Do you play as same or opposite gender?

For the rest of your otaku life.
Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

Do you play as same or opposite gender?

#1 Post by Blue Lemma »

I started playing some games like Mass Effect 2 and Fallout 3, and I ran into a big dilemma! Do I play as a male character, or do I play as a female character?

I'm male (despite the adorable avatar :P ) and into girls, so I like to see attractive female characters in the game, which leads me to choose female (behind avatar view! Never first-person!)
But, if I choose female, that limits my romantic options and skews them to being more male (bleh!)
I ended up choosing male for ME2 and female for F3.

What do you play as, and why?
“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.”
- Napoleon Bonaparte

I've retired from forum administration. I do not add people to the "adult" group, deactivate accounts, nor any other administrative task. Please direct admin/mod issues to PyTom or the other mods : )

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

Re: Do you play as same or opposite gender?

#2 Post by LVUER »

When I play games where I could choose gender, I usually play females. The reason? Simple, female protagonist is cuter than the male one ^_^

But there are certain conditions when choosing :
1. If there is no romance, then I choose female.
2. If there's only one "get-able" character, then I choose female.
3. If there's multiple "get-able" character, then I choose male, since I want to get those cute females ^_^
4. If there's multiple "get-able" character, but my female character could get another female character (yuri), then I choose female (hint: Summon Night, hehehe).

Please note that if there's different plot (even the slightest), then I'll play both female and male character (obviously, female first). Examples where male and female character have different plot are Rockman ZX, Threads of Fate, Summon Night: Swordcraft Story series.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#3 Post by jack_norton »

Depends on the character, if the female is more interesting, I play as her. Especially if I read that there's some lesbian theme :D
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#4 Post by Aleema »

I play as my gender whenever I'm given the option because I am so often not. I've only ever played a male character when given 2 options because I exhausted the other avatars and wanted to try something novel. I never finished the game, though. I've never played as a man so that I could simulate BxB, not considering if I could even if I wanted to.

Alex
Lemma-Class Veteran

#5 Post by Alex »

When playing RPG, I choose female character, 'cause usually it has the greater basic values of "dexterity" and "magic" stats...))

Deji
Cheer Idol; Not Great at Secret Identities
Projects: http://bit.ly/2lieZsA
Organization: Sakevisual, Apple Cider, Mystery Parfait
Tumblr: DejiNyucu
Deviantart: DejiNyucu

#6 Post by Deji »

When I'm able to choose, I pick female and if I can name her, I name her Deji most of the time xD;
I understand the guys picking up female characters because they're pretty, all my male friends and my boyfriend do that. It's extremely annoying on MMOs, though DX Looking at a pretty female character and knowing there is a bearded hairy guy behind it... ugh, not nice. I don't let my boyfriend have female characters to play with me; I threaten him with creating a male character if he does that and he drops the idea immediately C:

I'd never pick a male if I had to choose, unless I really disliked the available female(s) for some reason.
Tumblr | Twitter
Forever busy :')
When drawing something, anything, USE REFERENCES!! Use your Google-fu!
Don't trust your memory, and don't blindly trust what others teach you either.
Research, observation, analysis, experimentation and practice are the key! (:

chensterrain
Veteran
Completed: Lucky Rabbit Reflex!, Dusk ~A Moonlight Romance~
Projects: Edge of Elsewhere
Organization: Super63
Tumblr: supersixthree
Deviantart: chensterrain

#7 Post by chensterrain »

I pretty much always pick the female character, unless the game forces me to be a healer or something while the male character is a melee fighter (though luckily, I've only come across one or two games like this). Getting to play as a female character in JRPGs and the like is pretty rare, so I take my chances where I can get 'em! I generally don't particularly mind either way, though.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#8 Post by DaFool »

I always play as a little girl.

There's no way you can force me to stare at a man's ass all day long.

Jo'ogn
Veteran
Projects: Kassiopeia [iVN]

#9 Post by Jo'ogn »

In "Alone in the Dark 4" I choose to play Eileen, simply because playing 'Gumby' (spelling?) is just outright boring. In "Deus Ex IW" I played both the female and the male Alex D. I could find only one difference, that one guy in a bar turned gay on the male Alex D. X-D In interactive text roleplays I like to play females, because it's more believable that they act cutely and overly emotional o_o Basically I prefer to play female protagonists, because the males rarely represent the way I'd do things o_0 The other reason is:. I am male all day long, so playing chicks is kinda fun ^_^
Audio Plays: [original] The White Feathers Directive - [Star Wars] Through Flame and Shadow
Ren'Py: Kassiopeia [very interactive VN] work in progress - looking for proof reader english

Pyonkotchi
Veteran
Projects: Magical Warrior Diamond Heart, unLucky Love, Phantom Thief Asterism
Tumblr: magicalwarriordiamondheart
Deviantart: PastelPyon
itch: Pyonkotchi

#10 Post by Pyonkotchi »

I really don't care what gender I play as, Unless its a romance game, because usually the gender doesn't really affect the play through in most games.

I always play as my own gender whenever given the option though. which is female. Because I like to name the character after myself anyways.

if there are multiple save slots, (and romance!), I'll usually pick male for my second slot, since I'll want to play with the cute girls too. of coarse, if there's a gay option I'll just play as the girl.

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#11 Post by Sapphi »

Usually I'll play as a girl since I am a girl (and it's usually more fun to look at a girl character running around than your average-joe male character) but if I like the male design better I'll pick that.

For instance, in Pokemon Crystal and all the games after, I've picked the girl character because it's cuter/more fun to look at. However, after seeing the designs for Black and White, I had trouble deciding what I'd play as because I really liked the boy character's design. (Of course, I'll probably end up playing as a girl simply because all my other pokemon-playing friends are male and I like to be different... lol)
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

LVUER
King of Lolies

#12 Post by LVUER »

DaFool wrote:I always play as a little girl.

There's no way you can force me to stare at a man's ass all day long.
Couldn't be more agree with you. That's one of the reason I played as female character too ^_^
Deji wrote:When I'm able to choose, I pick female and if I can name her, I name her Deji most of the time xD;
I understand the guys picking up female characters because they're pretty, all my male friends and my boyfriend do that. It's extremely annoying on MMOs, though DX Looking at a pretty female character and knowing there is a bearded hairy guy behind it... ugh, not nice. I don't let my boyfriend have female characters to play with me; I threaten him with creating a male character if he does that and he drops the idea immediately C:

I'd never pick a male if I had to choose, unless I really disliked the available female(s) for some reason.
When playing a MMORPG, a general rule is the user real gender is the opposite of the avatar gender. I don't know why your BF don't want you to use male character... is it that bad?
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account

Robert Kirkland
Regular

#13 Post by Robert Kirkland »

I only choose a male if what I want to play is gender locked.

But the magician is almost never male so yay.

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#14 Post by Blue Lemma »

Deji wrote:I don't let my boyfriend have female characters to play with me; I threaten him with creating a male character if he does that and he drops the idea immediately C:
That's pretty funny :D
LVUER wrote:If there's multiple "get-able" character, but my female character could get another female character (yuri), then I choose female (hint: Summon Night, hehehe).
Pratty x Sugar = yay! :mrgreen:

Maybe some games should let you do gender-reassignment in the options? Especially if they're really long?
“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.”
- Napoleon Bonaparte

I've retired from forum administration. I do not add people to the "adult" group, deactivate accounts, nor any other administrative task. Please direct admin/mod issues to PyTom or the other mods : )

LVUER
King of Lolies

#15 Post by LVUER »

But if gender choice have some impact in storyline, it could mess the game quite a bit if you change the gender midway.

DeviantArt Account