Starlight and The Lost Prince [Animated VN/Point-and-click] [GxB] [Romance/Sci-fi]

Because less is more: Noncommercial games of < 1 hour playtime and < 2 month development time.
faerisami
Projects: Starlight and The Lost Prince
Tumblr: faeri-sami

Starlight and The Lost Prince [Animated VN/Point-and-click] [GxB] [Romance/Sci-fi]

#1 Post by faerisami »

✧Starlight and the Lost Prince✧

Lara Amorim is your typical geeky young woman - a relatively famous fantasy novel writer stuck in a bad writer’s block, she moves to a cottage by the sea looking for new experiences. Little she knows the forest in her new backyard houses an alien - Eos, an explorer for the Medusa Nebula Council who crashes on Earth by accident.

Now tangled in this situation, Lara is faced with more philosophical questions about being human than she asked for, all while helping her new friend repair his spaceship and writing a new book after re-finding her passion. But, as great their friendship becomes despite differences, it stems from a very unlikely encounter - so what will their future be after Eos must report back to his homeworld? Will they part ways forever, or will their bond grow so strong they'll become unable to bring themselves to see the other go?

✧Characters✧

✧Lara Amorim✧
Lara may appear shy and maybe like a push-over - but she's actually very stubborn, specially when it involves helping someone who she cares about. Very passionate about the fantastic and supernatural, she does not think twice before following Eos when she first meets him - which leads to the encounter that changes her life forever.

✧Eos Iunou✧
Eos is a model citizen of the Vax - one of the funding species of the Medusa Nebula Council. After his job pushes away someone very important to him, he loses his courage to take initiative, which does not help as he crashes into one of the planets he was studying for the Council - planet Earth. Now under protocol not to draw attention, he is afraid of accepting the help of the only human being who dared to come close to him - Lara Amorim.

✧Features✧

✧It’s short, but sweet - one hour on average of playthrough!
✧A mix of visual novel with point and click! All dialogue paired with simple reaction animations to make the experience more immersing, plus cutscenes for key moments!
✧A cast of three very much relatable queer characters, because it wouldn’t be a romantic sci-fi without The Gays™, would it?
✧Two normal endings with a secret one to unlock, making it a total of three endings!
✧Script, backgrounds, characters and animations done by yours truly, out of sheer love for this project! Coding and soundtracks may be from copyright free libraries because no one can be this talented, right?
✧Filled with bunch of memes that probably won’t age well but damn if I’m not committed to them!

✧About✧

Hey everyone! I'm an animation undergraduate who wants to venture into the world of making narrative focused games, and what better way to start if not in the visual novel mechanic? That being said, I wanted this VN to be different from what you usually see - I want to put my 4+ years of animation study to work, so instead of relying on text to convey emotions and actions, I want to use animations to do so!

Now, this is a completely personal project that, even though is planed to be only one hour long per playthorugh, will very much be a lot to try to accomplish - I'm well aware of that. I still want to try, as this project holds a special place in my heart! But some help would be really appreciated:
  • If anyone's interested in beta reading the script for me, I'd be so grateful! English isn't my first language, and my main concern is whether the relationship between Lara and Eos develops in a believable way - I know this will be very hard to grasp in a script without written descriptions (I only wrote down actions as a reminder of what animation to use), but any input I can get on this before puring hours and hours animating would be a lifesaver! If anyone at all would be interested, send me a PM and I'll link the script to you!
  • Music: I envision relaxing guitar or piano music for this project, on the style you usually find in lo-fi hip-hop playlists on youtube. If anyone can point out some pieces with free copyright use, it would save me so much time instead of composing it myself and ending up with something mediocre!
And that's pretty much it! Thank you for taking a little bit of your time to read about my project! <3

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

Re: Starlight and The Lost Prince [Animated VN/Point-and-click] [GxB] [Romance/Sci-fi]

#2 Post by Zelan »

Hi there, faerisami, welcome to Lemmasoft!

Your art style is absolutely gorgeous, and I love Lara and Eos's designs! I like that you made Eos actually look like a being from another planet - there are so many alien characters who are just humans with weird skin colors. I find it much more interesting when alien characters have cool different features.

Also, I'm perfectly willing to read straight romance, so the [GxB] tag wasn't a turn-off, but knowing that this VN does in fact feature The Gays™ makes me even more excited for it. The point-and-click and animation features also sound awesome, I'm super excited to see how this turns out!

skyeworks
Regular
Projects: K9-11
itch: skyefrost

Re: Starlight and The Lost Prince [Animated VN/Point-and-click] [GxB] [Romance/Sci-fi]

#3 Post by skyeworks »

faerisami wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:30 am
Hey everyone! I'm an animation undergraduate who wants to venture into the world of making narrative focused games, and what better way to start if not in the visual novel mechanic? That being said, I wanted this VN to be different from what you usually see - I want to put my 4+ years of animation study to work, so instead of relying on text to convey emotions and actions, I want to use animations to do so!

Now, this is a completely personal project that, even though is planed to be only one hour long per playthorugh, will very much be a lot to try to accomplish - I'm well aware of that. I still want to try, as this project holds a special place in my heart! But some help would be really appreciated:
  • If anyone's interested in beta reading the script for me, I'd be so grateful! English isn't my first language, and my main concern is whether the relationship between Lara and Eos develops in a believable way - I know this will be very hard to grasp in a script without written descriptions (I only wrote down actions as a reminder of what animation to use), but any input I can get on this before puring hours and hours animating would be a lifesaver! If anyone at all would be interested, send me a PM and I'll link the script to you!
  • Music: I envision relaxing guitar or piano music for this project, on the style you usually find in lo-fi hip-hop playlists on youtube. If anyone can point out some pieces with free copyright use, it would save me so much time instead of composing it myself and ending up with something mediocre!
And that's pretty much it! Thank you for taking a little bit of your time to read about my project! <3
OMG I THOUGHT I REPLIED TO THIS!!! Okay, I freaking love this vn omg, Okay the art is amazing and The characters are so cool! ALSO ANIMATION THAT'S SOUNDS SO COOL!!! (I am a bad animator so whenever I see real animators I get so excited!) I can proofread some stuff if you like! I look forward to this vn!! :D

Som free music that I use would be https://freemusicarchive.org. Though I don't see any lo-fi on there for hip hop but under Rock there it is. (not sure if there's a difference. am not a music person!!) But you can also use https://incompetech.com/ for some since he does a ton of piano and guitar. (you can search his music by feel and his website has an amazing sorting. (though be forewarned that some of the music is used quite a lot so I wouldn't recommend taking all your music from this but one or two should be fine.

parttimestorier
Veteran
Completed: No Other Medicine, Well Met By Moonlight, RE:BURN, The Light at the End of the Ocean, Take A Hike!, Wizard School Woes
Projects: Seeds of Dreams
itch: janetitor

#4 Post by parttimestorier »

This looks so cute! I love the art style so far, and I'm really interested to see how the animations turn out. For some more general music suggestions, this thread that lists and translates a bunch of Japanese creative commons music sites has been really helpful to me, and there are plenty of other great resources in the creative commons section of the forums as well. Best of luck with the project - I'm looking forward to reading it.
ImageImageImage

Preseva
Regular
Projects: The Miller's Daughter

#5 Post by Preseva »

Wow! The characters and story are as captivating as the art. It looks like the kind of classic sci-fi I love to read, and I am very much excited to see that in a VN. I don't know how much depth I can go into since I don't have much spare time these days, but I've love to look the script over and give my thoughts on it.

faerisami

#6 Post by faerisami »

Ah I just wanted to thank you guys for the interest and the compliments - they made my day, no kidding! And I'm also really grateful for the links to the music libraries, I've already found some gems in them that will definitely be used!

I'll be sending the link to the script to those interested in beta reading it through PMs - any help on it is appreciated, big or small!

Thanks everyone!

faerisami

#7 Post by faerisami »

Hey everyone, I just wanted to post a quick update as I've made quite the progress with it - thanks to you guys the script is beta read, which is so great! I've also finished a couple of backgrounds that are (mostly) ready to serve as stages for the characters to interact with! This project calls for more backgrounds than I was hoping for, and I'm considering cutting down on some to save me time as most scenes don't require a new background to happen. Anyways, here they are!

Image Image

Image Image

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#8 Post by Zelan »

Oh, wow, those backgrounds are so gorgeous! I love all of the posters she has on her wall, and the ocean-view window is amazing.