For the rest of your otaku life.
Counter Arts
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Fading Hearts, Infinite Game Works
Projects: Don't Save the World
Organization: Sakura River

Fate/Stay Night

#1 Post by Counter Arts »

Ah... an anime I love and hate simply because it's based that awesome game.

But what really ticks me off is that people try to look at it as an action/romantic anime as opposed to a thriller(is there a better word?)/survival anime.

What are your thoughts?

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#2 Post by PyTom »

Although I've been watching it, I haven't really been a big fan of Fate/Stay Night. I think that my problem is that the characters seem to be too accepting on the whole "fight to the death" premise. A reaction I'd like to see is:

"You're telling me I have to fight to the death against others like me, while you watch.

You first."

(My second response would be to go to the local gun shop and pick up a high-powered rifle... since it seems unlikely that a magician could block an attack that takes place in under their reaction time. It's Warthogs vs Dragons, all over again.)
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Counter Arts
Miko-Class Veteran

#3 Post by Counter Arts »

Well the main character doesn't exactly want to do that either.

However, considering they almost killing many innocent people just for more power kinda... says something about how serious it is.

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#4 Post by lordcloudx »

since I have no background on the game, based on what I have seen from episodes 1-7, it really does look like an action/romance anime.

but I'm guessing it will lean towards psychological/emotional drama near the end?
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

Counter Arts
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by Counter Arts »

Yeah... I suppose it does look like that.

I guess from the game synopis is that it's really more of a survival thriller. While it's not as obvious as something like resident evil or something... it still is kinda of a thriller.

In the game you're playing as the main character. You are supposed to be some nobody thrown into a deadly game. You can't be relatively powerful compared to the other masters and still have that anxiety that you could possiblily die at any moment. You need to have relatively weaker skills to be really scared.

nyanya

#6 Post by nyanya »

Shouldn't this be in the bishoujo gaming secton?????
Actually, Judging from my experiences with the game....... its more ren ai. In fact Kinoto Nasu (writer for type moon) even admits that when coming up with the story line for f/sn, he was trying to think of an adult concept.
The most survival game themes were probabley in the Heavens feel sceanrio. Most of the endings are happy (certain servants/masters living together forever happily).... The saddest one imo was one of Sakuras ending if ya know what I mean ;_;

What was your favourite sceanrios??

F.I.A
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Winter Shard, EVE, Hyperion

Re: Fate/Stay Night

#7 Post by F.I.A »

Counter Arts wrote: But what really ticks me off is that people try to look at it as an action/romantic anime as opposed to a thriller(is there a better word?)/survival anime.

What are your thoughts?
Well, for one thing, unlike anime such as Jojo's Bizarre Adventure or even Dragon Ball Z, Fate/Stay Night got romance peppered on it. And judging from its origin, it is hard to say that it is a thriller, which mostly belongs to Shounen stories.
PyTom wrote:Warthogs vs Dragons, all over again.)
Now that is a rather interesting discussion going on. It makes me wonder how come Godzilla and co are deemed unstopable. :lol:

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran

#8 Post by lordcloudx »

Ok, it's up to episode 20 right now.

And somehow I find this anime very similar to CLAMP's X/1999. The dark setting, the battles, the dorama etc.
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran

#9 Post by lordcloudx »

Sorry for the double post.

Anyway, the series has finally ended last friday. I liked it, but it's a shame that they didn't focus too deeply on any subject. Not that much in the way of romance, angst etc. But I guess "play the game coz the game is sooo much better." is what most people will say.

DrakeNavarone
Veteran
Completed: see sig below
Projects: always; never not
Organization: Team BG

#10 Post by DrakeNavarone »

Luckily for us english-speakers that Mirror Moon's finished up it's translation for the Fate scenario... Once the patch is released, we actually will be able to play the game (now if they'd only start the Tsukihime beta...)

I guess I liked this show, there were some good parts and some bad. Episode 14 is still the best. I'm glad they sticked to the Fate route for the end of the series, but I'm a little disappointed that they didn't incorporate more of UBW and Heaven's Feel into the story. Some people might think I'm stupid or something, but I actually liked Shirou, so it's a shame they didn't delve more into UBW territory... oh well, as long as Mirror Moon keeps the translations coming, I'll be happy...
http://www.twitter.com/drakeynv
The Compendium of Drake:
Starlit Sky ~ Songs of Araiah ~ Mirai Imouto ~ Temple Glen ~ Fuyu no Tabi

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran

#11 Post by lordcloudx »

Archer's last stand eh?

I'd ask the same question as Ilya. Who is (or was) archer anyway? He had the coolest moves (and looks) out of all the servants but they never got around to explaining anything substantial about him (and that engrish voice-acting hehe). Not even any time for character development.

I'm also one of many awaiting fate/stay night's fate route patch.

Shirou's character is kinda strange. He doesn't really fall into any stereotypes I've seen (too strong-willed to be a wimp and he's got a really fit body structure for some reason). He's like a combination of many different anime stereotypes.

Taavimon
Regular

#12 Post by Taavimon »

lordcloudx wrote:Who is (or was) archer anyway?
Archer is future Shirou. There are some hints in the anime (especially in episode 14). I managed to piece those together and then checked if I was right and I was. The system of calling forth heroic souls is not bound by time, so it can call a soul from the future.

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran

#13 Post by lordcloudx »

Thanks Taavimon. Y'know this anime had the potential to be one of the best if they'd just explained those significant plotholes. Maybe extended the series to 26 or even 50 episodes.

I guess Shirou really became the "hero of justice."

DrakeNavarone
Veteran
Completed: see sig below
Projects: always; never not
Organization: Team BG

#14 Post by DrakeNavarone »

Well, I'm not sure about a "hero of justice"... That's the major conflict in UBW, Archer no longer believes in Shirou's ideals anymore, basically fed up with them. So of course, it's gonna be cool when they duel it out. I'm glad we'll get to play the Fate route soon (once again, thank you Mirror Moon), but I'm looking forward to UBW the most.
http://www.twitter.com/drakeynv
The Compendium of Drake:
Starlit Sky ~ Songs of Araiah ~ Mirai Imouto ~ Temple Glen ~ Fuyu no Tabi

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#15 Post by monele »

I've heard about this game a *lot*... Yet I'm not sure I understand its appeal (since it've not so often seen it discussed). I understand there are multiple paths but it seems most of them are radically different from each other. I remember someone saying "in some paths you don't even meet some of the cast".

Would anyone care to enlighten me? ^^