How many anime DVDs is too many?

For the rest of your otaku life.

When your anime collection reaches what size, should you seek professional help for your "problem" / "addiction"?

1- You like anime? You need help...
4%
2-19
9%
20-49
No votes
50-99
9%
100-199
4%
200-399
No votes
400-799
13%
800-1499
No votes
1500+
4%
The only "problem" exhibited by a large anime collection, is the monumental task of alphabetizing, indexing(by genre, number of episodes, release date, etc.), obtaining enough shelf space, and transporting them
57%

Total votes: 23

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

How many anime DVDs is too many?

#1 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

In the spirit of Blue Lemma's last poll, "How many manga do I have", I'd like to ask "how many anime DVDs do I have?" Of course, no one really cares about that, so to make things more interesting, instead I will ask "When your anime collection reaches what size, should you seek professional help for your 'problem'?" I won't say exactly how many DVDs I have... Not yet, anyway...
I realize that the results will be a bit skewed, because most of us like anime. But I'm most interested in what other anime fans think anyway. I wonder if other fans would tell me that I have a serious problem... O_o

Ezzetabi
Regular

#2 Post by Ezzetabi »

The problem start existing at first infinitum cardinality (the one of N) ;)
And it become REALLY dangerous at the second infinitum (the one of R)

If you have a finite number you can always keep a tidy list using your computer, at most you need a couple of new hard disks...

So
1500+
My shoujo attack's tutorial page is completed!

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: NaNoRenO 2016, Ren'Py tutorial series

#3 Post by Megaman Z »

The only "problem" exhibited by a large anime collection, is the monumental task of alphabetizing, indexing(by genre, number of episodes, release date, etc.), obtaining enough shelf space, and transporting them
that's about right. my only question is who voted "1- You like anime? You need help..."... at post time, it was "1"
~Kitsune Zeta

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#4 Post by musical74 »

I don't have all that maybe - 16, between DVD and (GASP) VHS - but that primarily is because I don't have the $$$ to purchase them...I rent them off and on, as it's a LOT easier paying $3.29 for 5 days...yeah yeah, I'm cheap, but when you don't have much free money...

However, if you were to ask how many anime-based GAMES I have...uhhhh.....let's just say it's a LOT more.
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

Anime based games? Is that console, or PC? I loved games with anime art, and would do anything to get them. Azure Dreams, Thousand Arms, Tales Of Destiny... But I really couldn't find that many games. What kind of games do you have, and where did you get them?

darkknight
Veteran

#6 Post by darkknight »

ok azure dreams i have been looking everywhere fore that and thousand arms i have it...

And megaman...as you could probably guess that was me!!!You want to make something of it
If one man speaks out in a crowd against everyones opinion...Who will be remembered? The one who spoke his mind, or the millions that spoke against him....

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

darkknight wrote:And megaman...as you could probably guess that was me!!!You want to make something of it
So, it was you!!!! *points the finger of shame at darkknight*

Just kidding- though I was a little surprised to see that anyone here had that opinion. And it's weird that you would like anime games, but not anime...
So, you've been looking for Azure Dreams? Have you only heard of it, or have you actually played it once? I got it a while back because my cousins had it, and I thought it was sooo awesome!! In fact, I bought the game several months before I even got my PS2 (don't have a PS1) in anticipation. I've even thought about making a pure ren'ai game out of it with Ren'Py, but seeing as I wouldn't be able to host it at the archives, I was a little discouraged T_T . But... if people were interested enough, I might consider going with it and just hosting it on my own website...

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#8 Post by musical74 »

Actually, ShiraiJunchi, it's a bit of both PC and console...finding the console anime games is pretty challenging, because the volume of people looking for it far surpasses the number of people selling them. MOST of the console-based anime games I have I got at a place called Gamestop or GameCrazy...a couple I found while searching eBay...but be prepared to shell out a fair amount for them...Alundra was 14.99 without the manual, 22.99 with, Tales of Destiny for 17.99 (still not bad), Thousand Arms for 34.99 (UGH), Lunar 1 for 29.99 and Lunar 2 was 39.99...most of the amine-based PC games I would get either via DL (The underdogs has a great selection of anime-based games) or a local store :)

I've played Azure Dreams quite a bit...it's a fun game with a bit of a different focus from different rpg/action hybrids games, which makes it very enjoyable...it could ALMOST count as a bishoujo game, because part of the focus is trying to win the hearts of the various women in the game. One of the things I REALLY liked about it was you have a rival (well, he considers you a rival, sooooooooooo....), the sister of the rival you can flirt with (much to his dismay!) and it's very open-ended as far as how you go about getting everything. (OK, OK, now I need to find it again...I've just convinced myself to get it!)

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#9 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

Making fun of Ghosh (your rival) was so much fun!!! He doubled the game play value! In the beginning he always got the better of you, but later, you really get to show him up.
And it's the only game I know of where people start selling t-shirts with the main character's face on it! Oh, it was so awesome... It really makes me want to compile all the ren'ai elements into ren'py...

Oh, and I'll start taking guesses for how many DVDs I have, for anyone who thinks they have any idea. (I'll give you a hint- at least 1 person thinks I need help ^_^)

Sai
Winged Hybrid

#10 Post by Sai »

Haibane Renmei set (4 DVDs) (complete)
Alien 9 set (1 DVD) (complete)
Someday's Dreamers set (3 DVDs) (complete)
Kino's Journey set (4 DVDs) (complete)
Fruits Basket (4 DVDs) (complete)

Oh! My Goddess Movie
Oh! My Goddess OVA (2 DVDs) (complete)

Card Captor Sakura Movie 1
Card Captor Sakura Movie 2
Card Captor Sakura TV (18 DVDs) (complete)

Pokemon Movie 2
Pokemon Movie 3

(complete) as in all episodes.

I think thats it. 41 DVDs.
Also have a bunch of VHS from when DVDs weren't available (just like I have a bunch of single comics lying around somewhere from when graphic novels weren't as commonplace...).

You can never have enough anime, that's my answer to the question =D You'll just have to build an extension to your house if it gets that far =)

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#11 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

You have all of CCS?! Ahhh... a kindred spirit... Bet you were mad when you found out they were releasing the box sets... I could've saved so much money T_T

You have a pretty good collection. Is that the complete Someday's dreamers collection? Is it only three DVDs? I saw the first episode, and I really liked it, so I'm waiting for the box set

Sai
Winged Hybrid

#12 Post by Sai »

ShiraiJunichi wrote:You have all of CCS?! Ahhh... a kindred spirit... Bet you were mad when you found out they were releasing the box sets... I could've saved so much money T_T

You have a pretty good collection. Is that the complete Someday's dreamers collection? Is it only three DVDs? I saw the first episode, and I really liked it, so I'm waiting for the box set
Boxsets? Not heard anything about that. Oh well. It's always the way.
Like how I decided to buy all of X-Files and bought the first season then they decided to repackage/re-release the rest in a cheaper/different format. As I'd bought season 1 in that format I couldn't apply for a free collectors box. Blah! Oh well.

Looks like it's released by a different publisher. Unusual.
I guess its a shame but I got alot of them when there was an offer on so its not so bad. There was an exclusive offer at Amazon.com selling the first 15 DVDs altogether with 40% off retail price. Then I bought the last 3 individually.
It was mostly because I saw the offer that I decided to go for it and also because I'd never really heard anything bad about the series and what I'd seen of it on TV (yep the highly edited version I know) was pretty good.
It was a bit of a leap of faith buying the whole series in one go without having watched much of it before. But I was very glad I did. I had a fantastic time watching the whole series during a holiday each day right to the end. I didn't want it to end! By the end of it I was overwhelemed, in a good way.

I see they're releasing Kodocho no Omocha (Child's Toy) on DVD now. That also is gonna be a whopper of a series for anyone to collect... Perhaps I should wait for an offer -_-

The Someday's Dreamer is a boxset (anything I've put "set" with is the complete series in a box). So yeah that 3 DVDs is all the series.
Another leap of faith. Its a nice series though. But a bit slow in pace. I mean Haibane Renmei and Kino's Journey also isn't action packed but I felt those series have more of a clever spark over Someday's Dreamer but it still is a very nice anime in itself.

darkknight
Veteran

#13 Post by darkknight »

ShiraiJunichi wrote: (I'll give you a hint- at least 1 person thinks I need help ^_^)
Who would that one person be...
And i really dont like anime games that much i have only played two of the games on this forum all the way through
If one man speaks out in a crowd against everyones opinion...Who will be remembered? The one who spoke his mind, or the millions that spoke against him....

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#14 Post by musical74 »

I'll start the guessing...gonna go on the highish end and guess 200.

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#15 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

Darkknight wrote:And i really dont like anime games that much i have only played two of the games on this forum all the way through
Really? ... hmmm... so, what is it that appeals to you about these forums?
musical74 wrote:I'll start the guessing...gonna go on the highish end and guess 200.
Alright, the first guess. And your guess is... *drum roll*... low. Any more guesses?