Gallery question

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

Gallery question

#1 Post by lordcloudx »

I'd like to add other pictures which weren't shown in the game to the cg gallery.

Is there anyway to just make all the pictures unlocked by default?
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'
Organization: Watercolorheart Studios
IRC Nick: BCS
Tumblr: adminwatercolor
Deviantart: itsmywatercolorheart
Github: Watercolordevdev
Soundcloud: Watercollider
itch: watercolorheart

#2 Post by Watercolorheart »

I think that the gallery extra is unlocked by default. I'd actually like to have a gallery that only shows images that the player has seen, but I'm not sure how to code for it. I think it involves lots of checking for variables and the persistant one.

Don't you only need to define the image in your imagelist, and then call for it?

Or perhaps you can have a special gallery page like "Extras"

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran

#3 Post by lordcloudx »

it is unlocked by default and it also only shows scenes which the player has already seen by default.

But I want to include some pictures not shown in the actual game.
But they appear as null images in the gallery because the player has never seen them in the actual game.
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#4 Post by PyTom »

lordcloudx wrote: But I want to include some pictures not shown in the actual game.
But they appear as null images in the gallery because the player has never seen them in the actual game.
Why not just show them and immediately hide them?

show extra foo
hide extra foo

or code to that effect?
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran

#5 Post by lordcloudx »

PyTom wrote: Why not just show them and immediately hide them?

show extra foo
hide extra foo

or code to that effect?
How do I do that?
I don't want them to see the extra images except inside the gallery.[/quote]

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#6 Post by PyTom »

The user won't see the image.

Realize that show and hide statements only take effect at the next interaction. (A say statement, a menu statement, or a transition.)

So if you do a show and then a hide in a row, the user won't see anything.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'

#7 Post by Watercolorheart »

True.

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran

#8 Post by lordcloudx »

Oh I see. Thanx a lot. I'm a total script kiddy. :P

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran

#9 Post by Watercolorheart »

Me too, don't feel badly.