Some Korean words are not properly displayed

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Greenwood JJ

Some Korean words are not properly displayed

#1 Post by Greenwood JJ »

I am currently translating English games into Korean to play it myself, but the main character's name written in Korean is not properly displayed in a specific part of the game. I think only that part is not supported by Unicode.

Below is the code from entering the character's name to where the problem arises.

Code: Select all

define pla = Character("James", color="#ee1c0d", image="pla")

init python:
    player = "James"

def player_name(newstring):
        store.player = newstring

#Game Start
    $ player = ""

call screen playerInput
    if player != "":
        $ pla = Character('[player]', color="#ee1c0d", image="pla")

screen playerInput:
    text "{size=40}{i}Input player name.{/i}{/size}" xpos 1080 ypos 480 xalign 0.5 yalign 0.5
    add Input (size=40, default="James", changed=player_name, length=12, xpos= 1060, ypos = 540)
    key "K_RETURN" action Return()
    imagebutton focus_mask True idle "buttons/Ok_idle.png" hover "buttons/Ok_hover.png" action Return() pos 965,0 xalign 0.5 yalign 0.5

ally = str(pla)

text "[ally]" xpos 549 ypos 507 xalign 0.0
So it's the text = "[ally]" part that has problem. When I enter a Korean name on the playerInput screen, unknown characters are output from text="[ally]".
In all other parts of the game, Korean letters are displayed without any problems..

Variable viewer in the part where the problem occurs, it is as shown in the picture below.

I think it's because there's no "u" in front of ally = ''... But I don't know what to do. Is there a solution?