What do you hate about Japan?

For the rest of your otaku life.
LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

Re: What do you hate about Japan?

#61 Post by LVUER »

What? Do you mean how they have so many Kamen Rider (cyborg/human experiment) ^_^
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

EmmaShan

#62 Post by EmmaShan »

LVUER wrote:What? Do you mean how they have so many Kamen Rider (cyborg/human experiment) ^_^
No, lol, more like.....

err, can't exactly explain it. Just look up "human experimentation in Japan".

jadacamilla
Regular

#63 Post by jadacamilla »

LVUER wrote:What? Do you mean how they have so many Kamen Rider (cyborg/human experiment) ^_^

lol! I never thought kamen rider wud be taken as an example(a fan of kamen riders)

on topic:

I really don't like the fact that school days until saturday (has saturday and sunday as rest day in her country) and the vacation is very limited(has 3 months summer vacation)

LVUER
King of Lolies

#64 Post by LVUER »

I can't hate it since in my country, I also went to school and am working from Monday to Saturday. So it's the same like Japan.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account

tigerkidde
Regular
Projects: Summer Tales of Katt and June

#65 Post by tigerkidde »

Quite a few things, but what country is perfect?

Nationalism.

Outlook toward the Ainu.

Japan's view and portrayal of women.

The blurring/mosaic genitals, yet depicting rape, sexual acts involving preteen-like characters, violent mutilation, blood & gore are far more acceptable. Now this is probably just me, but unblurred genitals aren't as bad, ugly, or disgusting as rape and people getting ripped in half and the like.

Peer pressure conformity or risk social alienation and social bullying. Yet dramatic presentations (anime, manga, drama) demonstrate uniqueness and/or unique situations, different from the "norm".

Mentality of "would rather suffer personal injure or shame" than resist (i.e. getting groped in silence, if only Happosai were so lucky)

It may be easier to acknowledge less desirable elements of a culture once you experience negative elements from said country or interact with nationals who let it be known their own concerns with their nation's culture. In the meantime, said culture's highlights are held on a pedestal and their perceived flaws swept under a rug.

sayuri
Veteran
Projects: It's a secret~

#66 Post by sayuri »

I have no personal experience with Japan. I read this article, though, and even though some of it seemed a little biased it was quite informative.

http://www.thejapanfaq.com/FAQ-Primer.html

It seems to be it would be harder to be a woman coming to Japan than a man. Japanese men, the bishonen we see are cute but the average guy is, well, average. On the other hand it seems all Japanese women are cute and thin. I guess I feel that if I worked hard getting to Japan and learning the language I wouldn't want to be harshly compared to a Japanese woman.

NosatsuBishie

#67 Post by NosatsuBishie »

probably how they criticize people different from them.(I'm particularly pointing to you school boys who have done nothing but bully the weak)

Admitting it was biased. Being an exchange student for an academic meet, i was sent to this particular school... and i just happen to be a bit tanner than the usual fair skin(please forgive my sporty self) and then punk! the studs had been isolating and bullying me regarding my color...and hey, they actually have no right to do that kind of thing..no wonder they are poor at their english(they don't focus on studying at all) i was sooo disappointed in the kids there.... thinking back i should have given them a good punch or two before i left that school.
(and here i am, going to be a student there next year.... better be prepared)

LVUER
King of Lolies

#68 Post by LVUER »

Bullying (in highschool) is quite a problem (and common too) in Japan, worsened with how they treat non-Japanese people. Furthermore, in Japan there is a culture which called "inside circle" and "outside circle". Inside circle is the people inside their group while outside is ... everybody else. It's very hard to enter the inside circle and they're pretty much ignore people from outside circle.

I just could say hang in there, things will get better.

DeviantArt Account

Riviera
Miko-Class Veteran

#69 Post by Riviera »

How about the fact that so many of their awesome games and game bonuses never come over here? I'm looking at you, Square Enix. You too, Sony.

I'm half-arsedly learning the language from sheer frustration that so many games and other things will be completely unplayable and unexperienceable (hooray for making up words) unless I do so.

Pretty superficial reason compared to many others posted here, but... eh.
Will edit/proofread for cookies.

I do free voicework! Click here for samples

lepapillonrouge
Miko-Class Veteran

#70 Post by lepapillonrouge »

The outside circle should screw the rules and fight the power.

Well, okay, this is Japan, and they're very controlled by their society...but still. I guess people still beat each other up there because they're different...hopefully someone will speak up for them.

How do they treat Okinawans then...?
deviantART
---------------------

LVUER
King of Lolies

#71 Post by LVUER »

Outside circle means someone outside the groups. Someone in inside circle of one group could be someone in outside circle of other group (even if he's Japanese). Even if Japanese is very social and take care the others, it only truly applies to someone in inside their own circle. I heard that if you see a girlfriend beaten up by her own boyfriend, you shouldn't do a thing since she's outside of your circle. Very different from my country where people likes to stick their nose on somewhere they don't belong.

I don't know how they specifically treat Okinawans. I only know Japanese in general.

DeviantArt Account

freia-chi

#72 Post by freia-chi »

i rarely saw okinawans lurking in the city though.... but i so many from other cities lurking and taking their time sidewalking in the streets of okinawa. i'm not really from okinawa. and about schooling, i'm not a pure japanese but i wasn't bullied or anything, i also have met some foreign exchange students but i never saw bullying or anything, in fact, foreigners are quite sticked by because they seemed to be "new" change to the social society.

Though, i wud admit that bullying indeed happen but probably in public schools cause i attend private jr. high school.

kinougames
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Working on ミツマタ [Mitsumata (c)].

#73 Post by kinougames »

I hate how Japan causes so many Western fans to fetishize them, and then apparently causes about 50% of those same Western fans NOT to criticize poor things they do or their historical/scientifically studied problems, but instead attack the very culture that caused the Westerners to fetishize them in the first place.

And I agree with Ren.
Check out the new interactive media project, Mitsumata(c). Follow 8 colorful characters in a story full of drama, horror, all sexualities and exciting gameplay~!

Development blog's up! Visit!

Fluffycrow
Regular
Projects: Akita Files (WIP, mystery/otome)

#74 Post by Fluffycrow »

LVUER wrote:Outside circle means someone outside the groups. Someone in inside circle of one group could be someone in outside circle of other group (even if he's Japanese). Even if Japanese is very social and take care the others, it only truly applies to someone in inside their own circle. I heard that if you see a girlfriend beaten up by her own boyfriend, you shouldn't do a thing since she's outside of your circle.
That sort of thing is common in many cultures; it's as if you're meant to ignore everyone you're not acquainted with... I never did understand how people DO get acquainted in places like that. I'm from the southern US where people are generally very open and friendly to strangers, and when I moved to even a different state in the same country, the general attitude was the opposite. It was a bit scary, to be honest.

Topagae

"Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit a

#75 Post by Topagae »

"Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit..."
Last edited by Topagae on Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.