Creepy Lily [Horror][18+]

Because less is more: Noncommercial games of < 1 hour playtime and < 2 month development time.
fullmontis
Regular
Deviantart: fullmontis
itch: fullmontis

Creepy Lily [Horror][18+]

#1 Post by fullmontis »

lilysitting1-min.png
Neil is a college student whose life has lost aim.
But meeting Lily, like an omen, will give his life a direction he won't be able to escape.

Inspired by horror works like Tomie and Saya No Uta
Type: Kinetic Novel (one ending)
RATING: 18+ (Strong Violence and Sexual Content)
RELEASE: TBD
PROGRESS:

Code: Select all

Outline:     [####################] 100%
Script:      [####################] 100%
Programming: [                    ]   0%
Graphics:    [                    ]   0%
Audio/Music: [                    ]   0%
UI:          [                    ]   0%
ABOUT

Hi and thanks for visiting! This is a horror visual novel I'm developing for the SuNoFes18 during the summer.

I actually started a visual novel of the same name for NaNoRenO 2018, but due to different reasons I was unable to finish it. Since I really liked the idea but had big problems with the script I had created, i scrapped the content I had already created and decided to start fresh.

Will update as soon as I get more stuff done. Of course, if you have any opinions you want to share, please do!

You can follow me on twitter for updates: https://twitter.com/fullmontis

SCREENSHOTS (OLD BUILD, OUTDATED):
screenshot0012.png
screenshot0011.png
screenshot0010.png
screenshot00091.png
screenshot00111.png
Last edited by fullmontis on Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:49 am, edited 16 times in total.

fullmontis
Regular

Re: Creepy Lily [Horror][18+][SuNoFes18]

#2 Post by fullmontis »

New screenshot added!

EDIT: screenshots removed because from an older build
Last edited by fullmontis on Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlackMagnolia
Regular

#3 Post by BlackMagnolia »

I love the renewed aesthetic, that UI is smooth and the character art looks wonderful.

fullmontis
Regular

#4 Post by fullmontis »

So it's been a while since I posted some updates, so let's make a recap of what has been going on, good and bad:

First of all, I'm glad to present now the other main character in the story: Derek. He's a moody guy, but a good friend to the protagonist nonetheless, and the other character we will be interacting with in the story.
derekpres.png
That was the good announcement. The bad one is that I won't be able to work on the visual novel on the last week of august, which means that I will probably be unable to complete everything for the anticipated schedule of end of august. At this point, I feel safer to postpone the release to the end of september as not to rush anything and be able to polish the game and betatest it correctly. I'm really sorry! I hope this time everything goes as intended.

That was all for now. I will post some updates on the story and add more screenshots soon. Until then, have a good time!

chiharuchi
Regular

#5 Post by chiharuchi »

Aaaaa this looks interesting. Waiting for an update!

Honeydrop
Projects: Honeydrop

#6 Post by Honeydrop »

Ohh this looks cool. I can't wait until it's playable.
HoneyDrop - An erotic visual novel coming in...uh, I'll get back to you on that.

fullmontis
Regular

#7 Post by fullmontis »

Thank you so much, chiharuchi and Honeydrop! I'm really happy it intrigues you!

---

Sorry for the lack of updates of as late! Let's bring in some news.

I did a lot of changes to the script with time, mostly because I wanted to reduce the scope of the story. I realized, as usual, that I'm trying to make a way bigger game that my one man army capabilities can take on. I had to rewrite most of the script and scrap a lot of scenes I had spent some time on. This kind of sucks, but unfortunately there wasn't much that I could do about it. This brings both bad and good news.

The bad news is that I won't probably be able to finish the game by the end of September, as I thought I would be able to do. I still want to release it before Halloween, so I'm going to postpone the release date back a couple of weeks, into the middle of October, let's say Saturday the 13th because I like that number as a release date for the game. Chances are that it may oscillate in either direction of a couple of days, but you still are going to get a solid, creepy experience before Halloween night! I will try to release a demo/teaser for the Ren'Py jam to spread some hype, but I doubt I will be able to do it. Not impossible, but rather hard. Let's see how it goes.

The good news is that the game is now a lot tighter, which means I can work a lot more on polishing it and working on it. This means a better and more enjoyable experience for you! I will be able to release more info about the story as the game progresses, and I can finally hint at more details before the release of the game. Which is something sorely needed since the game is quite bare bones in terms of details as of now. Don't worry! There are more details coming out soon.

Thanks all for the attention and let's go back to making the game!

Oh, I also realized that I never posted the final sprite for Lily in the thread (one of two, actually, which I'm going to post at a later date), so here it is.
Attachments
lilypromo.png

fullmontis
Regular

#8 Post by fullmontis »

Quick update for the end of the month.

Script is very nearly finished. I plan to complete it in a couple of days. Longest route came quite long, more than 12.000 words currently, which is more than I expected to be honest.

Thinking how much I've written, rewritten and planned this story, it is really a relief it is on paper. Of course there are things to adjust, but now the hard part is behind and the end line is in sight. Which means that, if things don't go crazy, I will be able to finish the game for the expected deadline in the middle of October. I plan about one week for the graphics and a few days for the music and sfx. Since the rest is pretty much in place, that's what is left.

When the script is finished, I will post more story updates and start working head down on the graphics.

See you in the next update!

fullmontis
Regular

#9 Post by fullmontis »

Update, an important one:

I won't be able to release for tomorrow (October 13th) as I planned to at first. I'm really really really sorry about that! :oops: :oops: :oops: I realize I haven't been that trustworthy with deadlines so far, so I just decided to not give one unless I'm 100% sure it will be out on that day. But I'm still sure it will be out before the end of october, since most of the big problems have been ironed out and now it is mostly grind to the end.

The good news is that the script is finished. Finally! This has been one of the hardest things I've ever worked on, and the fact that it is finally down on file fills me with relief. There are still a handful of things to fix, but those are trivial now.

The script came out to be about 25000 words long with 4 endings. 25000! That is more than double the word count I expected when starting to write it, no wonder I couldn't keep up with all the deadlines I was putting up. This shows that I completely misunderstood the scope of the story, which is something I'm definitely guilty of way too often. But what came out is very good, and I'm really happy with it, so maybe it is for the greater good.

The script came out way darker than I expected. It definitely confirms the 18+ tag at this point. It ended up becoming more of a dark romance rather than pure horror after the changes in the script, but there are still some horror aspets that pad the story.

I also started to work on the CGs and backgrounds, which is relatively quick for me since I draw faster than I write. Which means that there will finally be some updates with sceenshots and graphics, which are more interesting than just sterile text for sure.

For now that is all. Expect more updates more often from now on. Till next time.

fullmontis
Regular

#10 Post by fullmontis »

Update:

NEW SCREENSHOTS! Horray!

i've been working on the art nonstop until now. There is still a lot to do, but I think the main hurdle has been overcome. I had to redesign the character sprites because I felt they didn't fit the story well. I'm quite happy with how it all turned out. I had a few problems with an art mood that fit the story, but I think this is all smoothed out now. *sighs in relief*

The rough for almost all the CGs have been completed, and some of the inking and coloring has been done. From here it is smooth sailing. I COULD technically already put out a release date, since from now it is just a grind, but since I've jinxed every single one until now, I won't. Let's just say that it will miss Halloween, unfortunately, but not by much.

I'm really happy to finally show some final art for the game because I'm really excited about how it is coming together. I hope to hear some feedback from you!
screenshot0012.png
screenshot0011.png
screenshot0010.png
screenshot0009.png

fullmontis
Regular

#11 Post by fullmontis »

New cover art:
holding.png

fullmontis
Regular

Re: Creepy Lily [Horror][18+]

#12 Post by fullmontis »

New screenshots.

I'm sorry about the lack of updates as of late, the fact is that I'm just working on the game and there isn't much more about it. There has been steady progress, and the deadline is not far either, but for now I prefer to be conservative with dates.

I think I can put out however how much there is left to do and list it here for clarity:

- a few fixes to the script (not super time consuming however)
- a handful of backgrounds
- about half of the CGs (however I have the drafts done)
- most of the scripting for dialogue and cgs (probably the biggest time sink right now)
- all sound effects (not super time consuming however, and I already have a few recorded)
- all music (but I already have a few motifs to work on)

Everything is in place, so it's just time to grind and put everything together. I'm rather pleased as to how it is coming along, and can't wait to show you guys.

If you have any feedback, or some questions, or anything else really, please feel free to ask them! I'm more than happy to hear from you, and I'm not that good at understanding what people may want to hear, as you can see :oops:
Attachments
screenshot0009.png
screenshot0011.png

BlackMagnolia
Regular

#13 Post by BlackMagnolia »

Glad to see this making so much progress.

fullmontis
Regular

#14 Post by fullmontis »

Thank you BlackMagnolia, I will try and keep up the progress.

----

Time for some updates:

A little treat. I made a cover image that I think it settles the mood for the whole story quite nicely. I think I'm going to use this as the main promotional piece for the visual novel.

lilysitting1-min.png

There has been steady progress in the visual novel, both in the script and graphics. Of course, I missed the November release I planned :oops: For some reason the more I do the more it seems to be done, and it's really becoming overwhelming, but it's starting to thin out luckily. As long as it is a finite number of tasks it is doable.

That said, the script needs a little revision, since I have to add a fifth ending to tie some loose ends in terms of story, which sets the end line a little further. However this is the last script change, so that's a relief. In terms of graphics, there is little enough to do that I can make a list:

- about 6 more CGs
- a handful of minor images (simpler CGs that aren't full color)
- 2 bgs

Also, I'm about halfway there on adding characters graphics to the script. As you can see, there isn't definitely much left to do, especially considering that I've done at least 35 pieces of graphics not considering the character poses themselves.

At this point I won't even try to set a time frame because I know how it is going to end. But I'd say for sure that the largest part is done, and that it is mostly the small stuff now. But as the say the devil is in the detail.

A little something else. This weekend I will take a break from Lily to partecipate in the Ludum Dare compo. I find that finishing something simple really boosts motivation for other projects, which is definitely something I can use right now. From there, it's all about riding the wave all the way to the end line.

Thanks for following the development so far. Hopefully it won't be long before it will release!

fullmontis
Regular

#15 Post by fullmontis »

Since the end of the year is just around the corner, it's time to post some updates. About, er, the lack of them.

This month I didn't work on Creepy Lily, as I announced. I wanted to focus on a small game I had made for Ludum Dare, and to catch up with a handful of small things that had been put on hold after starting working on Lily which had really started nagging me. At first I thought it would take me a week tops, but it ended up eating away a a lot of time. Then christmas came along, etc, and it was hard to find time for everything.

While it was a break from the game, I think it was a good choice, because it helped me get some distance from the project. I never stopped thinking about it, not for one moment! In fact, having some time away from it really helped iron out a handful of problems I had with it, and now I can see exactly the end line. It is really exciting.

I'm really looking forward to getting back on the project, which I'm going to do as soon as 2019 stretches out of bed. Can't wait!

That's pretty much it. Sorry again for the lack of updates. I catch this opportunity to send you my best wishes for a happy new year!