Valthirian Arc

For the rest of your otaku life.
Nessiah
Regular
Completed: Valthirian Arc
Projects: DollMaker

Valthirian Arc

#1 Post by Nessiah »

I wonder if this is acceptable in lemma's standards. I mean it is a management SIM...

Valthirian Arc is a game developed with Lucidrine. The Player takes on the role of the Principal of an Academy in a magical fantasy world, known as Valthiria, and takes on the role of overseeing the training of the students and managing the school itself, teaching the young warrior and mage apprentices to cast magic and wield weaponry.

Enroll new students, train them, grade them up, give them examinations, take care of their mood, accept quests from nearby villagers, and make your Academy the most famous, prestige Academy of Valthiria!

Valthirian Arc Features System-Generated Characters to populate your academy, so there are hundreds of possibility of what your students become. The map is also Generated, you won't encounter the same field each battle :).

Play it over here!: 5 MB
http://www.arcadebomb.com/play/valthirian_arc.html
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/529514

Sandbox Version: http://www.kongregate.com/games/lucidri ... hirian-arc
By starting new arc, you'll get two options. Sandbox version means endless mode and just play the game to your own whim without worrying about losing your students and so forth.
I hope you guys will enjoy it~!
Last edited by Nessiah on Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

Asphodel
Regular

Re: Valthirian Arc

#2 Post by Asphodel »

Nessiah wrote:I wonder if this is acceptable in lemma's standards. I mean it is a management SIM...
I... hmm.

It isn't made in Ren'Py, and it doesn't obviously belong to the visual novel / dating sim supergenre. Is there a major romantic subplot? Is it in canon with a Ren'Py or ren'ai game (e.g., sharing characters in common)?

Looks gorgeous, though. Will play it.

Nessiah
Regular

#3 Post by Nessiah »

I am not sure, does getting attached to your students count? ;_;
I'll ask a moderator to kill it off....once I figure out how ._.
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#4 Post by PyTom »

I've moved this over to this board, rather than killing it off entirely.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Ramidel
Regular

#5 Post by Ramidel »

Where did you get this music? Because I've gotta say...

Crowning Music of Awesome!

And this is like five seconds in.

Nessiah
Regular

#6 Post by Nessiah »

Ramidel wrote:Where did you get this music? Because I've gotta say...

Crowning Music of Awesome!

And this is like five seconds in.
Thank you! Everything in this game is actually custom :D
The composer is by a guy named Fandrey/Atelier Lucid
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

RayRayTea
Regular
Projects: The Stolen Diamond Ring (a mystery VN)

#7 Post by RayRayTea »

Played this a few days ago - great fun! There were a few bugs with pathfinding but other than that I enjoyed it a lot, it's very slick and well executed!

Other games on your site look excellent too :)
nekomura games
Princess Battles, a card-based stat raising sim

Nessiah
Regular

#8 Post by Nessiah »

Thank you very much! We also included Sandbox Version, which is pretty much endless mode so you can get use to the game like a trainer and just play on your whim :D
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

RayRayTea
Regular
Projects: The Stolen Diamond Ring (a mystery VN)

#9 Post by RayRayTea »

Wow you got featured on Gamejolt (and I think I saw it featured somewhere else too?). Congratulations - nice to see it on a frontpage :)
nekomura games
Princess Battles, a card-based stat raising sim

Ramidel
Regular

#10 Post by Ramidel »

Okay, I'm on my fourth year, so here's my impression: it's a good game for what it does, but it does kind of pall after a while.

Ultimately, the game's just an endless quest to keep feeding the kingdom more and more fresh meat until you fail too many times, and dammit, with this kind of graphics and music, I can't help but feel that some storyline could have been put in beyond a simple fame management game. Maybe I'm just spoiled by the awesome parts though.

If you did a VA2 it would be lovely if some ren'ai, RPG or similar elements were put in.

Strictly on the level of the game sim, it's kind of easily reducible tactically. In battle, you want three students in training and either a maxed Magilancer (or maybe Duelist or Dragoon) to tank or a Sorceress to blow enemies up. Ultimately, each month you want to raise a couple of students as high as you can from two or three weeks of leaked XP, ideally get them into the class on demand, and then send them off to serve the kingdom in Week 4. Sometimes you'll be lucky enough to have one of your upperclassmen in demand and a rookie promotable to that class, at which point you promote the upperclassman and pass the torch to the younglings.

One idea I had for the sim side was possibly to have teachers in the game, either recruited from elsewhere or (more likely) raised from the fresh meat. Of course, you've already got upperclassmen, but having a formal role for the Grade 30 Sorceress just feels right.

Also, some influence beyond "roll the dice and pray" over what class the younglings choose would be cool.

Nessiah
Regular

#11 Post by Nessiah »

Thank you so much for the feedback!
In fact we weren't so happy with the final product because it's been cut off but here's a Post Mortem from my friend of what we originally had in mind, I hope you'd like all of these ideas for VA2 'w')/
It’s almost been a week after we released Valthirian Arc. And The game is on v1.4 right now, with the addition of Sandbox Mode.

And now, i would like to thanks these unsung heroes who helped us through the development of Valthirian Arc:
- Stalker-san (of Doujinstyle.com) For the Klin-Cii Mascot
- Ashley (AnemoneMeer)
- Cruxblack
- Blake Johnston
- Juno
- Chrystocat
- Raide (For epic fanarts and Flavours of the game!)
- Sanjito
- William Shammas
- Many other people who i cannot put all of their name here due to limited page size

And now, for Post Mortem, about how i feel in post-release of ”Valthirian Arc”:

TBH, im not too satisfied with the result this time. I admit Azrael and Archeia did excellent job in the graphic, i (the game designer) was the troublemaker. Valthirian Arc was never meant to be a grind-fest game with crappy AI. My initial Design was larger than that (it supposed to have Storylines, Events, each students have their own mood, traits, etc, just like normal RPG do), Initial Classes was 20 (Arquebusiers, Snipers, Divine Arcana, Janissaries, Crusaders, Witches, Summoners and much more) instead of 8.

The problem lies in time quota for the development. I’m 17 years old now, and in the final year of my highscool. I will take decisive national examination in 2 weeks from now (fail the exam and i fail the ENTIRE 3 years highschool). The development time is very very very limited, so unfortunately we have to cut MOST of the features, butchering the game as is. Yes, we did the game in rush, and this version of Valthirian Arc is considered the “Lite” version.

However, we are happy enough to see positive response from you guys ^^. We’ll try our best and work on the full version later after i get to the college (I’m taking IT Faculty — probably Game Developing). Until then, I’ll halt my activity in game developing. See you later when I’m a college student! Thank you for everything!

- Fandrey, Lucidrine
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

Ramidel
Regular

#12 Post by Ramidel »

I'll be there when you get back to work and make a full game!

Esphirisa
Regular

#13 Post by Esphirisa »

It was interesting. I loved the graphics, but like mentioned, it would be better to have a storyline, perhaps, rather than endlessly repeat training, accepting, and graduating students. I like the fact that you have different classes, and that the stats of the students play a part in what they want to be. I like completing the objectives, too, and that you added an enemy that appears occasionally.
Uhh, this is a bit out-of-topic, but I got somewhat addicted to seeing those fairies(?) jumping around in Nessiah-san's siggy.

Nessiah
Regular

#14 Post by Nessiah »

We are doing a remake :)
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

Ramidel
Regular

#15 Post by Ramidel »

KYAAAAAA! We'll be eagerly waiting when you're done.

(And maybe it'll have enough relationship-related stuff to fall in the Completed Games instead this time. ^_^)