Do you play as same or opposite gender?

For the rest of your otaku life.
Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

Re: Do you play as same or opposite gender?

#16 Post by Samu-kun »

I generally play with a female avatar.... but recently, I've been regretting it. Like in Mass Effect 2, where the romance options for the female Shepherd was a) alien lizardman b) alien maskman c) straitlaced black officer or d) bald crazy chick. (I'm surprised the Krogan wasn't available.) After I realized those were my choices, I really wanted to play as the male Shepherd all of a sudden... I think I'll start playing as the male more often now...

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#17 Post by LVUER »

That's why look at my criteria when choosing the gender. It's based on my experience (which is similar to yours)...
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#18 Post by Aleema »

Jack wasn't romancable in ME2 (aka "bald crazy chick") for women. Not sure why you'd assume so? I'm actually pretty thrilled that you were discouraged from playing the female avatar in hopes of lesbian fanservice. Thrilled beyond the stars. And you don't get to complain about the other romances because they weren't made for you. :3 Heck yeah throw in the Krogan. The more the developers recognize there are people who play their game that aren't just men in girl costumes, the better.

LVUER
King of Lolies

#19 Post by LVUER »

I am discouraged playing as female avatar ONLY if there's multiple get-able female characters AND I'm not allowed to do lesbianism ^_^
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account

Freelancer
Regular
Completed: Right in Two
Projects: Alex's Problem

#20 Post by Freelancer »

For a reason I won't explain here, it's difficult to say whether or not I am playing most games as my gender.
But in most games I used to play as a male character because I could Identify better with a male character (Though often I would start a 2nd Playthrough as a female character to see how things are different, like armor graphics and the like) and the avatar is not really someone you are supposed to look at but instead someone you are supposed to be. It's for these same reasons that I now play as Female Characters (On the 1st Play through) This is a REALLY new habit, (Fable 3, Fallout New Vegas) However I still chose a male Commander Shepard, because it makes more sense in the story (To me) and I had previously played as a Male Commander Shepard.
[WIP] Alex's Problem
It's my first VN so I'm excited. :D
Character, BG, and CG artists are filled
Right in Two has been released. Download it today!

suzuki-han

#21 Post by suzuki-han »

I never have played the games you've mentioned but as a female, I play the female perspective but it really depends.

The time I played P3P, I played the male perspective first(i love the main character) then played the female perspective(reason I bought p3p was because of this addition. With slight romance to the male characters xD)

When I played Summon Night TearsxCrown, I played the male perspective first(can you blame me when Jun Fukuyama voiced him?)but still goes for the male characters. I lastly played the female perspective and go for the male ones again. :D

Well, though I think this game is definitely not my cup of tea(the endings sucks too) but in Code Geass R2:barajou etc; I only played the female perspective turns out all endings are stupidly boring. -_-

So I think, it really depends on your type of preference(if there was romance). I don't mind a bxb but I'm definitely more on gxb kinds of perspective either way, I want to get the boys. :)

LVUER
King of Lolies

#22 Post by LVUER »

I play Soul Nomad and the World Eaters as female. And I don't have even the slightest intention to play as the male character (though perhaps I will someday). Because as females there are so many funny scenes and is way better than when you play as male.

DeviantArt Account

Twisted-Eva
Regular
Projects: Our Crossing Paths

#23 Post by Twisted-Eva »

I really don't mind playing as a male character, but I'd wish that there were more games (specifically some popular otome games) where I can play as the female character more often. Some games I'll pick the female character if there's an option, such as Fallout 3, because I feel more like myself instead of sounding like a playboy like in Persona 3 and 4. I don't know why, maybe it's the habit of increasing social links that I talk as if I'm dating a bunch of girls via the male character in P3 (seriously, before P3P WHY on earth would the game force you to date the girls for the sake of social links and there's no options to stay as friends?).

Side note: It's baffling how in P3's male route, the player has like what? 6 girls to date (teammates and NPCs), but no social links with the male teammates? P3's female route has like what? Only Ken, Ryoji, Akihiko, and Shinjiro to date (scratch Ken... I'll just picture it as older sister figure...) some friendship routes with the female teammates, but no dating with the other male NPCs?

All in all though, if it came down to playing a game that allowed you to choose your gender, then I'll always go with female... unless the female route sucks and I'm hoping for better interaction with the male route.
Deviantart Account
Current Project: Our Crossing Paths [GxB] [Alternate History/Drama]

LVUER
King of Lolies

#24 Post by LVUER »

Before P3P? P4. In P4, you could just stay friends... but really, who will pick "let's just stay friends" when you can have your own personal harem >_< (I definitely will not!!!)

DeviantArt Account

Twisted-Eva
Regular
Projects: Our Crossing Paths

#25 Post by Twisted-Eva »

LVUER wrote:Before P3P? P4.
Whoops, sorry about the misunderstanding but I'm just comparing the differences between P3 and P3P. Yeah, I'm well aware of the significant improvements in P4 and how the game mechanics as well as tweaks in social links of P4 were implemented in P3P (thank god, I don't have to deal with Mitsuru's retarded move of wasting SP on Marin Karin...). I'm just comparing the differences in the use of social links between the original P3 and the improved version that is P3P.

As for the whole harem thing... Yeah it might be nice, but it's so messy that you can't really go on a date with any of your girlfriends at the same time... If that really happened the same way it did in P4 where girls (and even guys...) would get mad that the player is spending the Sunday with one of the girlfriends. Maybe I'm just one of those people who think how it should be "one-on-one" relationships with no harem. Maybe it's just silly for me to play one playthrough getting together with Chie, and the next with Naoto... (For some strange reason, I'd rather not go out with Yukiko or Rise)

Riviera
Miko-Class Veteran

#26 Post by Riviera »

I always play female if I have the choice. Don't mind playing as a guy, and will do so if it's required or if I happen to be curious or if the romance options are cute. :)
LVUER wrote:I play Soul Nomad and the World Eaters as female. And I don't have even the slightest intention to play as the male character (though perhaps I will someday). Because as females there are so many funny scenes and is way better than when you play as male.
Oh, you're not kidding at all about that. I loved some of those scenes! It was just so much more awkward for Gig and god knows I love picking on characters I like.
Will edit/proofread for cookies.

I do free voicework! Click here for samples

broken_angel
Veteran
Completed: Memoirs of an Angel (2010)
Projects: Memoirs of an Angel (Remake); W.I.S.H

#27 Post by broken_angel »

Personally, I grew up playing my brother's games, which never gave an option as to the gender of the main character. In other words, they were always male. I can't think of one game I played as a kid where you could choose to play as a girl. The first one was probably Pokemon Crystal.

I didn't particularly mind it at the time, but now it makes me so happy when I can pick up a game and actually play as my own gender (female). Somehow, it's a lot more fun for me that way, especially if I can customize the look of my character, and particularly when there's romance involved. So, if the choice is given, I always choose to play as a female character.

dstarsboy
Veteran

#28 Post by dstarsboy »

I usually play games like Dragon Age and Mass Effect as a "good" male the first time through then a "evil" female the second time through. The experiences are different enough to make it worth playing twice.

As for MMORPGs or anything I'm playing for a long period of time, usually female. I know it's cliche but they really are more interesting to look at.
Current Projects:
The Isle of St Marcus

Machus
Regular
Completed: Haircuts, 99 Luftballons

#29 Post by Machus »

I almost always play as my gender, just to immerse myself further in the story

I find it more compelling to play the guy I wish I was, rather than the guy I actually am.
Playing as a girl wouldn't give me that option.
I'm available as a proofreader, just PM me. Thanks!

~Mau

Boniae
Regular
Completed: I want 2 be single and Forget-Me-Not
Projects: Cry Girlhood, Dakota Wanderers, Sagebrush
Organization: Rosewater Games
Tumblr: boniae

#30 Post by Boniae »

I usually play as a guy, sometimes it's fun to pretend for a couple of hours or so being a guy. XD

If I'm playing an otome game, I of course play as a girl.