Permadeath - also across savegames?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Errilhl
Regular
Projects: HSS
Deviantart: studioerrilhl
Github: studioerrilhl

Permadeath - also across savegames?

#1 Post by Errilhl »

Is this possible? Ie, an actual permadeath, forcing a player to have to start over again?

I was sort of thinking of something like this:

Code: Select all

define persistent.permadeath = False

# then, if later the permadeath event actually happens, change this to

persistent.permadeath = True

And, perhaps do a check for whether or not permadeath actually is true, but how would I do that also for savegames (basically savegames from before the event happens)?

Is there a check in Renpy that triggers based on whether a game is started anew, or via load savegame?
Currently working on: Image

Milkymalk
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Don't Look (AGS game)
Projects: KANPEKI! ★Perfect Play★
Organization: Crappy White Wings

Re: Permadeath - also across savegames?

#2 Post by Milkymalk »

At game start, give that playthrough a randomized ID (long enough that it will "never" occur twice, or just use a timestamp from when it was started). Save a list of all permadeathed playthroughs in a persistent variable and check it after loading.
Remember that permadeath can be REALLY frustrating, though.
Crappy White Wings (currently quite inactive)
Working on: KANPEKI!
(On Hold: New Eden, Imperial Sea, Pure Light)

ArcialIntegra
Regular

#3 Post by ArcialIntegra »

Errilhl wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:42 pm Is this possible? Ie, an actual permadeath, forcing a player to have to start over again?

I was sort of thinking of something like this:

Code: Select all

define persistent.permadeath = False

# then, if later the permadeath event actually happens, change this to

persistent.permadeath = True

And, perhaps do a check for whether or not permadeath actually is true, but how would I do that also for savegames (basically savegames from before the event happens)?

Is there a check in Renpy that triggers based on whether a game is started anew, or via load savegame?
Why not modify the save files so that you can only have 1 save? Then, when you reach a scene where you die, it results in an autosave forcing that singular save-file to be stuck in a "death state". Or... You could pull a
Doki Doki Literature Club
and make it so the game itself is unplayable once you trigger a death scene.

Errilhl
Regular
Projects: HSS
Deviantart: studioerrilhl
Github: studioerrilhl

#4 Post by Errilhl »

I would like this to both be selectable, and even avoidable (IF the user is smart about where to save and such), so while that is a solution, it's not entirely what I'm looking for.
Currently working on: Image