Ren'Py's Public Image

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#91 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

Alessio wrote:
denzil wrote:when adding logo to Splashscreen they could also upgrade theier games to recent version of Ren'Py to prevent users from running into already fixed bugs. But it might be difficult to fit logo in all games.
Actually, I see it the other way around - adding a splashscreen is very easy. But upgrading the games to a new release would mean a lot of work. As long as the VN works (i.e. no nasty bugs), I'd rather not upgrade it, and instead invest my time into making a new VN. :)
Actually, upgrading an already released game should be as easy as dropping an image into the game folder
monele wrote:CSS sucks when it comes to this ^^;... the only solution is either to have a fixed size background image, or to combine three elements (top image, text+background color/image, bottom image) or make a table (left corner, top, right corner, left middle, center, etc...). And no browser has any way to round corners automatically... at least not the *same* one.
Actually, I think CSS is the best way to go. Unless you don't care for the highlight effect- which doesn't work in IE anyway... I could use javascript for the highlight effect, but that could get ugly- I'm not that good with javascript

RedSlash
Veteran

#92 Post by RedSlash »

Once we have the finished and approved Ren'Py logo (the Eileen+Python safari thing), authors could volunteer to include it in their already finished and published VNs (in the "Splashscreen" section before the menu pops up). That would have immediate effect, as opposed to using the logo only for VNs to be released in the future.
I think having people volunteer to include it in their games would be a good idea. It would give ren'py a recognizable identity and is very good as a viral marketing scheme.
Although there may be an issue with different sized text...
You can always just fix the size of the button text and avoid that issue in total. In terms of website, I cannot say I've been a huge fan of the rounded theme, however, I think it is definatly headed in the right direction.

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#93 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

Updated the web template... again:
http://www.cs.utah.edu/~jasons/renpy/

Took monele's advice, and used tables, instead of CSS for the corners of th different divisions- this fixed some minor problems in IE. Still use CSS for other things though.

Added a place for the logo

Still don't really have any content- just focusing on the main look for right now.

For the page where a Ren'Py game is featured, I think it would be kind of cool to show Eileen making the recommendation, or something.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#94 Post by mikey »

I was thinking about restructuring/simplifying the side bar

************** Main
- Home
- Features
- Download Ren'Py
- Full games
************** Game-making
- Tutorial
- Tools
- ALICE
************** Technical
- Unix/Mac/Linux
- Tech Support
************** Others
- Contact
- Donate

Moonlight Walks could be listed within the games section.
The Blog could be linked from the main page.
Older versions could be accessible from the download section.

This layout could give quick access to the cool sides of renpy (features, games etc...), and point out that there are full games available as well.

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#95 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

Ok, made a few changes, and put up some actual stuff to get a feel for it. I think it's looking really good.

Same place as before:

denzil
Veteran

#96 Post by denzil »

ShiraiJunichi wrote:Ok, made a few changes, and put up some actual stuff to get a feel for it. I think it's looking really good.

Same place as before:
Yes it looks really goog, but IMHO it's too much blue. Make at least the text black (plus it should be a bit easier to read).
Practice makes purrrfect.
Finished projects: Broken sky .:. colorless day .:. and few more...

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#97 Post by Blue Lemma »

I'm in favor of the several small tutorial games approach. Blade has three very short tutorials that each focus on a few different features. The tutorials also have step by step walkthroughs with screenshots. I suggest downloading them for some good ideas. They might not want to acknowledge Ren'Py or other VN engines exist, but that doesn't mean we can't learn from them, too :wink: Kind of like Blue Mages from Final Fantasy that get hit with enemy techniques and then learn them :lol: (er, not that Blade is the enemy or anything :wink: )

Oh, and the site is looking good, SJ 8)

Jake
Support Hero

#98 Post by Jake »

(As it goes, this is what I instantly thought of when someone said "Ren'Py Logo" a couple of days ago... probably spurred by the Eileen's-Eyes one. But then, I have a weird minimalist graphic taste. It'd be easy to vectorise and blow up to huge sizes, though! ;-))

Piroshiki
Regular

#99 Post by Piroshiki »

Since I most likely won't be able to post before next week... First draft of the new Eileen, more to come around Monday. I also have a design with a more professional attire in mind, in case this one is too casual. Though I felt that it kind of matched with her personality from what I've seen in the demo. Somehow. Maybe. I also ended up drawing her hair shorter than it should have been by accident. Should I keep it like that or go for the original shoulder length hair?

And, Manga? Did I ever do a manga?
The art scared me. It got the axe.
Attachments
eileen1.jpg
(60.86 KiB) Downloaded 136 times
I'm not a meat bun ~nya

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#100 Post by PyTom »

Otaku Dash wrote: Anyway... some people on another forum are talking about Otakon 2006 so I might post there to give an eye check on the Ren'py stand... maybe we can atract some new people.
What Ren'Py stand? It's just me walking around with a button and T-shirt. (But I did talk to the Okashi folks for a bit, and some of the Hirameki people.)
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#101 Post by PyTom »

ShiraiJunichi wrote:Updated the web template... again:

For the page where a Ren'Py game is featured, I think it would be kind of cool to show Eileen making the recommendation, or something.
Nice.

(Although lose the serifs, I think. And perhaps make the buttons a bit smaller, they seem to big to me, as I think we'll have more of them.)

I'm less thinking that we want to feature a single game. I'm thinking we want a pool of screenshots/blurbs about various "featured games", and some code will pick from that pool each time the site is loaded.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#102 Post by PyTom »

Piroshiki wrote:Since I most likely won't be able to post before next week... First draft of the new Eileen, more to come around Monday. I also have a design with a more professional attire in mind, in case this one is too casual. Though I felt that it kind of matched with her personality from what I've seen in the demo. Somehow. Maybe. I also ended up drawing her hair shorter than it should have been by accident. Should I keep it like that or go for the original shoulder length hair?
FWIW, I like the lower-right one.
And, Manga? Did I ever do a manga?
The art scared me. It got the axe.
But I really liked it! Could you at least send me a copy? I don't know if I have it stored anywhere.

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#103 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

PyTom wrote:
ShiraiJunichi wrote:Updated the web template... again:

Nice.

(Although lose the serifs, I think. And perhaps make the buttons a bit smaller, they seem to big to me, as I think we'll have more of them.)

I'm less thinking that we want to feature a single game. I'm thinking we want a pool of screenshots/blurbs about various "featured games", and some code will pick from that pool each time the site is loaded.
Did you want the button width or height smaller? A smaller height is fine, but if you shorten the width, larger fonts will look really ugly when a line of text is forced to wrap around.

I don't know anything about alternating what's displayed every time a page loads.

I'm thinking that the logo can have it's width reduced, and the link panel can be moved upwards, so it takes up the whole left side. (that may even solve the button size problem)

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#104 Post by monele »

Liking this Eileen design, even though I'm not sure I'd instantly recognize her without knowing it's supposed to be her.... Maybe Eileen lacks a few accessories that'd help to maker her stand out more ?

Jake
Support Hero

#105 Post by Jake »

monele wrote:Liking this Eileen design, even though I'm not sure I'd instantly recognize her without knowing it's supposed to be her.... Maybe Eileen lacks a few accessories that'd help to maker her stand out more ?
Mmm... I think I can agree with all of that. ;-)

On the other hand, though, I think it'd probably be difficult to come up with an Eileen in a different style that did look too reminiscent of the existing one - I think to clarify it's more a case (for me, at least) of "the new Eileen needs more overt design cues" than "this doesn't look familiar enough". ;-)