Many A Weary Foot [ Friendship | Welsh Fantasy ]

Because less is more: Noncommercial games of < 1 hour playtime and < 2 month development time.
Ghost of Crux
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: To Weave A Thread
Organization: UNICORSITY
Tumblr: unicorsity
itch: namio

Many A Weary Foot [ Friendship | Welsh Fantasy ]

#1 Post by Ghost of Crux »

Many A Weary Foot
“Isobel,” her mother once said as she sheathed her dagger on the doorway, “should we not come back home by the changing of the moon, go to Llyn Llumonwy and do not look back.”
“Okay, Mam.”
“They will take you in and they will be your new home.”
“…Okay, Mam.”
"...They will be your family."
"Okay, Mam."

Isobel is a dryw who is leaving her home and heading towards Yr Alban.
Her family is a family of drywon dedicated to keeping the peace between the various, otherworldly creatures that roamed Albion and the oblivious humans. Such a job is not easy, as some creatures are deadlier and others, and they proved their dangerous nature when the last of her family-- her parents-- didn't come back, presumably dead.

And so she sets to Llyn Llumonwy. But like all journeys, it's not as simple as the objective. Along the way, she meets Nathaniel, a young man who escaped a life of hellish labour. All journeys aren't as simple as it seemed. How will Isobel fare in the wilderness, with her lineage being a beacon to the otherworldly creature, all the while caring for a stranger who says little of himself?

Isobel, as an independent dryw, knows how to be resourceful and creative. She sets off on her journey well-prepared, but how would she deal with what life throws at her?
Nathaniel
Nathaniel volunteers little of himself, but he is not unkind. Knowing that he owes Isobel something for helping him and keeping him around, he sets to make sure that she safely arrives at her destination, 300 miles away.

AKA an attempt by me to make my first project as short, simple and sweet as possible.

Many A Weary Foot is a project based on a short story I am currently writing for a contest. It's not long, and only has 1 ending, but there are several ways the events in between could transpire. Do you use up your supplies with abandon, or do you save them for when it truly matters? How would you approach a problem when it stares at you in the eyes? How does a friendship develop in the thick of nowhere?

How will Isobel accept the repressed bitterness she has for her life?

Currently:

Story: 100%
Script: 15%
Art: 5%
GUI: 20%

Word Count: 2,827

Current art shown in this thread is placeholder concept sketch.
Production time needs to be kept below two months, somehow, someway.
Last edited by Ghost of Crux on Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Image Image

misspells everything as unicorn. Call me Namio. They/them. | Honest Critique

Become a patron on my Patreon!

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

Re: Many A Weary Foot [ Friendship | Welsh Fantasy ]

#2 Post by fleet »

Thanks for posting. Is this based on a Welsh fable?
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

Ghost of Crux
Miko-Class Veteran

#3 Post by Ghost of Crux »

fleet wrote:Thanks for posting. Is this based on a Welsh fable?
It's not based on a Welsh fable, but it's set in some ambiguous mountain forest on the North side of Wales and has mythical creatures from there (eg. the Ceffyl Dwr is the one based on the North, not the South) and things like that. Technically the entire thing isn't purely Welsh fantasy (it's more like "all mythical creatures are true" fantasy) so yeah.
Image Image

Ghost of Crux
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by Ghost of Crux »

Might not warrant the new post, but I'm just so happy with this start screen:

I'm still on the process of trying to convert the writing style from a more traditional approach to a more appropriate one. Kind of sad, because I really like the language style of the original, but hey, it's not meant to be a word-for-word copy paste.
Image Image

FonaCall
Regular
Projects: Bahay Kubo, Tower of Saviors Cries of Soul
Organization: Black Eared Games
Tumblr: blackearedgames
Deviantart: fonacall
Soundcloud: fona-call

#5 Post by FonaCall »

You have SO. MUCH. REASON. to be happy with that start screen. IT. IS. BEAUTIFUL.

I'm not really familiar with Welsh lore, so if you get to finish this, and I get to play this... Thank you for introducing me to it.
SO MANY GAMES, SO LITTLE TIME!!!

For those who are freelance VN staff and also for those who are VN team leaders, please read this. Inform yourselves. Thank you.

Status: More or less busy with IRL work and finishing a game in time for Halloween Jam in itch.io

Brainstorming for the following:
My Seven Deadly Friends | the rest of the ideas

Ghost of Crux
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by Ghost of Crux »

FonaCall wrote:You have SO. MUCH. REASON. to be happy with that start screen. IT. IS. BEAUTIFUL.

I'm not really familiar with Welsh lore, so if you get to finish this, and I get to play this... Thank you for introducing me to it.
Thank you! :'D
Your message brought some giddy feelings to my cold dead heart, so thank you very much. I hope it'll be a good introduction!

The story will have mostly the more common Welsh creatures (deadly flying horses, spoopy scary ghosts, Deadly Things From The Water) but I might sneak in the Red Dragon itself ;')
In any case, I'll try to pepper in as much myths as I can find. I hope the end product would be as good as the start screen, haha

u v u
Image Image

Laniessa
Veteran
Completed: CDC, Cerulean, WBW, Helena's Flowers
Projects: Chomp Chomp, WaV
Tumblr: adirosa
Deviantart: adirosa

#7 Post by Laniessa »

Lovely art style and gorgeous title screen, I'm looking forward to how this turns out! The friendship tag always draws me in, ahah.

Ghost of Crux
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by Ghost of Crux »

Laniessa wrote:Lovely art style and gorgeous title screen, I'm looking forward to how this turns out! The friendship tag always draws me in, ahah.
Thank you!

FRIENDSHIP IS GREAT. I mean I'm the shipper next door whose tendencies can be a bit worrying but a good friendship is always the type to win me over. If the friendship in some story is lacking, it's always a turn off.
SO I agree with you.
Image Image

Ghost of Crux
Miko-Class Veteran

#9 Post by Ghost of Crux »

Been working on backgrounds lately. Who knew I can be productive?

The house one is a placeholder and I've been talking about changing it because 1) it looks seriously flat and 2) apparently UK uses a more blocky kind of stone so consider this a placeholder for a mini-demo I'm planning to release soon. The forest one is flat-out a WIP.

The mini-demo will mostly be there for some feedback on the writing, since this VN is quite text-heavy. I basically am turning a short story, written in a "flowery" way, so to say, into a script, so it's bound to run long.

Anyway, on to pictures.
ImageImage
Image Image

Writer16
Regular
Projects: Shades (GXB/Romance/Short/Silly/Freeware)
Tumblr: my-allisondiamond-world
Deviantart: allisondiamond1

#10 Post by Writer16 »

So, I had to check out your VN.

I'm glad I did. This is a lovely idea to branch off from. I love all type of folktales -- I think I might have read some Welsh folktales -- but I don't always check where the origin of whatever tale I'm reading is from. I like what I've seen so far. Everything is lovely. That MM is simple yet wonderful. The art is lovely. Your writing, now that, is the thing that buys me off right away. I love a good story with good writing.

I'll be checking for updates! :D

-- Allison Diamond.
"You can fix anything but a blank page." -- Nora Roberts.

"An intelligent person can rationalize anything, a wise person doesn't try." -- Jen Knox.

"Don't worry when you are not recognized, but strive to be worthy of recognition." -- Abraham Lincoln.

Ghost of Crux
Miko-Class Veteran

#11 Post by Ghost of Crux »

Writer16 wrote:So, I had to check out your VN.

I'm glad I did. This is a lovely idea to branch off from. I love all type of folktales -- I think I might have read some Welsh folktales -- but I don't always check where the origin of whatever tale I'm reading is from. I like what I've seen so far. Everything is lovely. That MM is simple yet wonderful. The art is lovely. Your writing, now that, is the thing that buys me off right away. I love a good story with good writing.

I'll be checking for updates! :D

-- Allison Diamond.
Thank you so much! You have no idea how happy this post made me-- This VN is from a short story that is simply my baby as of right now, and I'm glad the writing pleases you. The writing is the core of this VN, and it's a bit long, but I'm glad you liked what you've seen so far. I hope the rest would flow as fine, since it's faar easier to weave poetics when you're not being attacked by evil water horses xD

Thank you!
Image Image

Writer16
Regular
Projects: Shades (GXB/Romance/Short/Silly/Freeware)
Tumblr: my-allisondiamond-world
Deviantart: allisondiamond1

#12 Post by Writer16 »

Ghost of Crux wrote: Thank you so much! You have no idea how happy this post made me-- This VN is from a short story that is simply my baby as of right now, and I'm glad the writing pleases you. The writing is the core of this VN, and it's a bit long, but I'm glad you liked what you've seen so far. I hope the rest would flow as fine, since it's faar easier to weave poetics when you're not being attacked by evil water horses xD

Thank you!
I've played -- both free and purchase VNs -- that used more of a story format than a script format. It works if used a certain way, I guess. And from what I've seen, this looks wonderful, and is just a neat idea. So, I'm drawn to it. Plus, I tend to like games that has more of story format than a script format. Depends on the game and how it's written. :)
"You can fix anything but a blank page." -- Nora Roberts.

"An intelligent person can rationalize anything, a wise person doesn't try." -- Jen Knox.

"Don't worry when you are not recognized, but strive to be worthy of recognition." -- Abraham Lincoln.

Ghost of Crux
Miko-Class Veteran

#13 Post by Ghost of Crux »

Writer16 wrote:I've played -- both free and purchase VNs -- that used more of a story format than a script format. It works if used a certain way, I guess. And from what I've seen, this looks wonderful, and is just a neat idea. So, I'm drawn to it. Plus, I tend to like games that has more of story format than a script format. Depends on the game and how it's written. :)
I admit, I haven't played VNs in years. I'm just writing one the way I'd imagine one would be written, when I started. And story formats-- and stories in general-- are great SO that is understandable xD
Reading is fun, and VNs have the potential to be a great medium for literature.

ON A... UH, HAPPIER NOTE
The short story that this VN is based on actually got me to the finals of Asian English Olympics, Short Story Writing category. It's honestly a huge surprise-- 8 people out of 50 wasn't that huge of a deal, I admit, but this was my first writing competition ever.
Image Image

Ghost of Crux
Miko-Class Veteran

#14 Post by Ghost of Crux »

Update | 23.02.2016

> Life and other VNs kinda took the steering wheel but I got to write an extra 2k words on the script. I'm still slowly doing the arts-- I just realised just how much I'll have to draw and am kinda erring but, well.
> I added the system that randomizes the chance that Nathaniel gets sick or not after you meet him. The entire VN will take place in 3 days, and each day have 2-3 different possible scenarios, sans the third.
> Many A Weary Foot will also be pushed aside for a while for NaNoRenO.
Image Image

Miyuu
Regular
Completed: Iris Dream

#15 Post by Miyuu »

I've always liked reading myths and folklores, but I've never read Welsh folklore before. I'll be looking out for this one, since I'm also curious about new folklores and all. Also, the name of the place hooked me; it is a pretty fantasy-sounding place. :D

Also, the menu is colourful, and I gotta say that your art is pretty. :) Your art matches well with fantasy/myth VNs to me.

You know, your writing style kinda reminds me of an old, favourite book that I once read; The Redemption of Althalus. It was a very interesting fantasy book, I enjoyed reading it.

I'll be on the lookout for this one, so good luck. :)