Character Select Screen?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Haruka

Character Select Screen?

#1 Post by Haruka »

I wanted to make a game where you can select between two different characters to play as. The NPC's are relatively the same, but different names are said.

Is this possible with Ren'py?

Alessio
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: GO! Magical Boy (2006), Angelic Orbs (soundtrack)
Projects: Cyberlin (in progress)

#2 Post by Alessio »

Sure, but you'd need to be more specific as to what and how you want to do it. The choice could e.g. be a graphical one (clicking on an image) or a menu one. Based on that, you could fill a variable with the name of the chosen character and use that variable in the text whenever the name should appear.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by monele »

Whichever you need, checking the Ren'Py demo script should yield good results. There is a graphical "pick a person" choice at some point, and plenty of regular text choices.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#4 Post by PyTom »

I think that others have done a good job of explaining what we need to know to properly answer the question... so let me just welcome Haruka to the forum.

Oh, I should also point out that the graphical choice is under "Demonstrate ... User Interaction", if I recall correctly. You can also prompt people to enter their name, although I don't like that as much, as it doesn't work well with all languages.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Haruka

#5 Post by Haruka »

Thank you for the quick reply, I really appreciate it!

I wanted to have the player click on an image at the beginning of the game and play through the game with that character.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#6 Post by PyTom »

In that case, you want to look at renpy.imagemap, which is what is demonstrated in the menu.

You may also want to decide if this is really what you want to do. Are two POV characters really necessary? Or do they just double the amount of work you'll have to do, at least to test the game.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Dis
Regular
Projects: Angel of Love,Forgotten,War's Fate, D

#7 Post by Dis »

Well , yes. They double Haruka's and my (I already added the character selection to my game) amount of work, but I don't care. I'm planing to make a VN , in which you can select from three characters at the start , and you can unlock some bonus characters.

Sorry if my English is wrong , I'm Hungarian.
Where there's a will there's a way.

Project D:AoL
Special Thanks for their motivation and support to: BCS, Enerccio, mikey, monele, PyTom, yvanc, mugenjohncel, Sai