Music

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Hayzel
Veteran
Projects: Echo: Legend of the Centennial Bells, The Making of a Visual Novel, MLPFIM: The Flower Blooming Festival

Music

#1 Post by Hayzel »

Alright. How do I put music on the menu. I'm terrible at finding the right place to put it?

manga_otaku
Veteran
Completed: [KN] Saving Project: Blind? (Part One)

Re: Music

#2 Post by manga_otaku »

In the options.rpy scroll down until you find this part:

Code: Select all

## These settings let you change some of the sounds that are used by
    ## Ren'Py.

## Set this to False if the game does not have any sound effects.

config.has_sound = True

## Set this to False if the game does not have any music.

config.has_music = True
Usually it's around line 164. Scroll down to find this part:

## Music that is played while the user is at the main menu.

config.main_menu_music = "main.mp3"
Just put what music you want, like I've put "main.mp3" because that's what my menu music is. Make sure the music is in your game directory or it won't work xD
Projects:
WIP|[KN] Day Of Reckoning|
Completed|[KN] Saving Project Blind: Part One|[KN] Saving Project Blind: Part Two|[KN] Saving Project Blind: Final Part|
Is available to help with proof-reading (Grammar freak...) Maybe voice-acting in the near future x]

clannadman

#3 Post by clannadman »

@Hayzel - Can I recommend you try following the guide on the renpy wiki or at least reading the #comments in your script and options? They're great hints that let you know what the commands do and so on.

Hayzel
Veteran
Projects: Echo: Legend of the Centennial Bells, The Making of a Visual Novel, MLPFIM: The Flower Blooming Festival

#4 Post by Hayzel »

clannadman wrote:@Hayzel - Can I recommend you try following the guide on the renpy wiki or at least reading the #comments in your script and options? They're great hints that let you know what the commands do and so on.

First post I stated I have the hardest time finding it in the program. I looked through the Ren'py tute first. it told me how to put music in, but not on the menu. This way is faster and works better for me. I'm sorry if this thread somehow inconvenienced you in some way.

@manga Thank you so much ^.^ Especially for specifying the line ..but it didn't work T.T

## Music that is played while the user is at the main menu.

# config.main_menu_music = "sadSlow.mp3"

Lotus
Veteran
Projects: Unnamed Slenderman VN, Secret 10560

#5 Post by Lotus »

What Clannadman meant was that the comments in options.rpy tell you where to add music to the main menu, but when I was first looking to customize my game I didn't notice it either, so that's a common new Ren'py user mistake.

I'm adding this to the Ren'py questions FAQ (under "How can I customize my main menu") since we get this question a lot.

Edit: You commented out that line. Remove the hash (#)

Hayzel
Veteran

#6 Post by Hayzel »

Lotus wrote:What Clannadman meant was that the comments in options.rpy tell you where to add music to the main menu, but when I was first looking to customize my game I didn't notice it either, so that's a common new Ren'py user mistake.

I'm adding this to the Ren'py questions FAQ (under "How can I customize my main menu") since we get this question a lot.

Edit: You commented out that line. Remove the hash (#)
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!! ITS WORKS :D It brings tears to my eyes <3 XD Now how do I make it stop when the game starts XD

HigurashiKira
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by HigurashiKira »

Add this:

stop music
After "label start"
I have moved to a new account. Please contact me here from now on. T/Y~