Experiencing random text and dissolve lag.

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
tigersmurf
Regular
Projects: From Innocence

Experiencing random text and dissolve lag.

#1 Post by tigersmurf »

Hi, I tried searching but was unable to find a helpful thread. My problem is that I recently installed the new version of Ren'Py and transferred my game folder to it, and suddenly, my in-progress game is experiencing periodic text and dissolve lag. Some of the lines in the game are lagging i.e. the text pauses for a second after being clicked and then just "pops in", (rather than smoothly scrolling in.) The same with some dissolves, characters are popping in and out after a brief lag rather than smoothly dissolving into or out of the scene.

The strange thing is...this is happening on always the same lines. It is not lagging at a different place each time. It also happens during rollback/forward. I have found that I can remove the line and avoid the lag, or even sometimes alter the line for the same effect, but it's really going to be a problem to have to remove or alter roughly 10% of my thousands of lines.

I switched back to a previous version of Ren'Py (can't remember exactly which one I started making my game with, but I think it was 6.11.1 or 6.11.2. And the problem persists!

My system specs are quite high and certainly not the cause of the lag, since I had no trouble before switching Ren'Py versions. Has anyone heard of this happening before? Is there a solution? Any help would be greatly appreciated! It isn't exactly breaking my game, but it sure is annoying and troublesome.

tigersmurf
Regular

Re: Experiencing random text and dissolve lag.

#2 Post by tigersmurf »

Okay, nevermind. I finally figured out the problem! I had an old save directory in a place that no longer existed that seems to have been the culprit. It took me awhile to catch it. I was sure it had something to do with installing a new version of Ren'Py.

tigersmurf
Regular

#3 Post by tigersmurf »

Nevermind again :( That didn't seem to fully fix the problem I described. It's still halting on certain lines in the script. Interestingly, my save files are not deleted when I click "delete persistent" in the Ren'Py launcher. Are they supposed to be? I'm still trying to decide if this laggy problem has anything to do with my save directory. Any ideas or suggestions?

What should the text read after "config.save_directory ="??

wolveski
Regular
Completed: none...yet
Projects: Heavens Falls (WIP)

#4 Post by wolveski »

hmmm i'm guessing your either on windows vista on windows 7

try turning your UAC off (control panel>user accounts>user acount control NOTE you may need to reboot) this should help with deleting persistant,not sure if it will help with lag

Alex
Lemma-Class Veteran

#5 Post by Alex »

I had similar problem with time lag - in my case it was a big image, which slows down the system while loading, like

Code: Select all

"This line is lagging"
# several lines of code
show big_image___3mb_size

tigersmurf
Regular

#6 Post by tigersmurf »

Hi, and thanks for your responses! Yes, I am using Windows 7 64 bit edition. I have just tried turning off UAC, and it doesn't appear to have fixed either the lag or the "delete persistent" issue.

I even created a new game, and copied my script into it to see if that would fix it, but no deal.

In my options.rpy my save directory looks like this: "config.save_directory = "Koyo-1306228597" I have not altered it since creating a new game.

As far as lagging issues, it's very odd. I never had this problem until I installed a new version of Ren'py. I installed ver. 6.12.1 and got the lag, now I'm back to using 6.11.2 which is what I started making my game with, and the problem lingers. I don't know what else to try.

It's not necessarily even happening exclusively with large image files or lots of text or dissolves, etc. That should not be an issue anyway, since, like I said, I ran the same script with no issues previously.

For instance:

Code: Select all

m "Did you know that today is {b}taco day{/b}!?"
"..."
pov "I'd heard."                                  #<----this line is lagging and "popping in" after a delay, rather than scrolling in smoothly.
"Her enthusiasm is contagious and knows no bounds."
Just a random line that always lags, always the same lines. If I delete the line, then no lag, but, I can't just go through and delete hundreds of important lines in my script, can I? I worked very hard on my script, and I'd hate to have to butcher it just to avoid this issue. Plus, the game isn't finished, and I'd hate for new lines to end up with the same problem, you know?