pop tends to be more cheerful and fun.

I'm not a J-pop expert, and I generally avoid mainstream American culture, especially music, so this could be interesting. >_> Right now, I've got 3 Puffy AmyYumi CDs, 2 Shonen Knifes, a Yoko Ishida, Best of Anime, and a Morning Musume to compare with two NOW CD's that I picked at random and have difficulty tolerating. >_< Any thoughts, links, or recommendations would me greatly appreciated. ^_^ Thanks.
Meh, I don't feel like coming up with a sig right now....^_^;;

Sai
Winged Hybrid

#2 Post by Sai »

Hmm sounds like a tough paper.
But then that's because I never pay attention to genres so I find it difficult to know what's strictly classed as pop or rock. Would Shonen Knife be pop or rock? O_O I get so confused.
My gosh Morning Musume is sickeningly cute haha (mot meant in an offensive way)... They have some really great songs but I can't stand them for too long @_@

Hmm artists I'd reccomend?
Well my favourite is Maaya Sakamoto.
Other bands/artists: Do As Infinity, Day After Tomorrow, Every Little Thing, hitomi (with a small h)

A highly popular artist (but not one I personally favour above others) is Ayumi Hamasaki.

If you go to this online radio station they play the latest J-Pop and Rock music from Japan, and at weekends they have a Top 40 Countdown which uses charts straight from Japan:
http://animehardcore.gamesquad.net/

I have absolutely no idea for American groups... I just listen and if I like something, I go get it. But I really am not up to speed with anything.... So I can't reccomend anyone.

Tom Bombadil
Regular

#3 Post by Tom Bombadil »

Cool, thanks. BTW, http://www.japanaradio.com is another J-pop radio station. ^_^ I've found it enjoyable and somewhat cool. I'll check that stuff out...thanks. ^_^
Meh, I don't feel like coming up with a sig right now....^_^;;