How do I remove an unwanted button and box in dp?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
fathskie
Regular

How do I remove an unwanted button and box in dp?

#1 Post by fathskie »

Hello everyone!

I'm new to programming but I'm very curious about how the stat raising works in making dating sim. Thus, I downloaded the DSE framework from Ren'py FAQ and also another game made by (my HUGE gratitude for him!) Jake Elliott with his post here: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 11&t=10920

The default Framework was to plan all action at once and hit "done planning". Now, I just tried RE: Alistair++ yesterday and realized that they don't put all three actions (morning, afternoon, evening) at once, but one at a time. Thus, I modified the code a bit and managed to get this:
From what I did, it works normally (at least I think it works normally), but the "done planning" button seems like an unnecessary addition on this new play since I only do one action at a time. So therefore, my question is:

1. How do I remove the "done planning" button?
2. What line I should erase or modified and in which *.rpyc (or is it *.rpy) files? (I mean as in dp or styles or script or option or anything else)
3. How to enabled the continuation of the script with one click of (either of) the three choices (on the picture I attached above) without anymore "dp_done" confirmation?
4. I actually also want to "erase" the box except for each of the option so that I would get something like this:
(the first picture is genuine, the second picture is obviously photoshopped).
5. Related to point number 4, I'd also like to know how to make a boxed calendar (I know how to make calendar)

Phew I typed a lot... thank you SO MUCH for your kind feedback!! ^^

Showsni
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: How do I remove an unwanted button and box in dp?

#2 Post by Showsni »

What you're describing seems to be just a menu; three buttons in the middle, clicking one continues the script...

QotC
Regular

#3 Post by QotC »

Agreed; if you're only doing one set of choices at a time, it would probably be easier to just use a simple menu.

The idea behind the DSE is that the options (library, radio, store) tell the game what you're *going* to do, and then clicking "Done Planning" continues the script with your selection in mind. There is no easy way to remove it. However, for a more complicated setup (like planning a whole bunch of periods at once), that's what you would want.

Hope this helps. :)

fathskie
Regular

#4 Post by fathskie »

Showsni wrote:What you're describing seems to be just a menu; three buttons in the middle, clicking one continues the script...
Picking ones won't be just to continuing the script, but it has to be able to call events_run_period at the daily planner. So a simple menu with flag or jump scene... umm ... well I really don't see how to link a simple menu with dp...
QotC wrote:Agreed; if you're only doing one set of choices at a time, it would probably be easier to just use a simple menu.

The idea behind the DSE is that the options (library, radio, store) tell the game what you're *going* to do, and then clicking "Done Planning" continues the script with your selection in mind. There is no easy way to remove it. However, for a more complicated setup (like planning a whole bunch of periods at once), that's what you would want.

Hope this helps. :)
Is a 'simple menu' can be used to raise stat too? (My definition of simple menu is: menu flag or jump scene). As you said, there's no easy way to remove it, but still. If it's possible, what I want to do is to "remove" it because it's not necessary since I wasn't planning a whole bunch of periods at once >,<

example:
--> (and in this case it triggers an event (based on the choice) which randomly can be resulted in either satisfying, just okay, or terrible in term of improving each stats)

So it can't be a simple menu, unless there's a way to link a simple menu to an event trigger which will also raise stat which I don't know about, yet. Also, to help you understand my confusion, I make this by modifying the DSE framework in renpy website, thus I found major difficulties in 'simplifying' something 'complicated'.

Sexo Grammaticus
Regular
Projects: human instrumentality and vocals section

#5 Post by Sexo Grammaticus »

A menu just jumps you along to whatever ends you want it to. There's nothing at all stopping you from incrementing (or decrementing) numbers along the way to jumping around scenes. You're starting off too complicated here and wondering why nothing makes sense - nothing you've done so far needs the DSE framework, and the rest is just basic (as in, read the tutorial and it tells you level of basic) Ren'py / general coding.
i have no signature and i must obscure game reference

Anima
Veteran
Completed: Loren
Projects: PS2

#6 Post by Anima »

Actually, the menu doesn't jump you around at all.
it's only a simple gui element that allows the player to take one of several given choices.
You have to code what happens at each choice yourself, all of it. But that also means that you can use arbitrary
code. So it's not limited to jumping around, you can of course change variables, show text, call screens or functions
or do just about everything else.

But you really should start with something simpler then the DSE, it's pretty powerful, which also implies complicated.
There are also fewer people who can help you with it, at least that's my impression from help threads.
Avatar created with this deviation by Crysa
Currently working on:
  • Winterwolves "Planet Stronghold 2" - RPG Framework: Phase III

fathskie
Regular

#7 Post by fathskie »

Thank you so much for your feedback, guys! I decided to learn more game examples to improve my learning curve a little bit ^^ I'm sure if other people can do it, I can do it too ^^ (except perhaps for the art part, that's taking a whole new skill I don't possess >,<)

Thanks for taking your time to replying me!
-fath