How do you feel about Nintendo shutting down a fan-movie?

For the rest of your otaku life.
JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: E-mail me if you wanna rock the planet

How do you feel about Nintendo shutting down a fan-movie?

#1 Post by JinzouTamashii »

... That made it big time and became popular?

http://www.theherooftime.com/2009/12/th ... -01-01-10/

How are the draconian modern interpretations of intellectual property and copyright law stopping creators and fans from playing out their visions?

If you changed the costumes and the names of every character in the movie and refilmed it, would it still be the same movie?

What's an homage, what's a parody, and what's a rip-off?
Don't worry, we can get through it together. I didn't forget about you! I just got overwhelmed.
https://cherylitou.wordpress.com

AllegroDiRossi
Regular
Tumblr: daroross
Deviantart: daroross

Re: How do you feel about Nintendo shutting down a fan-movie?

#2 Post by AllegroDiRossi »

Guh?!

What is this and how come I didn't know about it before the end?!
Is there anywhere we might still be able to find it to watch?
I wanna see!

I'm always indecisive when it comes to intellectual property and what should and shouldn't be allowed.
I think it's great that someone put so much effort into something like this,
and it's sad that it was all for nothing in the end with the cease-and-desist.
But I also think about what if such a person were using my creations for such a thing.
It's flattering, but at the same time, those concepts are your own,
and you wouldn't want anyone to distort them in any way you might perceive.

Bleh, I dunno.
Live Life Heroically

Wertville

#3 Post by Wertville »

I wonder how nintendo old-school revolution survived then...
And I guess the april fools commercial wasn't technically fan made...
Was there something that could possibly be Nintendo offensive in it?

...And do you know where I could watch it :P

Showsni
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by Showsni »

Ah, that's a shame. I saw it soon after they finished it. It wasn't particularly great (serious pacing issues!) but it was clearly a labour of love, and impressive how fans had managed to finish a whole movie. Still, you can see why Nintendo did it. If a company doesn't protect its trademarks it could lose them; and if any company could then slap Link and Zelda onto any product without even acknowledging Nintendo - well, clearly they couldn't allow it.

Hm, I wonder if the movie saved to my Temporary Internet Files when I watched it?

AllegroDiRossi
Regular

#5 Post by AllegroDiRossi »

Thanks to the modern marvel known as the internet, nothing truly dies. Watched the movie. It was interesting for all its geekery. Sheik was a ninja... A girl ninja! XD I missed that gender ambiguity. And they substituted Volvagia for a dodongo?! I'd liked to have seen other sages than just the fire sage. If they were going to go to the trouble of changing the plot to make new sages instead of using the existing characters, I'd at least liked to have seen more of them. And no Zoras?! =[

But, heck, it was a fun romp since I haven't played the game in almost a decade anyways.
Live Life Heroically

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#6 Post by JinzouTamashii »

Ah, you can grab the collector's edition of Ocarina of Time bundled with Majora's Mask (You want pacing issues... ?) for the Gamecube/Wii from your local retailor, I bet.

I have it tucked away in some drawer or box somewhere. But my fondest memories were of watching an experienced friend fly through the game...
Don't worry, we can get through it together. I didn't forget about you! I just got overwhelmed.

AllegroDiRossi
Regular

#7 Post by AllegroDiRossi »

Ocarina of Time was my first N64 game. The frustration and joy of learning to use a joystick (I had only played SNES before that). I still have the original copies of Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. Wasn't there something like a Master Dungeon in one of the collectors editions tho?
Live Life Heroically

Showsni
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by Showsni »

Ocarina of Time Master Quest (for Gamecube) came bundled with early copies of Wind Waker; the dungeons are redesigned, like the second quest in the original Zelda, but otherwise it's the same.

I do like the Collector's Edition; Ocarina, Majora's Mask, Legend of Zelda, Adventure of Link and a Wind Waker demo, on one disc. And Nintendo gave it to me for free! (Well, I had to send them the receipt from F Zero GX. Which I got secondhand.)

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#9 Post by JinzouTamashii »

Wow, how can they fit all that on one disc? Astonishing. They released nearly all of the older Sonic Sega games for the GameCube, and I bought it (Player's Pick, I think) and it was great. I still never did beat Sonic 3 though, shit is unbelievably hard.

They should see how much space the Wii discs have, and see how many classic Legend of Zelda games would fit on one gamedisc instead of releasing them piecemeal through the Wii Ware store... and fighting homebrew while calling it "piracy." Uh-huh.

Then every survey blows them out of the water by showing the "internet hype" or "viral marketing" effect where word-of-mouth causes more sales than it harms... and a lot who downloaded were trying out the game on their system specs with full intention to buy sometime in the future.

I admit it, I pirated World of Goo, but I ended up donating some of my own commission money back to 2DBoy when I got into better circumstances. I mean, even if you have a part-time job, sometimes it's incredibly hard to make ends meet when you have a family to support...

Shit if the individual developers (NOT the companies) and especially indie groups understand that, and are willing to flex the rules for players on a game-by-game basis... I mean, you know what I love? Seeing someone else use my stuff in a game that I didn't even know that they made, and I'm playing years later. My heart, literally, skips a little beat.

See also: http://rconversation.blogs.com/rconvers ... inese.html China attempting to filter out the entire world.

My campus does the same thing... with the opensource OpenDNS. Open-source. Hmm. They're still trying to filter 4chan and Sankaku Complex and twitter and Facebook and other blogs everyday and failing miserably...

My Tech Support on campus finally admitted that they don't know what constitutes a cell-phone, a forum, a chatroom, or a game anymore... or how Alternate-Reality games fit and then break molds.

I already pointed out to our IT that if they cripple the word-filters anymore, they would hurt students trying to support breast cancer charities or searching for information on, say, current Internet trends in a graduate research paper they intended to publish in a scientific journal at some future date... not to mention machine-assisted translation of foreign languages and caches of now-nonexistent sites.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#10 Post by LVUER »

JinzouTamashii wrote:I still never did beat Sonic 3 though, shit is unbelievably hard.
Sonic 3 is a big letdown. One of the worst MegaDrive era Sonic (which is the best era for Sonic games). It should be packaged together with Sonic&Knucles, but they release it as a stand-alone games to meet holiday deadline. I can't believe that... or actually, I can. It happens a lot in video game industry -_-

I could say proudly that I totally master all 5 first Sonic (Sonic 1,2,3, Sonic&Knuckels, Sonic 3D/Blast... but I never like Sonic Blast, too bad I never play Sonic R). It natural though, since I finished each of them for more than 40 times. Honest! Sonic 2 (though the longest) is the most times I finished and Sonic 3D is the least.

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#11 Post by JinzouTamashii »

Sonic 1 is my favorite for the music, Sonic 2 is my favorite for the Tails and Sonic partnering system. At the time, you could plug in a second controller, throw it to your young hyperactive friend, and swear at each other like this:
"Crap! Jump!"
"Ah, you missed the ring!"
"Well, go back and get it!"
"Freak, Tails died again... "
"Don't worry, he'll fly back to us if I wait here... "
I've had some trouble in Firefox and playing YouTube videos lately, but this should be what I mean, by the awesome OC/Remix peoples:

http://www.gametrailers.com/user-movie/ ... mix/292462

Wertville

#12 Post by Wertville »

That guy's awesome :o
I've only beaten some of the newer sonic games (Adventure,A2,Advance) but I was able to beat some of the older ones...
...With level select cheats...
...And the occasional debug cheat...
...Wait, I think I beat sonic 1.

With an awful score, but oh well :P

Animality

#13 Post by Animality »

I think they shouldn't have made such a rash decision. They should have made sure they were getting the credit for the intellectual content or whatever it is called then allowed it to be shown. Unless they already planned on making a movie they shouldn't just crush the fan movie. I think that once your work is in the "wild" it no longer belongs to you alone, after all you cannot jump into someone Else's head and take it back out, but the creator still should have some control over what happens with it.

I liked playing the sonic games and I still do. The fun is never going to end I think.
"Moderate strength is shown in violence, supreme strength is shown in levity."

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#14 Post by LVUER »

I don't know why we talk about Sonic in Nintendo thread, but... oh well... (actually I think I'm the one who start it)

I think early Sonic (Megadrive) is easier since the levels are smaller. So it's possible to memorize all the secrets (sometimes in one go, though only left 10 seconds in time counter) in all levels.

While newer 2D Sonic's leves are simply too big. Too many branching path, too many secrets, too many enemies, and sometimes too difficult to be mastered. With that, we just couldn't memorize the level, which is one of the joy of playing Sonic.

3D Sonic, in the other hand, are too simple and linear, not much variation, only rely on pure speed (which frustrates me a lot, especially when paired with bad controls). 3D Sonic is simply BAD. Though I never play Sonic Adventure series and XBOX360 one... but I play the rest (PS2 and Wii) and I think they are pretty similar.

And another factor that makes old Sonic is better are minimal amount of character (I mean, c'mon, how many more hedgehog do Sega plan to create?) and lack of text/voice. And also, perhaps it's just me, but Megadrive Sonic have more beautiful music?

Wertville

#15 Post by Wertville »

Sonic has definitely got downhill since his 8-bit days.
But the reason the recent 3D games (SA and SA2 rule, even if they are slightly linear) have dropped in quality is because Sega is trying to add new and different gameplay mechanics. The side-scrolling parts in sonic unleashed are amazing, but the rest is only ok.

What they don't realize is that, in video games at least, the character won't sell the game if the game has little to do with the character. And that is the opposite of making sonic the only playable one (Knuckles = pro).

Let's hope Project Needlmouse is what sonic fans are waiting for :P (And that it's on Wii, if not I will skewer Sega)