Japanese snacks

For the rest of your otaku life.
deerchan
Regular
Projects: Secrets, hoho >3

Japanese snacks

#1 Post by deerchan »

I look around J-list a lot- mostly the snack section. My goodness everything looks so good! >-< I really want to try the seafood crackers and those canned "food" droplets. (I wonder what that hamburger drop candy tastes like o__o)
I've had some bad experiences with some before- To be honest I really hate pocky and I think I got stomach flu off of a box of some chocolate-topped pretzel sticks that were shaped like mushrooms. (And they weren't that great either)

Have you guys had any Japanese snacks like the ones on J-list? If so which ones and were they good?
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... &sk=t&sd=a
The Pet Project is up and running! Come join us!
We still need a background artist, coders, writers and demo testers.

I can be flat out stupid sometimes. Specially in forums. Please bare with me.

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

Re: Japanese snacks

#2 Post by Samu-kun »

I'm a little bit suspicious of getting snacks by the mail... Why don't you just find your local Asian market and get some from there? Even a small town in the middle of nowhere like mine has two Asian markets where I can get a lot of good snacks from.

Adorya
Miko-Class Veteran

#3 Post by Adorya »

:mrgreen:

Taken from Mariem blog, french who went to japan some years ago

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#4 Post by MaiMai »

HAHAHA Oh man, I had no idea there was actually sea salt ice cream even in Japan. :mrgreen:
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#5 Post by papillon »

It is more fun to visit your local asian market if you have one, but I've also ordered exciting boxes of japanese snacks to sample all kinds of things. The real problem is that it's most efficient to order a big pile all at once, but then I pick through them slowly because they're weird foreign luxuries, and some end up junk before I manage to eat them.

The *best* things I've found were black sugar caramels. (My husband likes the green tea ones.) I also got some 'chestnut' white chocolate KitKats which were really nice, but limited edition.

The worst things I've found included something tiramisu-flavored which had a texture so disturbing I could not eat them without feeling sick. I can't even describe it, there is nothing else like it, it is WRONG. Sort of soft and squishy and also furry. *shudder*

I like Pocky but only when I'm living in America. Japanese chocolate seems equivalent to US chocolate in quality most of the time... which is to say, not very good! There's a British version of Pocky which is better IMO. I've also had and liked the little mushroom things, but they're sort of a similar principle to pocky. Meltykiss are okay in season, but they're more of a novelty than a great taste.

Dried peas with wasabi are a fun crunchy snack for when you're bored with potato chips.

The hard coffee candies are nice, but there's so many in a bag I think I still have some from years ago!

I'd try those drop candies if there was some sort of mixed sampler, but I don't want to order a whole tin of any of those flavors. I'm also not sure how you can make sushi-flavored candy be anything other than gross!

rinrin
Veteran
Completed: Several.
Projects: Several.

#6 Post by rinrin »

jagariko.jpg
Jagariko (salad flavor) are one of my favorite Japanese snacks. They are basically cylinder shaped, flavored potato chips.
Crunchy and addictive (and unlike chocolate, they don't melt in the heat)!

deerchan
Regular
Projects: Secrets, hoho >3

#7 Post by deerchan »

It all sounds so good! @A@ Unfortunately the only asian market we had moved to a different state, and even then it was very small and limited, and the service was pretty bad. I live near the Grand Canyon, so most stores are sports/rec and tourist shops, my town is also big on tea and coffee so thats what all the shops are like D:> We DO have some tiny shops with SOME asian foods but they're mostly about the more local cultures here like Native American and Mexican foods.

I've had some really good snacks before, though, such as Squid Jerky and those tiny little gelatin cups that you pop into your mouth with leechees inside ^^ I'm addicted to the little ricecracker mixes though, we have a health food store that sells them and they're fantastic. My favorite are the twists with little nori sprinkles on them >w<

Those special flavored Kitkats sound really good. The chestnut flavor must have been delicious!! Has anyone had the cheesecake kind?
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... &sk=t&sd=a
The Pet Project is up and running! Come join us!
We still need a background artist, coders, writers and demo testers.

I can be flat out stupid sometimes. Specially in forums. Please bare with me.

Ramidel
Regular

#8 Post by Ramidel »

http://tentaclegrape.com/

...oh, you meant authentic Japanese snacks? Um...

thebackup
Veteran
Completed: Final Week, CardioQuiz, Cafe Memoria, All I Want for Christmas is a Girlfriend, Dating Sim! Re:Mastered, Dating Sim! Luna's Lovely Summer
Projects: Memoria (on hiatus), Cafe Memoria Deux (cancelled)
Organization: PixaelSoft
itch: thebackup

#9 Post by thebackup »

Not exactly a snack, but have any of you guys tried ramune?

The college I went to sold them, but for some reason it didn't have that glass marble inside. :? Nevertheless, I highly recommend you all try it. It's got this unique citrus-y flavor you wouldn't find in other sodas. 8)

Suzumiyaandy
Regular

#10 Post by Suzumiyaandy »

Hi-Chew is one of my favorites :D

Der Tor
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Der Totengräber, There is always a Choice, Darkness
Projects: A Legend of an Ancient Evil
itch: emmanuel-goldstein

#11 Post by Der Tor »

I don't know if it is a Japanese food as well, but my favorite ASIAN food would definitely be betel nuts...
not so much because of the nuts themselves... more because of the beautiful girls that are selling them :mrgreen:

http://www.youmaker.com/video/sv?id=0b5 ... f76b9b5001
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZthJn6Iq5o

We should have such things in Germany too... if Germany would be like Taiwan we could get all the hookers off the streets and have them sell betel nuts instead :D

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: E-mail me if you wanna rock the planet

#12 Post by JinzouTamashii »

Wow@Der Tor...

Reminds me of the girls at the conventions that sell the games... they cosplay, but they're not gamers, just pretty models...
Don't worry, we can get through it together. I didn't forget about you! I just got overwhelmed.
https://cherylitou.wordpress.com

pkt
Veteran
Completed: I dunno
Projects: Something special

#13 Post by pkt »

Pocky is awesome but that's about all I tried cept ramen.
No Active Public Renpy Projects...

curry nochi rice
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Delicatessen, Whom to Notice, Start of Something, Love Sorcery
Organization: Circle Cosine
IRC Nick: Curry
itch: project-rothera

#14 Post by curry nochi rice »

pocky is pretty common...
Personal (R-13) | Now at IndieDB | Circle Cosine's itch.io
I wanna be done.