Social Problems in Japan

For the rest of your otaku life.
otomegirl24
Regular
Projects: Kiss & Tell [WIP]

Social Problems in Japan

#1 Post by otomegirl24 »

Okay, so I recently discovered this article on Lunaescene, a popular writing site to post fanfiction or reader insert stories. I thought it was very informative and it shows that there's a lot more to Japan than just Anime, Manga, or its popular Otome/Dating Sim games. Like any other country, Japan has its own fair share of problems, such as an increase of suicides, lower birth rates, female gender roles, etc.

So how do you guys feel about the dark side of Japan that isn't really talked about?

Here's a few links to some of the information I started looking at. There's a lot more information out there than just this, but I felt it was informative and decided to share it with anyone who was interested.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

Re: Social Problems in Japan

#2 Post by LVUER »

Hooo... thanks for the link ^_^ I'm going to watch/read them as soon as I have the time. Every country have their own dark side, no matter how glamorous they are...

I have a video clip about 8 strange things about Japan... but I don't know the links since it's my brother's. I'll post the link here when I know the link.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

LVUER
King of Lolies

#4 Post by LVUER »

Ummm... I don't think that would be classified as social problems...
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#5 Post by MaiMai »

Historical events can have social effects and ramifications-- although that would be more of an international problem rather than an internal domestic problem
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#6 Post by papillon »

So how do you guys feel about the dark side of Japan that isn't really talked about?
I wouldn't really call any of these things stuff that 'isn't talked about' in anime geek circles... in fact, sometimes it's talked about too much. Often I get the weird impression that a lot of Japanophiles actually hate Japan, despite loving very particular aspects of the culture.

It's not really possible or fair to judge an entire country by a small aspect of its culture or history, not even a country as small and relatively homogenous as Japan. I know I get baffled a lot by people making sweeping statements about America that don't even vaguely apply to most of the country - the US is huge and life in a small town in Texas is vastly different to life in NYC.

So I'm not sure what sort of opinion one can have about the 'dark side' of Japan. Everywhere has good and bad aspects, and our understanding of what causes cultural trends and how to change them is still very limited.

GLACIER
Regular

#7 Post by GLACIER »

Yeah, I'd have to say that those topics are extremely commonplace. That article parrots stuff that's widely presented in newspapers (English language versions at that), not to mention games, anime, and manga. Maybe the author's sampling of Japanese-produced entertainment is too limited.

LVUER
King of Lolies

#8 Post by LVUER »

In this thread, we're talking about Japan...

But just want to remind you guys, every and each country HAVE their own dark sides, without fail. US, China, Russia, Indonesia... all country and all of them...

DeviantArt Account

Freelancer
Regular
Completed: Right in Two
Projects: Alex's Problem

#9 Post by Freelancer »

LVUER wrote: But just want to remind you guys, every and each country HAVE their own dark sides, without fail. US, China, Russia, Indonesia... all country and all of them...
I think we all agree on this fact.
papillon wrote:I wouldn't really call any of these things stuff that 'isn't talked about' in anime geek circles... in fact, sometimes it's talked about too much. Often I get the weird impression that a lot of Japanophiles actually hate Japan, despite loving very particular aspects of the culture.
Like papilion says, the dark side of Japan is not "Never" talked about, it's presented in a variety of media, just like how there are a crap load of movies, games, books, and T.V. shows that depict the US crime life, and like those ones, depending on which group your particular MGBT came from it's presented in either heavily exaggerated forms (GTA) or watered down so much that it seems non existent (ala many school slice of life stories)
[WIP] Alex's Problem
It's my first VN so I'm excited. :D
Character, BG, and CG artists are filled
Right in Two has been released. Download it today!

LVUER
King of Lolies

#10 Post by LVUER »

Ooops... I forgot have write it. Sorry ^_^

DeviantArt Account