Learning Japanese

Because less is more: Noncommercial games of < 1 hour playtime and < 2 month development time.
Sumire76Joker
Deviantart: Sumire56

Learning Japanese

#1 Post by Sumire76Joker »

Hello! This is my first VN game, though its less of visual novel and more of a visual classroom? I'm not that great at writing, so I decided to make my first VN off of something I knew how to do: speaking Japanese. The attached file is the (demo?) version; it only has one out of six lessons completed. Everything else is mostly done though. I could probably use more sprites for the teachers, so I may add that in the future. All of the artwork, programming, and writing was done by me. There isn't any music yet, and I don't know if I will add any since it's less of a game and more a learning sim. Feedback is appreciated!
And another.
And another.
The main menu screen.
Here's a screenshot of the game.
Here's a screenshot of the game.
A sample of what most of the game looks like.
Learning_Japanese-1.0-all.zip
Pretty sure this is how you add a demo version for people to download...
(56.46 MiB) Downloaded 85 times
The game file ~

Ran08
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: https://ran.itch.io/
Projects: Fate's Cafe
Tumblr: otometwist
itch: ran

Re: Learning Japanese

#2 Post by Ran08 »

Just finished playing through the game!

First of all, I'd like to say... けいこせんせいとじっこうせんせいはとても可愛いですね!:") I like your art style! :)

Ahem. Anyway... to be honest, I personally would've liked it better if there was some sort of plot or something, because it was... quite dry. T___T It was like I was being bombarded by information throughout the game. Huhuhu. Alhough I understand that you did give some sort of a disclaimer, by saying that it's more of a virtual classroom than a visual novel. :( I found that to be quite exact. It does feel more like a virtual classroom than anything. Hahaha.

That said, I think it's a really good concept! I already know most of the things here since I had Japanese electives before, hahaha, so I just kinda speed-read through the whole thing, but I enjoyed the mini-quizzes at the end of the lessons. That part was pretty enjoyable! Oh, and I was actually surprised when I browsed through the notes section and saw that you had included kanji. Woah. Hahaha. Thank you for adding them in! :)

But... yeah, speaking from the perspective of someone who already knows some of these stuff, the actual learning felt kinda dry. But I think, if I were in the shoes of someone who knows zero to none... I think I would be pretty overwhelmed. Either way, that aspect needs improving, I think. Personally, I believe that if we don't enjoy what we're doing, we can't learn much at all. So... yeah. Hahaha.

Anyway, thank you for creating this game! I am definitely looking forward to the next update. I hope to see more lessons for next time. :D Keep it up, okaaay? Haha. 頑張ってください!

Sumire76Joker
Deviantart: Sumire56

Re: Learning Japanese

#3 Post by Sumire76Joker »

Thanks for the feedback! I'll keep those things in mind, I was trying to make it a bit more simple for people coming in with nothing, but since I already know it (and have no actual teaching skills) I had trouble with that, so I could see why it would end up being a mish-mash of difficulty. The kanji comes in around lesson five, and I debated whether or not to put it in, so it's good to know that someone likes it! I'll see what I can do about making the script/lessons more interesting and less dry!