Do you play as same or opposite gender?

For the rest of your otaku life.
Shes Fruity
Completed: N/a
Deviantart: FRULTY

Re: Do you play as same or opposite gender?

#196 Post by Shes Fruity »

Usually the same, but I'm not opposed to playing as a different gender. I usually make my character based off my main characters, which are mostly all female but the exception of 2 guys. :oops:

eridionn

#197 Post by eridionn »

I definitely prefer to play as male, for the very same reason that's been stated a lot on this thread - if I have to stare at someone's ass for several hours in a day, it better be a muscular man butt. My art consists of 99.99% of males too. Oops.

I'm alright with creating female characters too, though. Especially in BW games you get a very different reception depending on your race and gender, and that's always interesting. Of course, the romantic options are different too. I don't mind romancing the same gender in games either, because I can easily roleplay as a male.
There's a glimmer in the distance.

Reinoka
Deviantart: reinoka

#198 Post by Reinoka »

I generally prefer to play my own gender (female), especially if there's romance, character customization, ect. If I'm playing a male and there's romance in the game, I will still go for a male interest, if possible, since I'm not really attracted to girls.
Last edited by Reinoka on Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SexBomb
Regular
Completed: Up All Night, Reaper's Rite, Nameless
Projects: Up All Night 2
Organization: Fiendish Fiction
Tumblr: sexviolenceandvideogames
Deviantart: cooldrinkofwater
itch: fiendishfiction

#199 Post by SexBomb »

I'm male, and given a choice, I almost always play as male. The only game where I've actively chosen to play a female PC is probably Saints Row IV.

I agree with eridionn that playing through BioWare games as other genders/races can lead to a lot of interesting dialogues, but man, it took a lot of willpower for me to make it through DAO with a female PC just for the Alistair romance achievement... it was hard for me to play as a character I simply didn't connect with.

MilanaWalters
Regular

#200 Post by MilanaWalters »

I usually play as an opposite gender-male, i like to stare at his face or his muscular body and appreciate the beauty:P I may play as a female if i like the face or the body type, it rarely happens, cause usually they are very skinny, without any hard muscle(and even when they are supposed to be warriors or soldiers) and sometimes oversexulized or having too dollish looks.

eridionn

#201 Post by eridionn »

MilanaWalters wrote: I may play as a female if i like the face or the body type, it rarely happens, cause usually they are very skinny, without any hard muscle(and even when they are supposed to be warriors or soldiers) and sometimes oversexulized or having too dollish looks.
Yes, this. Especially in MMOs this is a massive thing so I rather play as a male. Also less creeper nerds around you lol
There's a glimmer in the distance.

Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pervert&Yandere, Stalker&Yandere
Projects: Roses Of The Thorn Prince

#202 Post by Mammon »

With VN's I actually prefer otome to otaku despite being male, because I tend to find the otome's romanceable routes more relatable than the cardboard-cutout protagonist men in otaku games. They have strengths, weaknesses and nuances I can relate to without feeling like they're pandering the character traits to me. And it helps that the protagonists in many (Lemmasoft) otome games are realistic and likeable girls that I'll call my Waifu faster than yet another D-cup'd airhead or tsundere (protaggirl=best trope). This might apply to us men more than women, considering otome tend to display their protagonists more often and add more character to them whereas otaku... Well, we all know how their protagonists tend to be.

With any other game genre, I prefer to be male rather than female if given the choice. It can feel a bit weird playing a female when that's not neccesary, though I don't have this feeling when playing as a little girl.
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?

Root13

#203 Post by Root13 »

I always play for female, though I'm a man. Women are just nice to play. But in real life I'm very happy to be a man and not to have these girls' problems)

aeri
Regular
Projects: Thereafter: A Medieval Life, What happens on camera doesn't always stay on camera, etc.
Organization: Meraki Tales
Tumblr: merakitales
itch: merakitales

#204 Post by aeri »

I say it's very dependent on the game...let's say for the harvest moon series (or at least the original...now it's the story of season franchise), I definitely choose the female protagonist over the male because I'm female and would like to pursue the bachelors of the game. Otherwise, unless there's a female that really attracts me visually or through her background description, I would opt to play male.

However! Because I also like BL contents, I would play the male protagonist that way (essentially, whichever has more guy eye candy, that's where I'm swayed)...

I'm all for BxG games if it's well-written and visually appealing...but I especially am done with a lot of BxG games because of the strong focus toward fan service and scantily-clad outfits even if the art is very appealing.

Amberbaum
Regular

#205 Post by Amberbaum »

Hm, I often heard the "don't want to stare at x genders ass all time" when people play as a character of the opposite gender. Is this really that much of an issue? I'm sorry but most of the responses baffle me and it never bugged me to play a female character as a woman just because of me looking at her behind or her legs or her back or whatever.

Sonomi
Veteran
Projects: Lethargy of Snow
itch: sonomi

#206 Post by Sonomi »

I agree with Amberbaum on this one. That is an interesting angle that I've not encountered often.

In any case, my choice usually depends on who is available. A lot of games have only male protagonists, so I wind up playing as men fairly often by default. If there is an option, then I usually opt to play as the female character. There is no particular reason, I suppose.

When I play with others, I am usually the only female anyway, so it tends to add a bit of variety. The exception: if I am playing a fighting game with a large roster (E.g. DBZ, MK, etc.), then I either choose at random or pick the character I like the most.

Ran08
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: https://ran.itch.io/
Projects: Fate's Cafe
Tumblr: otometwist
itch: ran

#207 Post by Ran08 »

Generally, I don't really care much about the player character's sex. I've always been into games so I'm used to playing male (opposite), since majority of games I play have male main characters. However, in some games where you can opt for a female character, (like Left4Dead or Harvest Moon games or even DotA2, for example) then I choose the female one/s. :D

In visual novels however, I prefer playing as a female pursuing males over anything else, because I'm a female who's attracted to males, haha.

Amberbaum
Regular

#208 Post by Amberbaum »

Ran08 wrote:Generally, I don't really care much about the player character's sex. I've always been into games so I'm used to playing male (opposite), since majority of games I play have male main characters. However, in some games where you can opt for a female character, (like Left4Dead or Harvest Moon games or even DotA2, for example) then I choose the female one/s. :D

In visual novels however, I prefer playing as a female pursuing males over anything else, because I'm a female who's attracted to males, haha.
I can very much relate to this. I still remember the first real female main protagonists that I played where Lara Croft from the Tomb Raider series and the Princess/Queen from King's Quest 7.

JayBlue
Regular

#209 Post by JayBlue »

I'm a guy, and for me, it depends on if I like how the male or female characters look.

If there's customization. (Female)
If there's customization and there happens to be the most amazing male outfit and hairstyle (Male)
If there's no customization and they are very plain looking. (Male)
In the instance that I have choose between a Cool male character and a Hot female character. (Both)
If an Owl hoots in a forest, does it make a sound?

hikarinakano
Regular

#210 Post by hikarinakano »

I generally play as a female character (opposite gender) because:
a) Something feels good about it
b) If it's an MMO, the outfits almost always look better, and
c) Something makes me feel more invested in spending two hours on character creation.