Ren'Py's Public Image

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
absinthe
Regular

#301 Post by absinthe »

PyTom wrote:What do people think? I'd especially want to know that it's okay with mikey.

Oh, another thing... I'd be open to a new color scheme for Ren'Py 6. Does anyone want to have a go at it?
I thought the working script was really cute, for what it's worth. I wouldn't be offended either way, though!

I could put together a few new color schemes, I think! What general color direction were you thinking of heading?
My 2007 NaNo entry: Eidolon

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#302 Post by PyTom »

To be honest, I don't know what color schemes to go for. If you can make a few and take screenshots, I can include them all, and maybe we can vote on which gets used by the demo.

I'm thinking we may want to randomize the color scheme when a new game is created, so that games that take the defaults still look distinctive.

I'll also take suggestions as to what the new Ren'Py 6 opening picture looks like... I'm thinking of some sort of sunrise.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#303 Post by monele »

I'm thinking we may want to randomize the color scheme when a new game is created, so that games that take the defaults still look distinctive.
Don't you think it might make people confused? They create a new game that randomly gets the blue theme and they're happy. Next time, the game gets a green theme and creator goes : "Why?! it's never done this before!"

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#304 Post by DaFool »

Are we just talking about color themes, or themes entirely different from roundrect? Because if it's just fonts and colors, that's easy (i.e. look at The Question for different colors, and look at Of Apes And God for using roundrect effectively with a comic-book font.)

We are talking about different styles entirely, right?

Because themes with different styles may have a lot of programming baggage to go along with them, not just images and fonts.

How about this...for those of us capable of customizing the look and feel of our game, customize we shall! Then seeing themes in action will be a better judge for them, instead of seeing just a template. (It's like seeing clothes without a model to wear them...they all look ok by goodness!) But seeing them with a model, then we know they're only good for certain bodytypes.

Similarly, as themes become more diverse, some will only be fit for certain types of games and genres. Few might actually be as universal as roundrect.

Then you can pick ones to include as standard themes (no doubt they will come with their own settings script).

I'm thinking Magical Boutique already has an excellent interface...if that layout can be made a standard Ren'Py theme, you'll make me a very happy person.

And how many times has it been mentioned already, the O3 menu setup...wow, and I'm not the only one who wants to know.

I'm still tweaking my widescreen kinetic novel interface, but yeah I've decided to go all out customizing here.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#305 Post by PyTom »

Right now, I'm talking about recolored roundrect themes. I think there is the potential for confusion there, but I think we have the problem that we're getting a bunch of games that simply do not change the default color scheme. So I think randomly assigning a color scheme fixes that, at least a little.

I'm also thinking of tweaking the roundrect theme a little, to use a fullscreen square black text window (similar to what MW used), rather then the current one, which is (IMO) just a little too small.

absinthe
Regular

#306 Post by absinthe »

I have a color addiction, I admit it.

Going to have to dive back into colourlovers later and see what else occurs to me. I think I had spring and summer on the brain today. :)
Attachments
Jan07 color schemes.zip
(49.97 KiB) Downloaded 86 times
sampler_two.png
sampler_one.png

Keitsu Han'ei
Regular

#307 Post by Keitsu Han'ei »

i have no idea WHY but the colours reminds me of a blog LOL

but i'm liking it :D
DA Page me anytime for job offers *_*

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#308 Post by DaFool »

Wow great job! (although I'm reminded a bit of windows color themes.)

But you don't want to randomize the color of a game...let the developer choose the color theme...

I mean...what if I had a horror game, and whola, I get cotton candy for the starting theme...I would so want to hit something :shock:

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#309 Post by PyTom »

Well, the idea is that the developer would be able to choose the color of the game if he or she wants to, but when a new game is made, we randomly pick the default colors you get if you don't do anything. It comes from the observation that we have a number of developers that do not colorize their games, and I want those games to look reasonably distinct from each other.

BTW, great work absinthe.

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#310 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

Maybe the new program launcher should prompt the user to select a color scheme, instead of just randomly assigning it.

Speaking of the launcher, it doesn't seem to have the ability to create a cross platform zip, or just one or two zips... In order to make an archive for use on windows you also have to create an archive for mac and for linux. I'd like to see more flexibility here.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#311 Post by PyTom »

That's not a bad idea, I'll consider doing that.

I made the decision that it would be better to have the launcher automatically make mac zips and linux tarballs. I want to make those platforms first-class citizens, and I think I think that automatically building the distributions for those platforms helps do so.

The windows zip is the traditional cross-platform zip, anyway.

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#312 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

So the windows zip functions as the cross platform zip too? Ok.

I don't mind that it defaults to generating all three archives- I would just like to be able to deselect the archives I don't want to generate. And I wouldn't mind having to do it each time (ie, no need to "remember" which distributions I've opted-out from). I don't see how that gives Windows precedence over any of the other platforms.

absinthe
Regular

#313 Post by absinthe »

Keitsu Han'ei wrote:i have no idea WHY but the colours reminds me of a blog LOL

but i'm liking it :D
It's the solid backgrounds, I think -- I had the same thought as I was putting together the sample swatches!
DaFool wrote:I mean...what if I had a horror game, and whola, I get cotton candy for the starting theme...I would so want to hit something :shock:
You should have seen Cotton Candy v. 1, aka "The Revenge of Pepto-Bismal". It was pretty horrific.
PyTom wrote:BTW, great work absinthe.
Hee, no problem. :) I find working with colors to be very soothing, and it's fun to see how the same theme can look so different with two wildly different palettes.

Say I had, uh, twelve more color schemes... is there another thread I could post them to, to avoid taking up a whole page of this one by myself? :)

ETA: I think I found a suitable place, here. Since I had a basic theme I wanted to share too.