The Riddlemaster [Puzzles][Action][Fantasy]

Because less is more: Noncommercial games of < 1 hour playtime and < 2 month development time.
meowworkstm
Regular
Projects: The Riddlemaster, A Cottage Story
Tumblr: ladymeowsith
Deviantart: Meowworkstm

The Riddlemaster [Puzzles][Action][Fantasy]

#1 Post by meowworkstm »

The Riddlemaster

“Thousands of years ago there was a labyrinth located in the heart of Sol Naquer where many adventurers would test their wits and endurance. To master the labyrinth, it was absolutely necessary to be both brave and wise since puzzles and traps lay at every corner, and when night fell a horrid beast would ravage the maze."

"Though countless people braved the Labyrinth, in the end it was only Mekara who managed to escape the labyrinth and lived to tell the tale. This fable is about Mekara and the Labyrinth, although truly, it was more like Mekara and the Riddlemaster…”

Play as the legendary adventurer, Mekara, as he ventures into an ancient and deadly Labyrinth. To survive you must answer riddles told by the elusive Riddlemaster and adapt to dangerous and high-stakes situations.

Although the ending is already set in stone, you decide what truths were learned in the course of the fable.

Features
  • Decide how the storyteller's fable ends and what moral it tells!
  • Riddles! So...many….riddles…
    • The answers are by player input
      • You get 3 tries and one hint per riddle
  • 10,000+ words (1-2 hours of gameplay)
  • Mystery, Thriller, Action, Adventure
    • And comedy but that was unintentional
    • Romance if you squint???
    Side Notes
    Hi! Oh my god, I haven't posted progress on any of my projects in a while, especially Hollowed which I've currently put on hold. Before I dive back into Hollowed I wanted to finish something just so I can say I did lol so I created this short visual novel and my goal is to finish it before February.

I'm currently at 9,000 words so I'm really close to my goal but I'm really only halfway through the story so who knows what the end count will be. :/
    I'm going to try to keep this thread updated and also try not to give in to burnout, but anyway that's about it. Thanks for reading so far, and let me know if the premise sounds lame or cool haha
Last edited by meowworkstm on Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

meowworkstm
Regular

Re: The Riddlemaster [Puzzles][Action][Fantasy]

#2 Post by meowworkstm »

I'm just going to throw these here lol idk I'll probably delete this when the backgrounds are actually finished
The forest background is where the story teller is telling the story before it goes into the actual maze
forest.png
maze bg 1.png

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#3 Post by Zelan »

Oh wow, I'm really vibing with this whole idea!! I adore seeing visual novels that play with the concept of multiple endings - I think having a set ending, but different ways to reach that ending, is something that I haven't seen often. Player input is also a really cool way to add player interaction. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this one,

Keep up the hard work! ^_^

meowworkstm
Regular

#4 Post by meowworkstm »

Hi, it's been like ten years but after my first year at college ended I'm trying my hand at this again. Here are some completed backgrounds! I have 4/15 done but 14 of them are just maze variants so they don't take me long. Script is a little over halfway at about 10,500 words woo
forest resize lemma.png
bg_maze resize for lemma.png

meowworkstm
Regular

#5 Post by meowworkstm »

Zelan wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:37 pm Oh wow, I'm really vibing with this whole idea!! I adore seeing visual novels that play with the concept of multiple endings - I think having a set ending, but different ways to reach that ending, is something that I haven't seen often. Player input is also a really cool way to add player interaction. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this one,

Keep up the hard work! ^_^
THis reply is literally 4 months late but I appreciate the support a lot and I'm glad you like the idea!! Thanks so much!!

makarune
Deviantart: PandaPastels
itch: PandaPastels

#6 Post by makarune »

Those backgrounds are gorgeous!
I also love the idea of having riddles, so I'm looking forward to more progress on this :)

meowworkstm
Regular

#7 Post by meowworkstm »

makarune wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 5:37 pm Those backgrounds are gorgeous!
I also love the idea of having riddles, so I'm looking forward to more progress on this :)
Thank you!! I'm glad that you like riddles, I was afraid people would find that aspect boring. :lol:

makarune
Deviantart: PandaPastels
itch: PandaPastels

#8 Post by makarune »

Oh, I'm definitely here for the riddles. c':
Are you making your own riddles or using preexisting ones?

meowworkstm
Regular

#9 Post by meowworkstm »

makarune wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 10:49 pm Oh, I'm definitely here for the riddles. c':
Are you making your own riddles or using preexisting ones?
A little bit of both~ Riddles are a little hard to think of so if I run out of ideas I might just reword some existing ones! :^)

meowworkstm
Regular

#10 Post by meowworkstm »

Lot of progress today and yesterday~ I finished all the 15 backgrounds with the exception of special maze variants for scenes that only happen once and I sketched out the rest of my sprites and threw them all into the game. Umm, after I finish the sketchy sprites I'm gonna try to work on cg's and coding next. c:
screenshot 2.png
screenshot.png

meowworkstm
Regular

#11 Post by meowworkstm »

I took a break from the Riddlemaster to write my other visual novel, Hollowed, but I got super stumped and I decided it would really boost my confidence to a least finish one story first and get some feedback from others, so I'm back on the grind again.

All the art assets (backgrounds & sprites) are now complete!! Except for the CGs but I keep changing my mind on what events I want CG's of so we shall see... Also I changed the ending so now I'm rewriting a bits and pieces and my script is only at 12,000 words total. :^(

The good part is I might be able to have a working demo up for the first 5,000 words so I might upload that just to see if it works!
hoohoo the riddlemaster.png