Problem with SFONTs (and others)

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Wolfrider

Problem with SFONTs (and others)

#1 Post by Wolfrider »

I don't know if I must post this here or in the Ren'Py forum (or is it only for official announcements and comments?)

Disclaimer: My only programming experience was making a program that printed a list of the files of a given directory. Please, don't kill me.

Well, I got some free time and returned to my game-making mode, and somehow managed to set up a english/spanish SFONT in Renpy (it has the letter Ñ, and the ¿ and ¡ signs). It compiled (?) OK but at start of the game I noticed something wrong... the text was like 'blurred'.

After some checking, I discovered that the font engine insisted in drawing the 'drop-shadow' even when using a SFONT. Being bitmap-based I thought that drop shadows can be burned in the font itself (PNG file) and then my font looked funny.

MY WORKAROUND: I set the default drop_shadow to (0,0), the default was (1,1)

FIRST PROBLEM: I don't know if it works like this, but i suppose that the font engine is writing two times every character, one exactly above the other, the result is 'no drop shadow' to the user, but internally it is time-consuming for the engine.

Am I thinking well? Is there a way to disable the drop-shadows?

SECOND PROBLEM: OK, I can make a font that work OK with the automated drop-shadow. But the shadow is of the same color of the font, since it's a bitmap. Is there a way to define another bitmap for the drop shadow font?

Then, I set the SFONT as default, and...

THIRD PROBLEM: The buttons of the main menu (and all buttons) look bad. No problem, I change to another SFONT, but:

- The buttons don't change at all when I hover over them, nor when clicked.
- The buttons also have the drop-shadow that I thought I disabled some time ago

When looking in the docs of Ren'Py, there are a way to define the 'hover_color' 'selected_color' and others, but I don't know how to make it work with a SFONT.

Are there a way of defining, let's say: 'hover_font' or 'selected_font'?

Or, are there a way of defining a SFONT with (example) three bitmaps (one for each color)?

-----------------

Oh, and I put a language selction screen (an imagemap) in the 'label: splashscreen', this will modify the variable 'persistent.language' that will be then evaluated in the 'label: start'. Is this OK or I am buying some troubles with that cheat?

---------------

Plase Help me~ (T-T)

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Problem with SFONTs (and others)

#2 Post by PyTom »

Wolfrider wrote:I don't know if I must post this here or in the Ren'Py forum (or is it only for official announcements and comments?)
The Ren'Py forum is a better place for Ren'Py support. So I moved this thread here.
MY WORKAROUND: I set the default drop_shadow to (0,0), the default was (1,1)

FIRST PROBLEM: I don't know if it works like this, but i suppose that the font engine is writing two times every character, one exactly above the other, the result is 'no drop shadow' to the user, but internally it is time-consuming for the engine.

Am I thinking well? Is there a way to disable the drop-shadows?
Set drop_shadow to None, rather than (0, 0), to disable drop shadows entirely.
SECOND PROBLEM: OK, I can make a font that work OK with the automated drop-shadow. But the shadow is of the same color of the font, since it's a bitmap. Is there a way to define another bitmap for the drop shadow font?
Your best bet is to include the shadow as part of the font. If this makes the spacing between letters two wide, you can decrease the default_kern parameter (making it, say, -2) to cancel out the drop-shadow.

For best results, the drop-shadow should be to the right of the character.
Are there a way of defining, let's say: 'hover_font' or 'selected_font'?
Yes, just define (for example) "red_sfont", and then set style.default.hover_font = "red_sfont"

BTW, I hope you're not making a SFont just to add support for Spanish characters, when the DejaVu font family is available.

Oh, and I put a language selction screen (an imagemap) in the 'label: splashscreen', this will modify the variable 'persistent.language' that will be then evaluated in the 'label: start'. Is this OK or I am buying some troubles with that cheat?
Nope, this seems like a good idea to me.

Wolfrider

Re: Problem with SFONTs (and others)

#3 Post by Wolfrider »

Thanks, Thanks, Thanks, Thanks, Thanks... T-T
PyTom wrote: The Ren'Py forum is a better place for Ren'Py support. So I moved this thread here.
I'll take note of this since today.
PyTom wrote: Set drop_shadow to None, rather than (0, 0), to disable drop shadows entirely.
I thought it only accepted numbers...
PyTom wrote: Your best bet is to include the shadow as part of the font. If this makes the spacing between letters two wide, you can decrease the default_kern parameter (making it, say, -2) to cancel out the drop-shadow.
I was thinking on that also, it's easier.
PyTom wrote: Yes, just define (for example) "red_sfont", and then set style.default.hover_font = "red_sfont"
BTW, I hope you're not making a SFont just to add support for Spanish characters, when the DejaVu font family is available.
I did it and it didn't worked. But I was messing all the script in my desperation, so I will try it again.

And not, it's not only matter of the language. I like the look of my bitmap font ^_^

And the splashscreen with language selection... it caused an error. But I will try again (with new files) and if something wrong happens I will post the output here.

Oh, I almost forgot to say this: thanks.