What do you hate about Japan?

For the rest of your otaku life.
linkdragon0
Veteran
Projects: ILoMG, Nomads

Re: What do you hate about Japan?

#16 Post by linkdragon0 »

Kanji is fun. I love the really long complex ones with like 15 or more strokes.

but this is about what we hate, I'm still sticking with no xport 4 u. It's so mean. Especially since I'm paranoid about buying online.
My handle is Shoe, please use it if you prefer.

International League of Magical Girls
Story: 60%
Script: 15%
Art: 33.33%
Music: 0.002%
Comedy: <9000%

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#17 Post by azureXtwilight »

That too, since there are SO many otome games in japanese and only one got translated (yojinbo)

Ren

#18 Post by Ren »

azureXtwilight wrote:That too, since there are SO many otome games in japanese and only one got translated (yojinbo)
T_T

I want Hiiro no kakera...

Can't say I hate something in particular about Japan, not because I love everything, but because it seems to me every country has their own hypocrisies, flaws and irritating bits. I never thought Japan was perfect, so it seems only natural I won't like everything.

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#19 Post by MaiMai »

azureXtwilight wrote:That too, since there are SO many otome games in japanese and only one got translated (yojinbo)
I want Hakuouki so badly TAT
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

Anthy
Regular

#20 Post by Anthy »

linkdragon0 wrote:Japanese isn't that hard to learn.

I don't like the verb system, but maybe it's because i'm too used to english. And what's the deal with "kedo" and "demo" seemingly used interchangably for "but?"

I still can't figure that one out.
I'll try and explain it, but I'm a horrible teacher ^^'
It's based on context. In some instances you can't use "demo", because it doesn't always mean "but".. it can be a combination of particles de+mo.. there are phrases like dokodemo/daredemo (anywhere/anyone), it can mean "even", or it can mean "or something like that", and so on... demo is also interchangeable with "datte". "kedo" needs something preceding it, even if it's only da (dakedo), but demo does not. demo, when used as "but", is at the beginning of a sentence, like soshite.

"kedo" is just like keredo and can also be used at the end of the sentence to make it... softer? Kind of like saying "anyway..." I dunno how to explain it.

Another way to say "but" is "ga" (also needs something preceding it, just like kedo). Usually comes off stronger and more formal than kedo does.

The only thing I HATE about Japan is how hard it is to get over there, really. And once you're over there, you can't stay there long without some kind of visa, which is hard to get a hold of. I also miss their lack of cheese, but they make up for it with chestnuts and all their awesome desserts and vendor foods. I mean, if Tokyo Disneyland's Space Mountain had the awesome background music, I'd say their park is just as good as the one in Anaheim (it's cheaper too).

linkdragon0
Veteran

#21 Post by linkdragon0 »

Thank you so much, I thought it had something to do with word proceeding it.

and I had figured out the kedo meaning "anyway" thing a while ago, anyway...

I hate how expensive DVDs are there.

But I was wondering how expensive manga are, here in america they're 10 USD/11 USD But get down to 8. (is for rambling)

Anthy
Regular

#22 Post by Anthy »

Manga is usually around 300-500 yen for the average 150-250 page volume... (~$3-6) Larger size volumes with color pages are more like 800-900 yen, but those are less common. Printed materials are generally way cheaper in Japan (and better printing quality), but CDs/DVDs and stuff are way more expensive.

linkdragon0
Veteran

#23 Post by linkdragon0 »

That's good. I don't watch DVD anime anyway. But I spend turdloads on manga and it makes me angry.

Sadly it just means I fork out more money for an inferior product. *sad*

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#24 Post by LVUER »

There are lots of "treasure" in their garbage. I couldn't believe they just throw away things (like toys, etc) that still in good condition (sometimes even brand new).

Someone need to teach them the meaning of "treasure your belongings" and "don't waste things"

... though this also means "One's garbage is someone else treasure" applies here
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

lepapillonrouge
Miko-Class Veteran

#25 Post by lepapillonrouge »

What I hate?

...Why would you ask such a question?! I love Japan. XD

But I think, since they're a first world country and all, they're becoming spoiled like the US. -_-; Please. We don't need another one of us. (cries)

Hey, I'd kill for their garbage then. XDD
Oh, now that I think about it, are they still a little iffy on immigrants? My mom told me that a lot of Filipinos that work there are treated like lower class. Same with Koreans. I know the latter happens for sure, or else Korean people wouldn't be so angry at Japanese people. (Aka, the Hetalia anime would've shown on televisions. -gets shot-)
deviantART
---------------------

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#26 Post by MaiMai »

lepapillonrouge wrote:What I hate?
Oh, now that I think about it, are they still a little iffy on immigrants? My mom told me that a lot of Filipinos that work there are treated like lower class. Same with Koreans. I know the latter happens for sure, or else Korean people wouldn't be so angry at Japanese people. (Aka, the Hetalia anime would've shown on televisions. -gets shot-)
I think they've always been a bit iffy about foreigners since it dates back to when Japan was forced to open their country up to trade. I read an editorial in the New York Times from a Japanese citizen who had criticisms for his own country-- about the suicidal rate, how Japan is too focused on being stable since World War II, and to connect back to what you were saying, they don't mix their blood enough.

Japan is an economic superpower no doubt, but their economy has been stagnate since the last time I checked.
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

Fluffycrow
Regular
Projects: Akita Files (WIP, mystery/otome)

#27 Post by Fluffycrow »

Whaling. The things they've done to other countries in the past (i.e. China in WWII). But the, that's only history, so I can't blame modern Japan for that. Also, the lack of VN exports.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#28 Post by LVUER »

What I want to blame is ... although the government declare to the world that they are "sorry" for what they did in the past, the reality is not like that.

I remembered one high-ranking military JSDF officials (the air force to be exact) wrote an essay that describe that what Japan did to Korea is justified and not a wrong invasion. Of course this person was immediately fired. I also know that some facts were erased/bent from the history books, so that the younger Japan generation wouldn't know the real truth behind WW2 (though I couldn't say our version is the absolute truth... but still contain more truth).

So, perhaps the Japan's government (or the policy) is toward peace and regretting what they've done, but the people aren't so.

---------
Source: NHK, internet, and friends that had lived there for more than 15 years.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

HiroC
Regular
Projects: White Lily(GXB)

#29 Post by HiroC »

i hate the fact that 18+ stuffs are boldly sold to the public.
Last edited by HiroC on Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Projects:
::Currently in Progress::
>>>White Lily GXB
Will go hiatus because of my work. TT__TT

linkdragon0
Veteran

#30 Post by linkdragon0 »

Yeah, i've seen pics where they're just right up in your face.

Their fried chicken is amazing though. Or so I've heard.