Do you play as same or opposite gender?

For the rest of your otaku life.
Ramidel
Regular

Re: Do you play as same or opposite gender?

#31 Post by Ramidel »

I personally tend to do female avatars where there's a choice (though I also replay heavily and go through with multiple genders). Romance sidequests in most RPGs be damned (except for BioWare and certain Japanese hybrid RPGs, the romance sidequests tend to be blah, and BioWare almost always puts in some yuri somewhere).

That said, damn BioWare for cutting all the gay options out of ME2. (Kelly doesn't count.)

Ivlivs
Veteran

#32 Post by Ivlivs »

Despite being a straight male, I usually prefer to play as female characters because they're nice to look at.
Jitteh Dawn --- A VN by Ivlivs

Eyndyne

#33 Post by Eyndyne »

I'm male, but I tend to play female characters for personal reasons. Those reasons, while not related to my interest in women, are nevertheless compelling enough for me to almost never play a male character if I have the option to do otherwise. All of my characters in MMOs are female, as are all the ones I have in MUDs and roguelikes.

The general exception of course, would be that when it comes to visual novels and dating sims, I never play otome games. I'm pretty certain this is because I've never found one I've been able to get into, period. Then again I've only tried two, because I have terrible luck finding them.

There is another exception, that if I'm given the choice of playing a female character versus playing a male character I actually like, I will nine times out of ten play the male character solely because I like said character. That is of course would only happen in games where character generation is not available.

But yeah, I usually play female characters if given the chance. Like I said, it's not because I'm a guy who is interested in girls, though I will admit that I usually play third-person instead of first. I know I'm contradicting myself, but hey.

I've probably said too much, if not too little.

Freelancer
Regular
Completed: Right in Two
Projects: Alex's Problem

#34 Post by Freelancer »

Eyndyne wrote:I'm male, but I tend to play female characters for personal reasons. Those reasons, while not related to my interest in women, are nevertheless compelling enough for me to almost never play a male character if I have the option to do otherwise. All of my characters in MMOs are female, as are all the ones I have in MUDs and roguelikes.

The general exception of course, would be that when it comes to visual novels and dating sims, I never play otome games. I'm pretty certain this is because I've never found one I've been able to get into, period. Then again I've only tried two, because I have terrible luck finding them.

There is another exception, that if I'm given the choice of playing a female character versus playing a male character I actually like, I will nine times out of ten play the male character solely because I like said character. That is of course would only happen in games where character generation is not available.

But yeah, I usually play female characters if given the chance. Like I said, it's not because I'm a guy who is interested in girls, though I will admit that I usually play third-person instead of first. I know I'm contradicting myself, but hey.

I've probably said too much, if not too little.
First off your screen name should be "Oxymoron"
Secondly, I have a feeling that the reason you play as female characters is the same reason I do. :wink:
[WIP] Alex's Problem
It's my first VN so I'm excited. :D
Character, BG, and CG artists are filled
Right in Two has been released. Download it today!

Miss-Mae
Regular
Projects: Waiting on Love
Organization: Kinki Skiddles Productions

#35 Post by Miss-Mae »

I'm a girl and I prefer to play as a girl most of the time... But I don't mind playing a boy as well. If a game has an option to be both (like a lot of Harvest Moon games), I normally play it first as a girl and then replay it as a boy. :) <3
Come visit me, if you like, at: http://www.miss-mae.deviantart.com / http://www.kinki-skiddles-games.deviantart.com <3 or on my NEW game making blog, which you can find here: http://kinki-skiddles.tumblr.com/ <3

Wintermoon
Miko-Class Veteran

#36 Post by Wintermoon »

Machus wrote:I find it more compelling to play the guy I wish I was, rather than the guy I actually am.
Playing as a girl wouldn't give me that option.
I like to play as the lesbian girl I wish I was, instead of the hetero guy I actually am.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#37 Post by LVUER »

So you wish you are a lesbian girl... I see...
Actually... me too... may be... I don't know... Agh, forget it -_- Let me pour that thinking into my manga and games
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

MiSi
Veteran
Completed: Santa
Projects: On Grey Wings, The Master's Call, Shadowborn ...while having many more in mind ;)

#38 Post by MiSi »

That's funny...
I always want to play as the gay guy I wish I was... though I'm a hetero girl actually :wink:
I always choose the male character when playing a game... I don't like female characters that much. Sometimes I think, they're silly... (yes, I can say that, cause I'm a girl :twisted: :) )

Celestie
Veteran

#39 Post by Celestie »

MiSi wrote:That's funny...
I always want to play as the gay guy I wish I was... though I'm a hetero girl actually :wink:
Why, that would be my motivation to play a male. xDDD

Yes, I usually tend to play as female, I wanna get all the handsome guys. I seriously need a boyfriend or something. Single fangirls are difficult to satisfy. Though it is difficult in a VN to find a female that isn't weak and simple minded or something (because weak means the guys can protect her, yes, but that's so cliche...and since I do tend to imagine that some part of me is the main character I better relate to a female character, even if I usually give them names of my imaginary OCs if I am given such an option), and in RPGs I usually play females as well. But they are never given any personality, so it's solely for being a female and thus imagining you are that female.
*pending signature, as in, I don't have any if this signature doesn't allow any 100px high images TAT*

Greeny
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Loop, The Madness
Projects: In Orbit, TBA
Organization: Gliese Productions

#40 Post by Greeny »

Wintermoon wrote:
Machus wrote:I find it more compelling to play the guy I wish I was, rather than the guy I actually am.
I like to play as the lesbian girl I wish I was, instead of the hetero guy I actually am.
So true.
In Orbit [WIP] | Gliese is now doing weekly erratic VN reviews! The latest: Halloween Otome!
Gliese Productions | Facebook | Twitter

Freelancer
Regular
Completed: Right in Two
Projects: Alex's Problem

#41 Post by Freelancer »

Greeny wrote:
Wintermoon wrote:
So true.
I'm beginning to feel less special. lol
[WIP] Alex's Problem
It's my first VN so I'm excited. :D
Character, BG, and CG artists are filled
Right in Two has been released. Download it today!

IonicMomo
Regular
Completed: Mail Order Bride
Projects: Untitled GxB game

#42 Post by IonicMomo »

MiSi wrote:That's funny...
This is true of me as well! That is...I don't wish I were a gay guy (I like being a girl!), but when there is an option to play a gay guy, I will choose that over a female. In all other situations, I prefer playing a heterosexual girl (I am one).

(There's something I strongly dislike about playing a lesbian girl...maybe because it always feels like the character just exists to titillate male players, in which I have no interest in participating.)
Current Project: Untitled GxB Game, Untitled NaNoRenO 2011
Completed Projects: Mail Order Bride

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#43 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

I tend to play as a female if given a choice because most games are male dominated and I like to be my own gender sometimes. I will play through as a male too though so I can see different things, like in mass effect.

Kimiko
Regular

#44 Post by Kimiko »

As a female, I usually play female characters… ^__^ But if the male character is cute, if there’s no romance in the game (Well… I liked Rune Factory Frontier, though…) and if it’s a single-player game I play as a male! ;3
Well... I prefer if people play their own gender, because when I'm in a gaming world, I usually assume if they are male, they are male, if they are female, they are female. Am I strange? xD
I'm going to smile like nothing's wrong. Talk like everything's perfect, act like it’s all a dream and pretend it's not hurting me.

Snowflower
Bishie Fangirl
Completed: Idol Crush
Projects: Shugojin!, RockRobin (openmodewriter), your highness
Soundcloud: jenna-yeon

#45 Post by Snowflower »

When the choice is given, I always play as the girl. When I was younger, in pokemon, even though I knew the guy was the main, I always played as the girl. :3

I don't know. I guess I felt like I could relate to the character more?

But when it's a game where the sex of the character is already chosen for you, I don't really care as long as the story is good.
Completed: Idol Crush | WIP: your highness | Hiatus: Shugojin!| Follow Me on Twitter | Subscribe to YouTube
your highness @ 102k as of 2/13