Some Questions I'd like to Know the Answers to...

For the rest of your otaku life.
Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess
Completed: Soul and Heart, Twin Faces
Projects: Soul and Heart Replay; The Court of the Two Sides (tentative title)
Organization: Lion Box Studios
Tumblr: lumenizampel

Some Questions I'd like to Know the Answers to...

#1 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

1.) If the setting of the visual / kinetic novel you are playing is too cliche (highschool etc.), would it be nice to have twists on the story?

2.) What genres of VNs / KNs mix best?

3.) Does characters having a sad or tragic past too common in your opinion?

4.) What books or novels do you think would make a great VN / KN?

5.) Would it be nice if a VN / KN 's characters are based on persons in real life?

6.) Do you think that discrimination is a good conflict on a VN / KN story?

7.) What would be the best and easiest way to express characters singing in a VN / KN without voicing?

8.) For you, what is the otome game you have seen (finished or WIP) that has many number of obtainable boys?

9.) Same gender twins that have TOTALLY different personalities. Have a big tension between them. But they still talk to each other normally : Too weird?

10.) Does mixing of genres a confusing thing in VNs and KNs?

That's all... Thank you so much~

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Some Questions I'd like to Know the Answers to...

#2 Post by gekiganwing »

Lumen_Astrum wrote:1.) If the setting of the visual / kinetic novel you are playing is too cliche (highschool etc.), would it be nice to have twists on the story?
Hmm, good question. It's probably good to remember that no work of fiction is completely original. But this is not necessarily a bad thing. See the Cliche Storm topic on TVTropes for more on this.

That said, let's say that you decide to write a love triangle story in which all three characters attend the same school. If you want to make your story stand out, then you may benefit from adding a few twists. Or you can focus on your writing or your art.
Lumen_Astrum wrote:3.) Does characters having a sad or tragic past too common in your opinion?
Like most things, a character's backstory can be done well or poorly. I figure that it should make sense in relation to how the character currently acts. It's probably best to avoid infodumping.
Lumen_Astrum wrote:5.) Would it be nice if a VN / KN 's characters are based on persons in real life?
Many writers model their characters after real life people. But it's probably best to make sure there's some clear distinctions between the real person and the fictional character. (For instance, don't portray a chara based on your real life ex as a yandere!)

It's acceptable in fiction to portray real life people in a story. But in order to avoid libel, it's probably best to avoid people who are currently alive.
Lumen_Astrum wrote:6.) Do you think that discrimination is a good conflict on a VN / KN story?
I can't think of a VN or a KN that included this theme. So if you think you can work it into a story without being heavy-handed, I might be interested.
Lumen_Astrum wrote:8.) For you, what is the otome game you have seen (finished or WIP) that has many number of obtainable boys?
Tokimemo Girl's Side (DS version, fan translated). The game is elaborate and complex. If the heroine increases more than a few stats, and especially if she tries multiple jobs/clubs, it's possible to meet quite a few obtainable male characters. But that also means that if she ignores them, she might get "bombed" by some of the guys, which ruins her social standing.

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#3 Post by Sapphi »

1.) I would say it would probably be a good idea, just so that your project stands out somehow amidst a sea of other school stories. Not that you can't write a good story without resorting to gimmicks to "sell" your idea, but it helps.

2.) I'm not entirely sure what you're asking here.

3.) There's a lot of it, but I don't mind if a character had a sad past. The important thing is, is it relevant to the story? So many people just seem to add sad stuff to stories as a side note, like "Oh yeah, both his parents died in a fire" but the character's personality doesn't address this, and it isn't used as a plot device. It just comes across as trying to generate sympathy, except it doesn't work because it's just... bleh. So as long as it's well-written and relevant, it's fine in my opinion.

4.) Ooh.. this is an interesting question. I'd like to see a Flowers for Algernon KN. Also...in general, I like reading (60s-80s) science fiction books. They usually have psychedelic or otherwise awesome cover art, and take place in the future or in other worlds, so the setting artistically would be very different. Taking cues from the amazing old cover art these books tend to have, and the descriptions of the various settings, I think some awesome and unique kinetic novels could be made.

5.) Hmm... I don't like to do it, as I don't know many people well enough to write them accurately, and I also feel like characters have their own identity. I want them to be unique, not taken from a friend's personality. Because.. even though I've created them, I still feel like I'm always getting to know my own characters as individuals. But that's me speaking as a writer.

6.) Yes, but there is too much tendency for it to turn into a moral, righteous speech about WE ARE ALL EQUALS! and it becomes very preachy and annoying, even if one agrees with the message. However, I think that done subtly, it's a good conflict. Maybe focusing on the feelings of everyone involved rather than the obvious "IT'S JUST WRONG!" sort of approach.

7.) I never thought about this... But I would suggest play a song that has the melody of what they're singing, and if the words are significant, you could write them in italics or something.

8.) I.. haven't really seen many otome games... so I can't really comment on that.

9.) I don't think so. It seems to be a common trope, actually.

10.) As with #2, I don't really understand the question as far as "genres" is concerned.
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

gundestiny
Regular

#4 Post by gundestiny »

1.) I honestly love twists (if they're executed properly) particularly in cliche's as it pulls it further away from actually being a cliche xD -- As long as it's not a cliche twist though >_>"

2.) Hmm, I don't think there is a bad mix. Unless you make a children's horror <-- That might be bad ^^"
Majority of genres can mix as long as the story still flows. Drama, romance, horror, sci-fi, thriller, war, cooking(o.o?), paranormal, fantasy, mystery etc..
It'd be a wacky story, but the best mix is whatever suits your storytelling style.
[I know I can tell a fantasy story much easier than a mystery/detective story]

3.) Well.. I think what's too common is that a tragic past is thrown on for no particular reason. As said before, it should be relevant to the story, not just to develop sympathy..

4.) Entirely personal opinion here but I'd like fantasy-romance novels to become VN/KNs ^^ Mostly because I'm a sucker for them.
Really, nearly any novel could be pulled off if executed properly ^^

5.) I know in my Visual Novel I use content from people I know. It's much easier to write something when someone has had 1st hand experience. Note, I ask for their consent though.

6.) I'm being lazy here and agreeing with Sapphi xD

7.)Background melody, italics and quotation marks [Same as above xD]

8.) Most I've seen is 5... then again, despite me being a girl I prefer BxG games more :P Thus I don't play Otome games as much

9.) Hmm.. if they had 'totally different' personalities, then wouldn't that mean one would be inclined to talk to the other, while the other one won't? Just sayin'... but if they're both putting on a mask for public appearances (pretending there is no tension) I guess it wouldn't be weird :S

10.) As long as you make em' clear. For instance: if you're doing a drama-romance novel, then *BAM* a space ship comes outta no where, makes a scene then leaves, never to return again, and everything goes back to normal, readers might be thinking "Uhhh.. What just happened?" <-- that would be a poor/wacky use of sci-fi xD
As long as they're all relevant to the story it's all good ^^
DeviantArt
TUMBLR
Art is a passion and hobby, nothing more for me \o/

suzuki-han

#5 Post by suzuki-han »

1.) If the setting of the visual / kinetic novel you are playing is too cliche (highschool etc.), would it be nice to have twists on the story?
-In my opinion, there was never a VN/KN that has never had a twist. Doujin or commercial, they 'll have twists. Except that you decided to copy another game(that would violate the copyright matters). Anyway, take a look at Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side Series. Same concept, same mechanics, same types of princes, different stories. The twist definitely changes the whole VN once you put something 'wicked' on it. :wink:

-Genres usually doesn't matter as long as they mix well or go smoothly along the story. But I think too much chaining of genres results to totally lousy game.(i.e. Slice-of-life/comedy/drama/fantasy/supernatural/psychological--just seems too sick and I think only idiots would play a whacked game like this. Experiment, but stick to genres that would fit well with others too).

-To tell the truth, I never really encountered a VN, game or anime that has never had a character like this. But not that I don't like it but sticking to your question...yes, it's common.

-The Count of Monte Cristo. I dunno but this is one of a kind story I really love. Actually, it was particularly the only novel I've read just cause I am too sunk on manga. If it was manga, I could have given hundreds of suggestions.

5.) Would it be nice if a VN / KN 's characters are based on persons in real life?
-Yes then no. It really depends on the role they have in your VN/KN. Usually, characters based on real life were used in games that were also based in real life. In my stead, I collect information and observe around, if you base a certain character's attitude to real ones, it was best comparing and brainstorming about what you want him to be then create your own unique one. This also makes you create a better and much more refined character.

-Sorry, but it is something I'm very tired about. If you pursue a poor(by status) heroine, I guess that was a worth a shot but I do think there is something more of a better conflict than this(unless that your forte and it was the center of the plot).

7.) What would be the best and easiest way to express characters singing in a VN / KN without voicing?
-Depends on the mood. Figure that a love song with sad melodies goes with characters so effin' happy that their smiles reach their ears? If you've played/watched the Starry Sky OPs. Theirs was a good reference about this. :D

8.) For you, what is the otome game you have seen (finished or WIP) that has many number of obtainable boys?
OELVN- Fantasia Series
Commercial- Hakuouki, Otometeki Koi Kakumei Love Revolution, and Tokimeki Memorial Girls Side(with the 3rd having the widest selections)

9.) Same gender twins that have TOTALLY different personalities. Have a big tension between them. But they still talk to each other normally : Too weird?
-Remind me Kaoru and Hikaru('cept that they do relate on being evil) of Ouran High. Not really weird, they are siblings. Its just natural to talk with your sibling normally despite the contrast in personality.

-refer to my answer on no. 2.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#6 Post by LVUER »

Yes, it would be nice. Not a must, but a twist is always a welcomed-addition.

As long as it's good. Since we're talking about creativity, there is no the "best".

If it's important to the plot, why not? Character with sad/tragic past is as common as one without it.

I don't read many books or novels (I presume that you're not talking about manga). But I really enjoyed reading Tom Clancy novels and it would be great if there's a VN about those.

Depending on the execution. For me, it doesn't matter if a character is based on real life person or not. As long as it's good.

Again, if you could make a good story about discrimination, it could be good. Though that kind of story is not for everyone... So it would have tight demographics target market.

A loud (BG) song with lyrics written (as narration or dialogues). Or at least important part of the lyrics.

Princess Debut, Yo-Jin-Bo, RE:Alistair++.

Nope. Perhaps it is in real life. But in anime/manga/VN/KN, it's normal and quite common too. Besides, it could make things a little bit interesting.

No, I don't think so. Depending on how well you pull it.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Riviera
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by Riviera »

If the plot is executed well enough, it can be filled with cliches and still be a good game. That said, I really like to see a fresh twist on an old archetype.

Romantic/Comedy. Suspense/Horror. Those are the only pair that I can think of that are almost always together and usually well received when they are.

It is pretty darn common. That said, it doesn't automatically kill the character for me as long as the character is more than just a sad past.

The Black Jewels series would be pretty darn cool, but that's because I really like the world it's set in. I think it'd have to be rated mature, though, because it has a lot of dark and twisty things going on. So it's very unlikely.

It could be, but the average person's life wouldn't make the greatest game. I can't think how my own life would be exciting for someone else to read through and play.

If used well. It's a dicey thing, it has to fit within the world, it has to fit the character, and it has to be at least somewhat plausible in the situation.

Easiest? Grab a good free license song you'd like to use and simply write it out as if they were singing.

Best? Final Fantasy 6 had no voicing, yet the opera scenes were pulled off very, very well. I can't say for sure that that wasn't a voice in that song, but it didn't really have the sound of one, to me. I'm sure there is a way to emulate a voice with a program (not counting vocaloids although I guess you could do that) without using an actual voice.

Free: Fantasia 3. It has one of the biggest casts I've seen, and some great writing too!

Commercial: I guess if you combine the Starry Sky games you'd get a huge amount of bishies! Most of the ones I know of have 4-6, I can't think of any offhand with more than that.

No, in fact that's great. Reminds me of the twins in Host Club!

I don't think so.

That's all... Thank you so much~

You're welcome!~
Will edit/proofread for cookies.

I do free voicework! Click here for samples

flowerthief
Regular

#8 Post by flowerthief »

4) Heinlein novels! They're mostly dialogue anyway. It's typical to read page after page of two characters having a long intellectual conversation before you get to the next small piece of plot. Heinlein is one of the most intellectual fiction authors I know.
Customizable datesim in beta! Need testers!
Idolcraft - RPG-style bishoujo simulation