I Suddenly Became A Magical Girl... [Yuri Jam 2016]

Because less is more: Noncommercial games of < 1 hour playtime and < 2 month development time.
madocallie
Regular
Completed: Bad Faith (DEMO), When We First Met, Party Favors
Projects: Bad Faith (Full Release)
itch: madocallie
Discord: madocallie#2937

I Suddenly Became A Magical Girl... [Yuri Jam 2016]

#1 Post by madocallie »

About

I Suddenly Became A Magical Girl To Fight Aliens From Another Dimension?!, or I Suddenly Became A Magical Girl is a visual novel made for Yuri Jam 2016.

Follow Kagami, a high school student who gets her wish to become a magical girl granted! A life full of sparkly attacks and swishing silk ribbons awaits her...

...as well preventing an entire civilization of bug-like aliens from destroying Earth.

But hey, that's just part of the job!

Features
Magical Girls!
Unenthusiastic Mascots!
Aliens!
And, romance...?

Content Warning
Some shaky screens
Implied death
City destruction
Loud noises

Additional Information
Given that this is the DEMO version of the game, only one route is currently pursuable.
More routes will be available in the future!

Credits
GUI, Writing, Coding, Artwork - madocallie
Music - Ramine, J-Rokudo
Backgrounds - Mugenjohncel, NEO-HIMEISM
Editing - cosmiccu

dorne
Regular

Re: I Suddenly Became A Magical Girl... [Yuri Jam 2016]

#2 Post by dorne »

I just got through the demo. So far I'm liking the concept!

Some things to praise:

It looks like you're versed in the mahou shoujo category, especially the serious kind, so I'll expect some delicious drama and thrills.

Your menus are very polished and give a good vibe.

Each character has their own sound text which adds to their personality, good touch.

Some things to point out:

Please check your sound levels (kagami's sound text is very loud, I had to turn down the sound to half just for her.)
I feel that you can make more transitions between Kagami in story, and Kagami talking with you. I love interacting with Kagami, but that level of interaction I didn't feel towards the end when it became more story focused.

Hopefully you're able to add some animations, like with a transformation sequence, or adding a little more animation on the alien assault, that would add alot more to the VN.
You might want to add some more music pieces in the current section, or add a little variance to prevent too repetitious soundtrack.

Overall I enjoyed it! I'm definitely following this project for sure.
A Tale of a Meeting. A short sci-fi VN featuring space opera in one part of the universe.

Dorne's Lets Read Visual Novels
https://www.youtube.com/user/dornevn/videos

madocallie
Regular
Completed: Bad Faith (DEMO), When We First Met, Party Favors
Projects: Bad Faith (Full Release)
itch: madocallie
Discord: madocallie#2937

Re: I Suddenly Became A Magical Girl... [Yuri Jam 2016]

#3 Post by madocallie »

dorne wrote:I just got through the demo. So far I'm liking the concept!

Some things to praise:

It looks like you're versed in the mahou shoujo category, especially the serious kind, so I'll expect some delicious drama and thrills.

Your menus are very polished and give a good vibe.

Each character has their own sound text which adds to their personality, good touch.

Some things to point out:

Please check your sound levels (kagami's sound text is very loud, I had to turn down the sound to half just for her.)
I feel that you can make more transitions between Kagami in story, and Kagami talking with you. I love interacting with Kagami, but that level of interaction I didn't feel towards the end when it became more story focused.

Hopefully you're able to add some animations, like with a transformation sequence, or adding a little more animation on the alien assault, that would add alot more to the VN.
You might want to add some more music pieces in the current section, or add a little variance to prevent too repetitious soundtrack.

Overall I enjoyed it! I'm definitely following this project for sure.
Thanks for the super helpful critique! I've been a huge fan of the magical girl genre for a long time, so I'm glad I could put my knowledge to some use with this VN. I also really enjoyed making the menu- it's one of my favourite things to do whenever I start a new VN project.

There are definitely some things I'd have liked to have added/fixed for the project, eg.
more interactions between Kagami/the player, Kagami/other characters,
better transformation scenes, sound levels(!!!!!!), but due to the huge time constraints (I had only 1 month to create this game), plus the fact that I worked on this project mostly by myself, I couldn't do as much as I wanted...

I can't promise that there will be a finished version of this game since school's been getting super busy for me, but I at least wanted to prove that I could complete a game by myself.

Again, thanks for the pointers! I'll definitely take them into consideration when I get onto my next project!