MY DEAR PLAYER, MY DEAR GOD [Free][Adventure][Fantasy][Weird][Ghibli inspired]

Because less is more: Noncommercial games of < 1 hour playtime and < 2 month development time.
sergeeo
Projects: My Dear Player, My Dear God
Soundcloud: sergeeo
itch: sergeeo

MY DEAR PLAYER, MY DEAR GOD [Free][Adventure][Fantasy][Weird][Ghibli inspired]

#1 Post by sergeeo »

STORY

You're used to be a hero. You're always the main character when you play a game. You take the fame and glory. But is it all about you or about the role you play? Are you a hero or a trained character controller? What would happen if the character you play with relate to you in a... mystical way?

"My Dear Player, My Dear God" is a weird story where a young boy fights for defining himself with very few weapons: a sword he doesn't know how to use and his dreams. In his first quest, he will try to shape his spiritual life through adventures and conversations with crazy characters.

Will you help him make the right choices? Can you help him make the right choices?

SCREENSHOTS

·
·
·
·
FEATURES
  • +10k words
  • +10 endings and deaths in three main story branches
  • Crazy characters in a world where reality and fantasy meet
  • Cheap existentialism and puns
  • Weird god simulator responsibilities
WHAT IS IT?

"My Dear Player, My Dear God" is a very personal work which started as a jam game, but ended being something that I wanted to release more carefully. I was willing to write and release a short visual novel for too long! This is my first time using RenPy. Well... this is my first post in the forum! Hi everyone! :D

The game is about exploring the relationship between a character and the person who plays the game. There are also conversations about dreams, life, faith, jobs and some classic RPG puns!

The art has been made by the awesome Daniel Cisneros, with a strong Ghibli inspiration as you can see.

MUSIC

I'm writing the soundtrack by myself. By the moment I have just completed one track! You can listen to it in soundcloud.

PROGRESS
  • Programming: 90%
  • Writing: 95%
  • Proof reading: 0%
  • Audio: 30%
  • Art: 100%
RELEASE DATE

End of September 2018! (hopefully)

PLEASE COMMENT!

Let me know what you think about the art, the idea and the project if you have some time :) Thanks in advance!

Meera

Re: MY DEAR PLAYER, MY DEAR GOD [Free][Adventure][Fantasy][Weird][Ghibli inspired]

#2 Post by Meera »

This looks great. I love the artwork, the colors pop out very nicely, and both backgrounds and characters feel like they fit the theme together. The premise you listed is easy to grasp and interesting enough that I'd try it out. (I can't listen to audio right now, or I'd let you know how that sounds too.) One critique is for your font choice. It's okay to stylize things like the characters' names or unique scenes with fancier font, but for reading in bulk, it's much easier to read something with less serifs.

GrammaHobbes
Regular

Re: MY DEAR PLAYER, MY DEAR GOD [Free][Adventure][Fantasy][Weird][Ghibli inspired]

#3 Post by GrammaHobbes »

This is utterly cute- I am a huge fan of studio ghibli and the art style is very very lovely!

sergeeo

#4 Post by sergeeo »

Meera wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:01 am This looks great. I love the artwork, the colors pop out very nicely, and both backgrounds and characters feel like they fit the theme together. The premise you listed is easy to grasp and interesting enough that I'd try it out. (I can't listen to audio right now, or I'd let you know how that sounds too.) One critique is for your font choice. It's okay to stylize things like the characters' names or unique scenes with fancier font, but for reading in bulk, it's much easier to read something with less serifs.
To be honest I wasn't very sure about the font so I'll work on that! You can't see it in these screenshots, but when capitalized... that font is a bit too confusing. Even in short words like "OK" it doesn't look great. I'll look for an alternative :)

Thanks for your comment Meera, it's very helpful.

sergeeo

#5 Post by sergeeo »

GrammaHobbes wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:35 am This is utterly cute- I am a huge fan of studio ghibli and the art style is very very lovely!
Thanks! I hope I can release it soon :)

sergeeo

#6 Post by sergeeo »

EDIT: Proofreading already completed!

sergeeo

#7 Post by sergeeo »

Hello my dear friends!

MDP, MDG has been finally released! It's a really humble game... a jam project that I just wanted to take a little further. I'm very happy with the result, even if there's plenty of room for improvement. It would be cool to have a decent GUI, more music, more text... but hey, as I said before, it's a jam game.

If I find the time in the future, I'd like to complete the Spanish version and add some extra effects here and there. The main screen is a bit... sad as it is :)

I've written almost all the music in a couple of hours this afternoon, so don't expect anything too good!

I've joined Ren'Py Jam even if I started to work on the game last summer to see if I can get more people to play it :)

I'd like to thank Magna Ostermann and Antonio Villar for their incredible help! Big thanks to Dani for getting involved in the game! You're all the best!

Please tell me what you think about the game if you play it! If you find some kind of error, I will gladly check and fix it!

Thank you!

Link