Tenkeiteki Tokyo [parody]

Because less is more: Noncommercial games of < 1 hour playtime and < 2 month development time.
sasquatchii
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: A Day in the Life of a Slice of Bread
Deviantart: sasquatchix
Soundcloud: sasquatchii
itch: sasquatchii

Re: Tenkeiteki Tokyo [parody]

#16 Post by sasquatchii »

Fuseblower wrote:Just a quick note. I'm still fiddling with Oresama's cloak of invisibility. The real active thermal optic camouflage is green (yes, it does exist) so I guess Oresama's should be too.

It's a bit tricky to show the cloak's invisibility but at the same time show its silhouet. How does one show the invisible? Hm, I need to ponder this :wink:
Wow, all the art you've posted looks SO COOL!! I seriously cannot wait until this is finished. And you're only giving yourself 2 months?! How come?

I think you've done a very good job so far with the invisibility cloak. Having to draw something like that would drive me crazy, but I think what you've done looks very nice :)
ImageImage

Fuseblower
Regular
Projects: Mall Macabre, Slushball Slasher, Doomed Diner, Tenkeiteki Tokyo
itch: fuseblower

#17 Post by Fuseblower »

Thank you, I'm glad you like it so far.

I want to finish it in 2 months because my attention span is only 3 months when it comes to making games. If I don't finish it in 3 months, it won't be finished at all :lol:

In other news : the Dojikko sprites are now finished (there are 8 of them in total, just like with Oresama).

Next up : Otenba Banchou!

Fuseblower
Regular

#18 Post by Fuseblower »

And Otenba is finished. She only got 6 sprites but one of them has the Billy Idol power stance. That should carry the entire VN :wink:

Up next Youjyo and Kitsune. Their sets were already drawn so it shouldn't take too long.

(looks at calender)

Hm, about 3 weeks left...

Elizabeth

#19 Post by Elizabeth »

Wow !!!
It's rare to see a visual novel (or even a game ?) with fully hand-drawn graphics, which is a shame, 'cause this looks really really nice...
I think it allows the backgrounds and the sprites to blend together perfectly.
I would be curious to know which takes the more time to finish, hand-colored graphics, or CGs ?
I guess it depends on what you're most comfortable to work with...

Otherwise, did you use on your vending machine the orthograph 害人 and not 外人 on purpose ?
"Gaijin" is already considered to be a not-so-OK word, but with the kanji 害 it becomes totally derogatory (害=evil, harm, damage, 外=outside exterior).
It's a sort of old pun...

Fuseblower
Regular

#20 Post by Fuseblower »

Thank you Elizabeth.

Yes, the extra derogatory term was chosen on purpose. I saw some youtube clip in which Japanese people were asked whether "Gaijin" was insulting or not. A lot of them didn't think so.

So, I went with the really insulting one and added a long nosed head as well to top it off :wink:

In other news : the Youjyo Haraguro sprites have been finished. In total there are 10 of them (can't show all, some are spoilers). So far 32 sprites down, 40 left to do.

Next up : Kitsune Yaoi.

Elizabeth

#21 Post by Elizabeth »

Fuseblower wrote:
Yes, the extra derogatory term was chosen on purpose. I saw some youtube clip in which Japanese people were asked whether "Gaijin" was insulting or not. A lot of them didn't think so.

So, I went with the really insulting one and added a long nosed head as well to top it off :wink:
Okay, I was a bit worried ! :o

Fuseblower
Regular

#22 Post by Fuseblower »

And another set of sprites finished : Kitsune Yaoi, the naughty magical fox who lives at the haunted cemetery.

Next up, Jukujo Chikarao with her big gun.

Fuseblower
Regular

#23 Post by Fuseblower »

Just a quick note. I haven't abandoned Tenkeiteki Tokyo. I got the flu.

But I feel my youthful constitution (that has been grinded down by decades of worries and hardships) returning to me now so I'll be updating within days 8)

JhazyJazz
Regular
Completed: Best Friends
Organization: Pastelle Studios

#24 Post by JhazyJazz »

It seems like a cool game!

Looking forward to it. ^^
I support:
Completed Games:

Fuseblower
Regular

#25 Post by Fuseblower »

Thank you JhazyJazz. I hope it's gonna be cool too.

Having said that, I think it's better that I concentrate on the prep for NanoReno right now so that at least I can finish that one in time. Even without the flu I doubt I could have finished this before March. I guess I underestimated the amount of work that goes into a VN (or overestimated the speed I could do it in :wink: )

Perhaps it's also better this goes into the "Work in Progress" thread.

Fuseblower
Regular

#26 Post by Fuseblower »

So, after some time I've resumed work on Tenkeiteki Tokyo. I'm doing the backgrounds now and they show some of the more recognizable parts of Tokyo like the "Ameyoko", Tokyo's famous market under the railroad :

Of course, the Imperial Palace and Ueno Park shouldn't be left out either :

About half of all the backgrounds are finished now (not all are shown in this thread, of course). I guess it'll take another 3 weeks to finish the rest of them and then the rest of the sprites need to be done and some extra pics (cutscenes).

Hm, short noncommercial games : under an hour playtime and 2 months dev time.

I wonder if I should read that "and" as an "or" :lol:

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#27 Post by Zelan »

Oooh, I'm glad to see that you've picked this back up! ^_^

That Pikachu in the first background looks like it's ready to pounce on some poor unsuspecting passerby. cx

Fuseblower
Regular

#28 Post by Fuseblower »

Thank you Zelan. Yeah, those pokemons are running rampant in the world nowadays :lol:

Anyway, I'm changing the premise of the story. I've found it quite hard to connect the different parts of the story I already have.

The solution was simple : Donkan doesn't want to change his hikikomori ways at all. He's perfectly happy to spend the rest of his reclusive life in his room surrounded by his videogames, anime, manga and above all : his virtual girl friend Vanessa, a LoveMinus character from the Tsunami software corporation ("LoveMinus" being an obvious play on "LovePlus" and "Tsunami" being a play on "Konami").

However, Donkan has to leave his room to marry Vanessa in a special ceremony that has been organized by the Tsunami corporation. He leaves in the evening to avoid social contact. Of course, he runs into all kinds of trouble and finds that trying to shun the outside world is hard work ("reality is a crappy videogame").

The whole resulting chain of events should run like an "out of the frying pan, into the fire" thing.

QFuss
Projects: Tenkeiteki Tokyo, The Doomed Diner, Cat n Cavy

#29 Post by QFuss »

Hi All,

Another peace of music as a concept for Tenkeiteki Tokyo.

- https://soundcloud.com/qfuss/donkans-quest-v01-concept

Gr.:

QFuss

Fuseblower
Regular

#30 Post by Fuseblower »

Raised and restored! Abe Shinzo got his wish. It's all happening in Typically Tokyo :lol:

One of the things I'm worrying about (apart from Turret A and Turret B not lining up, that's what you get when you freehand perspective) is that a lot of the jokes I put into Tenkeiteki Tokyo only work when the player actually knows stuff about Japan and the Japanese language. As I've stated earlier, this games is heavily inspired by Kusoge and the reaction of anime man on that game. So, I thought : I gotta put lots of references in the game and have some fun with that. But I'm beginning to think that the audience (if any) will be Western and might not get a lot of the references.