Awesome game deals?

For the rest of your otaku life.
Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

Awesome game deals?

#1 Post by Blue Lemma »

I was at GameStop the other day and was amazed at how cheap some titles have gotten! They're underappreciated which is sad :(

Anyone care to share any spectacular game deals they've seen?

What made me think about this in particular was seeing Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume (DS) new for $9.99. Crazy. I enjoyed that game a lot (and for a lot more :-x )
Super Robot Taisen OG for DS at $19.99 new, comes with music CD/$17.99 used (I think) is quite a good deal as well. Loaded with boob jokes and juvenile humor :P
I recently picked up Luminous Arc for $9.99 used as well.

On the other end, you have games that are overpriced. New Super Mario Brothers for $29.99-$34.99 at stores STILL?! That thing's been out forever! Same with Dragon Quest V for DS and Miles Edgeworth Investigations. It's like someone nailed the prices to a wall and they won't budge :(
“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.”
- Napoleon Bonaparte

I've retired from forum administration. I do not add people to the "adult" group, deactivate accounts, nor any other administrative task. Please direct admin/mod issues to PyTom or the other mods : )

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

Re: Awesome game deals?

#2 Post by LVUER »

If you don't mind to wait, you DO can get a bargain price. Like don't buy games at its launch date, wait for a while. Or some games could even end up in bargain bin (and I always love to search for games in bargain bin since I tend to miss buying some games).

Or you could always buy second-hand games.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

cloudyssky
Veteran
Completed: Alone
Projects: Many failed ones

#3 Post by cloudyssky »

Amazon for EVERYTHING. I sold a bunch of my games quite the while ago, and now I'm trying to buy them back. I'm finding PS2 games and old DS games from $4 to $15. Like the other day I found almost every Ace Combat game for the PS2 for less than $7, or Gran Turismo 4 for about $15.
Projects:
Alone- (Horror/Sci-Fi) Complete! Link
Demokratiya- (Adventure/Action) I'm kind of winging it with this one. Goal is 100,000 words. Yeah, it's gonna take a while.
{Last worked on Sept/28 : Word count (coding and all) ~4500}

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#4 Post by papillon »

Of course, sometimes you wait and the game sells out and all copies now cost a fortune. Ask anyone who's trying to buy a legit copy of Ever 17 these days.

(I should sell one. Sometime.)

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#5 Post by LVUER »

Ugh, yeah, sometimes that kind of thing happened. From my experience, you'd better buy Atlus game (especially Megami Tensei series) since it seems they didn't make too much copies and they sells like hotcake (achieving the cult status).

Until now, I still can't get Fatal Frame 1 and Gun Slinger Girl vol.2 on my hand.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Wolfzau
Projects: Unnamed Commercial Project

#6 Post by Wolfzau »

LVUER wrote:Ugh, yeah, sometimes that kind of thing happened. From my experience, you'd better buy Atlus game (especially Megami Tensei series) since it seems they didn't make too much copies and they sells like hotcake (achieving the cult status).
You read my mind, trying to find a copy of Nocturne in Britain for less than 60 bucks (used) is like trying to find the lost city of Atlantis

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#7 Post by gekiganwing »

Back when Working Designs still existed, the company's games had limited print runs and elaborate packaging. Once WD's products went out of print, they tended to increase in price. (A few of the company's PS1 games have been released on the Playstation Network.)

I'm kind of glad that digital distribution now exists. It's a lot easier to pay a few dollars for a legit download, rather than track down a rare physical copy of a game. Of course, I also like cartridges and discs, and I can certainly argue for their merits.
Blue Lemma wrote:New Super Mario Brothers for $29.99-$34.99 at stores STILL?! That thing's been out forever! Same with Dragon Quest V for DS...
First party Nintendo games don't tend to decrease in price. And if they're quality products, then fans tend to keep them. While I don't have documentation to back this up, I've heard that the company manages to sell its first party games month after month, often year after year. In the last few years, Nintendo has tended to sell its games to non-core gamers, even after serious business video game fanboys like me regard their games as yesterday's news.

Square Enix games on DS and PSP tended to cost a few dollars more than other companies' games. And while the company's console games tend to slowly decrease in price, its portable games may not necessarily go down. I'm thinking this is related to how many copies get sent to retailers, and how many copies the company expects to sell.

According to a recent episode of 1up's Games Dammit podcast, the English version of DQ5 DS only had a modest print run. So if you want a copy of this game in decent condition, then you may want to buy it soon. It's the only official translation of DQ5 (fans translated the original Super Famicom game, and also its PS2 remake).

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#8 Post by Blue Lemma »

Yeah, I still have the Lunar 1 and 2 PS games and boxes and omake stuff :) Thanks for the DQ5 tip, too, gekiganwing.

I learned today that GS is selling Riviera for PSP for $7.99 o_o I loved that game! :D

(and yes, I realized my thread was in the wrong forum and moved it... *posting fail* :oops: )
“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.”
- Napoleon Bonaparte

I've retired from forum administration. I do not add people to the "adult" group, deactivate accounts, nor any other administrative task. Please direct admin/mod issues to PyTom or the other mods : )