i do not understand imagemaps

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
justanartistnamedkim

i do not understand imagemaps

#1 Post by justanartistnamedkim »

at all really. I've read the FAQ. I've read other posts about image maps. I have really tried to figure this out on my own since this seems like such a basic thing but if I try to do anything the game will open up with error messages.

Can someone please re-explain this to me or give me a clear example?

QotC
Regular

Re: i do not understand imagemaps

#2 Post by QotC »

Funnily enough, I happen to be learning about them myself; maybe I can be of some service. :)

First of all: Try running your code without any imagemaps in it, just to make sure the error isn't about something else. Sometimes I'll edit a piece of new code several zmillion times before I realize that the problem was with a misplaced punctuation mark somewhere far away from the bit I was fussing with. Learning to make sense of the Traceback file's jibber-jabber will serve you well.

Now, here's a break-down of image maps, as far as I understand them:

The basic idea is that an image map is a picture with several invisible "hot spots" placed on it. When you hover over these hotspots, they change how they look, and when you click on them, they do things, just like buttons.

Here's my example:

Code: Select all

imagemap:
        ground "map1.png" 
        hover "map2.png"
        hotspot (0, 50, 350, 300) action [SetVariable("sample", foo), ui.jumps("dancing_spree")]
        hotspot  (360, 30, 800, 250) action [ui.jumps("shopping_spree")]
        hotspot  (400, 275, 600, 450) action [ui.jumps("killing_spree")]
First you define the imagemap. Everything indented after the : is going to set up what's in it.

imagemap:
The next two important things are ground and hover.

ground "map1.png" 
        hover "map2.png"
Ground is going to be an image file: this is what your image map will look like by default.

Hover is the interesting one; it's also an image file, ideally the same size as Ground. Imagine a picture with another picture taped behind it; if you cut a piece out of the first picture, you'll see part of the second. That's kinda how hover works; when you hover over a hot spot, it cuts a piece out of the ground picture and shows you the hover picture "underneath". What piece it is depends on where and how big the hot spot is.

hotspot (0, 50, 350, 300) action [SetVariable("sample", foo), ui.jumps("dancing_spree")]
        hotspot  (360, 30, 800, 250) action [ui.jumps("shopping_spree")]
        hotspot  (400, 275, 600, 450) action [ui.jumps("killing_spree")]
Hotspots are the invisible buttons. The numbers in the (parentheses) are the co-ordinates of the top-left and bottom-right corners, which means that your hotspot is basically a rectangle. I forgot which numbers are which, so moving on:

everything in the [brackets] after action are what the hotspot does when clicked. You can look up Buttons for some ideas of what to do here, but basically, you can do a list of things such as changing variables and jumping to another label in the script.

This is about as much as I can tell you on the subject, I hope it's at least partially useful. Someone else can probably explain more.

justanartistnamedkim

#3 Post by justanartistnamedkim »

thank you but Im get this error

On line 338 of C:\Users\kim\Downloads\renpy-6.12.0\Summer Resolution/game/script.rpy: expected statement.
imagemap:
        ^

Ren'Py Version: Ren'Py 6.12.0e

QotC
Regular

#4 Post by QotC »

Ugh, I hate those kind of errors. Could you paste some of your code? What's right before imagemap:, and what's right after it?

justanartistnamedkim

#5 Post by justanartistnamedkim »

http://s1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... lzhalp.jpg

here's a screencap of it. I used her example except replaced the image names.

QotC
Regular

#6 Post by QotC »

Hmmm...Okay, this is the part I'm less certain about, but you can give it a try:

Try putting the imagemap in a screen.

screen my_imagemap:
    imagemap:
            #more code goes here

Then, whereever in the script you want the imagemap to show up, call the screen.

label day_off:
    "Where shall I go on my day off?"
    call screen my_imagemap
Does that work?

Alex
Lemma-Class Veteran

#7 Post by Alex »

justanartistnamedkim, I suppose that the problem is - wrong indentation.
In your script, lines 335 and 336 (as others) has one space at the begining. And line 338 (with imagemap) does not indented at all. Only labels and sreens does not need indentation. So, indent line 338 the same way as lines 335 and 336. (And are you shure that you need <return> in line 346?)
http://www.renpy.org/wiki/renpy/FAQ#How ... _blocks.3F

justanartistnamedkim

#8 Post by justanartistnamedkim »

http://s1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... =help2.jpg

Now it looks like this and gets the error

I'm sorry, but errors were detected in your script. Please correct the
errors listed below, and try again.

On line 342 of C:\Users\kim\Downloads\renpy-6.12.0\Summer Resolution/game/script.rpy: screen statement expects a non-empty block.
screen my_imagemap:
                   ^

On line 343 of C:\Users\kim\Downloads\renpy-6.12.0\Summer Resolution/game/script.rpy: expected statement.
imagemap: 
        ^

QotC
Regular

#9 Post by QotC »

Like Alex said, you need to indent it. Right before the imagemap: , put 4 spaces or so. Renpy is very picky about indentation.

justanartistnamedkim

#10 Post by justanartistnamedkim »

http://s1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... =help3.jpg
indented
gets error message

On line 345 of C:\Users\kim\Downloads\renpy-6.12.0\Summer Resolution/game/script.rpy: imagemap expects a non-empty block.
imagemap: 
          ^

justanartistnamedkim

#11 Post by justanartistnamedkim »

http://s1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... =help3.jpg
indented
gets error message

On line 345 of C:\Users\kim\Downloads\renpy-6.12.0\Summer Resolution/game/script.rpy: imagemap expects a non-empty block.
imagemap: 
          ^

bink
Regular

#12 Post by bink »

Everything from line 346 to line 352 needs to be indented one level further. Put 4 space in front of each of those lines. They should belong to the imagemap block, but right now they are in the screen block.

justanartistnamedkim

#13 Post by justanartistnamedkim »

Okay, this is the first time it starts up without an error but the image map doesn't actually show up. It goes ignored until i get the error

NameError: name 'foo' is not defined

While running game code:
 - script at line 341 of C:\Users\kim\Downloads\renpy-6.12.0\Summer Resolution/game/script.rpy
 - python at line 532 of renpy-6.12.0-mainline/common/00statements.rpy.
 - python at line 349 of C:\Users\kim\Downloads\renpy-6.12.0\Summer Resolution/game/script.rpy.

QotC
Regular

#14 Post by QotC »

That's because "foo" isn't a real computery-thing; it's only a placeholder word I threw in to give an example of what the code could do. You can delete everything between the [brackets], if you like, and fill them with your own code. Or, you can define all the labels and objects listed, and see how it runs as-is. It's up to you.

justanartistnamedkim

#15 Post by justanartistnamedkim »

I'm sorry. I'm getting confused. It still doesn't act like there's an imagemap. How do I get the images to show up. And now I get this error.

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

TypeError: SetVariable() takes exactly 2 arguments (1 given)

While running game code:
 - script at line 345 of C:\Users\kim\Downloads\renpy-6.12.0\Summer Resolution/game/script.rpy
 - python at line 532 of renpy-6.12.0-mainline/common/00statements.rpy.
 - python at line 349 of C:\Users\kim\Downloads\renpy-6.12.0\Summer Resolution/game/script.rpy.
if you like, and fill them with your own code. Or, you can define all the labels and objects listed
I wasn't going to replace any of the text until I could get it to work but I don't what I'm supposed to put in for the code or how to define the labels and objects...