Silent Hill - Shattered Memories

For the rest of your otaku life.
Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

Silent Hill - Shattered Memories

#1 Post by Taleweaver »

Just finished my first playthrough, and I must say - wow! I was really impressed with what's possible on the Wii. A truly engrossing story, a psychological horror setting unlike any other, and in my case, deja vu!

The game begins with you at the psychiatrist. Something happened that made it necessary for you to see a psychiatrist. You answer a few questions, then you begin to remember what happened back then.

Cut to a car accident. You, Harry Mason, and your seven-year-old daughter Cheryl are in the car as it spins off the icy road and crashes. You pass out for a short moment. As you regain consciousness, your daughter is gone. You start looking for her in a town that starts to become increasingly gloomy and strange, and then suddenly everything freezes over and you are stuck in some sort of nightmare where weird creatures hunt you, and your daughter is nowhere to be found, and you don't seem to be in the same place as you were when your car crashed and...

Well, finding out what happened is the game.

Don't read the following unless you are willing to spoil the experience for yourself! I'M SERIOUS!!!!
I don't know whether you've played my VN "The Dreaming", but the true ending revelals that throughout the entire game, you were following the perspective of a fictional character - someone who only exists in the mind of someone else. I wrote "The Dreaming" mainly because that was the sort of story I wanted to tell.

Now guess what? SHSR - same thing! The character you play - Harry Mason - is what remains of the memory his daughter had from when he died. She was seven back then, now she's 25, and you - the player - are what she remembers of him.
Isn't that the strangest coincidence that I and the guys at Konami had essentially the same idea?
Seriously, if you own any system the game runs on, get it today. It's an experience you don't wanna miss.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

Re: Silent Hill - Shattered Memories

#2 Post by LVUER »

Now that you mention it, yeah, it's quite similar.
I've played SH:SM and get all the endings.
You can be all kind of dad ^_^
Then again, like I always said, what's most important in a game is not story nor characters, but the presentation. Since people could think same story and characters but almost impossible to present it in exact same way.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Fluffycrow
Regular
Projects: Akita Files (WIP, mystery/otome)

#3 Post by Fluffycrow »

Ah, I looove SH:SM! Having never played a Silent Hill game before, I have to say I am now really interested in the series.

My favorite bits were most likely the big twist at the end (Sobbed like a baby) and the idea that, while creepy monsters chasing you down were a part of the presentation, some of the scarier bits actually came from places you wouldn't expect.

For example:
The first time I played through the game, I completed the "Dead-or-sleeping" test, only to have Dr. Kaufmann say, "Actually, they were all sleeping." This was a bit creepy, but it hardly prepared me for what he said the second time around: "In reality, they were all dead." As someone who considers herself a horror movie connoisseur, I'm a bit ashamed to admit that I nearly had a heart attack.

Also, I found the story told through the cell phone messages in the mall to be extremely disturbing. You know, with the homicidal shoplifter and the dead security guard? Brr.

vaanknight
Regular
Completed: Happy Weird-Day! How a freckled fairy can save your world (Or get more freckles in the process...)"
Projects: Nameless 2D Fighting Game

#4 Post by vaanknight »

Ah, a great game indeed! I'm an old school Silent Hill player, and I must say this one is the best since SH2.

Personally I didn't find it scary, but I suppose I'm too seasoned for that kinda thing at this point.
My favourite part is the scene at Lisa's apartment, where Cybil the cop gives the first BIG revelation: "You're not Harry Mason" and freezes away, it makes you start wondering like crazy about what the heck is going on.
Have you seen the alien ending? that alone is worth the trip.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer

#5 Post by Taleweaver »

vaanknight wrote:Have you seen the alien ending? that alone is worth the trip.
The Alien Ending, as all Alien Endings in Silent Hill, is all about giving the player the finger. Hilarious, especially as far as the good Dr. is concerned...
More about me in my blog

Jo'ogn
Veteran
Projects: Kassiopeia [iVN]

Re: Silent Hill - Shattered Memories == Silent Hill reloaded

#6 Post by Jo'ogn »

I was wondering. Having played the original "Silent Hill" back in 1998 on the PSX - I recently noticed Konami's SH:SM in the shelves. Did they re-write the story of Cheryl and Harry and threw it back on the PS2 market?! What happened to Alessa and her mother?
Audio Plays: [original] The White Feathers Directive - [Star Wars] Through Flame and Shadow
Ren'Py: Kassiopeia [very interactive VN] work in progress - looking for proof reader english

LVUER
King of Lolies

#7 Post by LVUER »

I've played all Silent Hill. They are interesting and a completely different and original survival horror when compared to Resident Evil (at that time, we could see lots of RE clones).

SH:SM only use same characters from original SH. The story is completely different and original. So you won't miss anything if you haven't played the original SH... though you'd better play it or you'll miss a great game. Also SH2 and SH3 (I don't really recommend the rest).

So you could say SH:SM is a brand new SH game, only with names copied from the original SH (even the place, Silent Hill is completely different from the usual Silent Hill)
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account

Samidarenina
Regular

#8 Post by Samidarenina »

Yeah, this game came as a big suprise.
I enjoyed the story quite well even though I must admit that the game didn´t really shine is some aspects like the riddles.
In my opinion this game deserves the title of best newer generation Silent Hill game and I would gladly recommend it to anyone, not only SH fans ^^

Sami

P.S. *spoiler*
Oh, god, the ending was just....*cries*
I really didn´t expect that. I noticed in the second playrun that they didn´t really call you by name even once when you were with the shrink. The player kind of just assumed it was the same person^^
Kind of reminds me of Ever 17...^^

Altsyph

#9 Post by Altsyph »

LVUER wrote:I've played all Silent Hill. They are interesting and a completely different and original survival horror when compared to Resident Evil (at that time, we could see lots of RE clones).

SH:SM only use same characters from original SH. The story is completely different and original. So you won't miss anything if you haven't played the original SH... though you'd better play it or you'll miss a great game. Also SH2 and SH3 (I don't really recommend the rest).

So you could say SH:SM is a brand new SH game, only with names copied from the original SH (even the place, Silent Hill is completely different from the usual Silent Hill)
I played SH1/SH3/SH4 and watched SH:SM on Youtube (FULL). The new gameplay was cool but not enough to draw me to the game, though (I don't have PS2 neither Wii. I would have to emulate it)

LVUER
King of Lolies

#10 Post by LVUER »

SH:SM is Wii exclusive. Yeah, I must admit that SH:SM is very different from normal SH.
-no enemies (except in nightmare scene)
-no bosses
-easy puzzles
-nightmare scene
-no oh-I-am-so-doomed-and-also-the-rest-of-the-town plot
It's a little dissapointing... but definitely not a bad game. To enjoy it, you must take SH:SM as a brand new Silent Hill game (like RE4).

DeviantArt Account

TyranX
Regular

#11 Post by TyranX »

SH:SM is Wii exclusive.
It's actually also out for the PsP as well.

And as for the game itself. Well lets just say that while i can handle games like RE4 (since you can fill anything that spooks you with bullets.) Playing Shattered Memories as my first Silent hill game...in the middle of the night.....in a completely quiet room..answering truthfully to the psyciatrist....with headphones on and the screen inches from my face. Was not a very fun experience. XD

While i do admit its a good game, I just wasn't mentally prepared or desensitized enough for it. ^^,

(The nightmare sequences always freak me out once they first start :P After the initial shock, it becomes a "WTF, BLUE LIGHT!!" chase. Thank god for flares though.)
Last edited by TyranX on Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you to death with their experience."

Current Status="A brilliantly lazy man"

LVUER
King of Lolies

#12 Post by LVUER »

Then you have to try at least the original SH1,2, and 3. SH:SM isn't scary at all, compared to those games.

DeviantArt Account

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac

#13 Post by Taleweaver »

LVUER wrote:Then you have to try at least the original SH1,2, and 3. SH:SM isn't scary at all, compared to those games.
And that's why I loved it. Less cheap scares, more psychological freak-me-out. Plus, as I already mentioned, an ending with true storytelling power.
More about me in my blog

cloudyssky
Veteran
Completed: Alone
Projects: Many failed ones

#14 Post by cloudyssky »

All these spoilers kinda wanna make me go play the game...
Projects:
Alone- (Horror/Sci-Fi) Complete! Link
Demokratiya- (Adventure/Action) I'm kind of winging it with this one. Goal is 100,000 words. Yeah, it's gonna take a while.
{Last worked on Sept/28 : Word count (coding and all) ~4500}

Fluffycrow
Regular
Projects: Akita Files (WIP, mystery/otome)

#15 Post by Fluffycrow »

Taleweaver wrote:
LVUER wrote:Then you have to try at least the original SH1,2, and 3. SH:SM isn't scary at all, compared to those games.
And that's why I loved it. Less cheap scares, more psychological freak-me-out. Plus, as I already mentioned, an ending with true storytelling power.
THIS.