Do you play as same or opposite gender?

For the rest of your otaku life.
Electric Daisy

Re: Do you play as same or opposite gender?

#166 Post by Electric Daisy »

I prefer playing my own gender which is a girl of course,since i can feel the story more that way.i would NEVER play as a male character unless there is no female character and the male character was so damn hot that it take my breath away...

Kailoto
Veteran
Completed: No VNs, but a few novels. :D
Projects: Artificial, Seven Deaths (inactive)

#167 Post by Kailoto »

ladynamoru wrote:Sometimes I pick the mc gender base on the looks. But I agree that playing your own gender is more natural.

@Kailoto
your profile pic remind me of Persona3 (I like your profile).
Argh I suddenly miss Akihiko. (I better play it again, After im done with Artonelico )
Ehehe, I finished P3 FES about half a year ago. Now I have all this Persona-related content on my computer. Can't wait for Persona 5, it looks freakin' awesome.

Artonelico? A friend of mine has those games, I've thought about giving them a try. (He's the one that introduced me to Persona.) I've got to finish .hack first, though. :/
Things I've Written:
Sakura (Novel, Self Published, 80,000+ words)
City and Girl (Novel, First Draft, 70,000+ words)
Loka (Novel, Third Draft, 120,000+ words)

A layabout writer and programmer with lots of problems and even more ideas. Hyped for Persona 5.

Joshua1207
Regular
Projects: composed for: Sweetest Monster, AIdol, Syrup and the Ultimate Sweet
Organization: Mock Off
Soundcloud: Joshua1207

#168 Post by Joshua1207 »

I almost always play as females unless there are romances options (although if there are yuri options, then I will choose female because yuri all the way).
https://soundcloud.com/joshua1207
My newest hits^

Contact me if you need a composer!

Dylan_Bain
Regular
Organization: Dylan Bain Games

#169 Post by Dylan_Bain »

To me, a large part of games is the character design.

If you cannot design the character yourself, i will generally just go for the best looking character in a heroic sense.

However, if i can, I will play as the gender that has the most design options. The same applys to what age and role/class i will have.
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 52#p365552 Curently NOT Accepting Commisions!

JJupiterJump
Regular

#170 Post by JJupiterJump »

It depends on the game for me, if there's romance for example I choose to play as female. In MMOs I choose male unless I have a specifc design for the female. In RPGs I lean more towards males, unless I really like the female design. In VNs though I usually choose females.

I think I just like customizing/aesthetics of the males more, but when playing games where the protagonist has a more fleshed out personality I go with female, not sure why, haha.

truefaiterman
Veteran
Completed: EVOLVEd: Echoes of the Codex War. [ASH] The Seeds of Destruction
Projects: One Night of [SNOW], Stained with Magic
Deviantart: truefaiterman

#171 Post by truefaiterman »

I usually play characters of the same gender, but the last MMORPG I've played (Phantasy Star Online 2) I chose to play as female, instead. Then I started getting high-tier gifts because of kawaii desu ne and s**t.

So... I'll have to wear cyber-breasts more often.
Artist and voice actor, trying to actually write stuff.

ArtStation portfolio
Youtube channel

Recent finished projects:

Image Image

Kailoto
Veteran
Completed: No VNs, but a few novels. :D
Projects: Artificial, Seven Deaths (inactive)

#172 Post by Kailoto »

truefaiterman wrote:I usually play characters of the same gender, but the last MMORPG I've played (Phantasy Star Online 2) I chose to play as female, instead. Then I started getting high-tier gifts because of kawaii desu ne and s**t.

So... I'll have to wear cyber-breasts more often.
Way, waaay late reply, but I was reminded of a book that had something similar called Epic. In the book everyone builds their characters to have the most useful stats, since their income is based on their proficiency at the game; the main character decides one day to make a new female avatar and put all of the points into beauty. All of the sudden he starts receiving hidden gifts from NPCs and whatnot and quickly amasses a fortune.

There was a lot of other cool stuff in the series as well... it was a strong exploration of a society that is literally embedded in an MMORPG.
Things I've Written:
Sakura (Novel, Self Published, 80,000+ words)
City and Girl (Novel, First Draft, 70,000+ words)
Loka (Novel, Third Draft, 120,000+ words)

A layabout writer and programmer with lots of problems and even more ideas. Hyped for Persona 5.

pandinha93

#173 Post by pandinha93 »

same gender... but looking at the comments here, I will definitely try the opposite, just to test the water...

YuukiCrossPudding
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Gidget & The Mysterious Thievery of Hoppity Town
Projects: Cerulean, The Photographer, Stalker&Yandere, Enamored Risks, Who Is The Red Queen?
itch: yuukipudding

#174 Post by YuukiCrossPudding »

Sometimes I play as the same gender, sometimes not, it depends on the game and it's features I guess
Because there are games that have major difference in their feature/gameplay/designs if we chose to play as a female/male
Such as Fire Emblem, RF, HM... even Monster Hunter (albeit only for the armor designs)
Also I do remember there's a game that include a different player stats for each gender.

Daedalus

#175 Post by Daedalus »

Depends on the game and the actual character model, really. In WoW my main, mage, is female, as are my hunter and shaman - but my DK and paladin are male. In GTA:O my main is female, but in Hearthstone (I know, there the gender is hardly even shown) I mainly play warlock, who is male by default.

I have never really thought about being locked to one gender in games just because I'm male.

wayward
Regular

#176 Post by wayward »

In games where you have a choice of playing the two i play the gender that just generally looks better from an animation or design aspect. Back when I played world of warcraft i couldn't play night elf males because I thought the female casting/movement animations were way better. I only met one person who was bothered by it.

Marygold

#177 Post by Marygold »

I usually play as girl, because, male characters are just boring. Also girls usually have mooore costume/skin/settings customization than guys. I want to switch looks sometimes, and guys usually aren't flexible enough.

Ana
Regular

#178 Post by Ana »

It all depends on the type of game. If there's an option for romance (assuming only hetero romance), I always play as a girl (my own gender) for the first time, no exceptions. If there's no option for romance, I always seem to play as a guy (opposite gender). Guys in a lot of video games seem to have the (not-so-skimpy) nice outfits. Oh, and nicer voices, usually. I think when I first tried out Aion Online, I laughed at some of the girl voices. There was one voice that would scream every time the character would hit a monster. I don't really remember.

Back when I was much younger, I would usually play as a girl.
Also, if there's an option for gender-bending, I do that, a lot.

mediawriterdude
Completed: None
Projects: None! Starting from Scratch!
Organization: V. Valdemar

#179 Post by mediawriterdude »

Sorry to necro, if I am, but I prefer to play as the opposite sex.
The reason?
When I buy a game, I usually run through if a few times and on a first run-through I make HORRIBLE mistakes. So many, in fact, I'd rather distance myself from the character at first. With Mass Effect, my first run was not good. Yet, she was my favorite out of the 4 characters I made. So, I used her in 2 and 3 to great effect, not worrying about whether I'm playing the game optimally, but role-playing. Her path of being a nervous and by-the-book newbie to being a hardened and apathetic a-hole felt more like a VN than a rpg-shooter. And just as memorable!

:D

Amecha
Regular

#180 Post by Amecha »

Depends on the genre of the game, but even then its kind of a little bit random. Most games I tend to play as a girl if available. If the game has set characters that are playable that are only male or only female, and example being Path of Exile, you want to play a witch, you're a girl, an assassin, you're a guy, then I play whichever character/class I want regardless of gender. Sometimes I specifically play a male if I'm going for more roleplay play through.
For my favorite series, Harvest Moon (and now Story of Seasons) I typically dig through the bachelors and bachelorettes and depending on who I want to go for I pick a gender that reflects that. More often that not though I have to play a bit to get an idea of each characters personality and I always tend to play a starter file where I run around, get comfortable doing what I want and meeting all the characters, then near the end of the first year restart the game and start my FOR REALIOS file where I don't make any mistakes. (Like selling my goddamn honeycombs in ANB e_e) At that point I tend to have a good understanding of the characters and a clear idea of who I want to go for and then chose my gender. The first, messy playthrough is always a girl though because I feel like I can get a better idea of the girls that way. Most of the time though, I end up playing a girl as most of the bachelorettes don't interest me romantically save maybe one or two. And I love making all the dudes love me and then ditching them all for one guy whereas I feel mean when I do that to the girls.

For the newer HMs/SoSs I'll probably default to girl almost all the time because all the cute outfits hgrngrn.

TL;DR Girl most of the time. Depends though.