Ren'Py 6.13 Released

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

Re: Ren'Py 6.13 Released

#16 Post by jack_norton »

If I remember correctly some (really POOR) Intel cards had a texture limit of 512x512, so probably any sprite bigger than that... In my new games I'm resizing all art to be max 1024x1024px which I think should be safer enough.
Is possible to set the driver with a command line parameter? so on PC I could just make the installer create two shortcuts for DX and GL modes (so user can try both first).

For your info, had an user unable to play Remember Me on the latest MacOS (which is 10.6.6), but when I recompiled the game with 6.13 it worked at first try. So anyone having a game using old Ren'Py might not work at all on the latest MacOS (heard many other devs have problems with it even with no-renpy games).
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 14 games released -- and Counting.
Organization: DarkErotica Games
Deviantart: OokamiKasumi

#17 Post by OokamiKasumi »

PyTom wrote:OokamiKasumi, can you run the dxdiag tool, and tell me what kind of video card you have?
Intel HD Graphics Pentium, 8.15.10.2302
I don't like the idea of the first thing people seeing when running a Ren'Py game being a hard crash ... There really shouldn't be anything that I do from user-space to cause a video card crash - so there has to be an underlying bug in the video driver.
Gods, I hope it's not a bug in my driver. This computer is less than 9 months old, and it's Not a laptop.
Ookami Kasumi ~ Purveyor of fine Smut.
Most recent Games Completed: For ALL my completed games visit: DarkErotica Games

"No amount of great animation will save a bad story." -- John Lasseter of Pixar

Soraminako
Veteran
Projects: A thingie without a title. With messy code.

#18 Post by Soraminako »

Ok, so I'm the ultimate noob, and the following question will probably be stupid for you all, but...

If I really like 6.12, but already downloaded and tried 6.13, will anything different happen to my game projects? Like what people have been mentioning in the rest of this thread? Or nothing will change for those projects because they were created with 6.12?

Will the differences between 6.12 and 6.13 only be visible when launching the game from one or the other, and if completing the making of the game with one or the other?

It's probably a dumb question, but hey, I'll never learn anything if I don't ask someone, so... :?

Incidentally, the very first thing 6.13 did when I launched it, was crash. :? It hasn't again since then though, so I'm not sure why it happened.
The new themes look awesome, in any case! And the additional little menu things in the game itself are a great add-on as well.
(I drew my avatar especially to express the scary feeling I get from the code as I type it... XD)

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#19 Post by jack_norton »

I found another different behavior from different versions:

Code: Select all

ui.imagebutton(im.Sepia(bollo),bollo,clicked=ui.returns(999),xalign=.5,hovered=tt.show, unhovered=tt.hide)
                        ui.text("?",size=80,style="maintxt3",xalign=0.5,ypos=-130)
                        ui.null(height=-90)
though I know it's BAD CODING on my part, so I understand if that is not supported anymore :D in practice I was displaying an imagebutton, and then print a big "?" over it for the endings not yet unlocked. Problem is that the text was "pushing" the other elements in the hbox/vbox away, so I used to take advantage of the ui.null with a negative height.
I obviously can recode that in a better way, but just wanted to let you know that it works differently now (see images below):
Attachments
renpy6.13.jpg
renpy6.12.jpg
computer games

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Please see http://trash.moe
Projects: the head well lost
Organization: L3
Tumblr: narihira
Deviantart: crownwaltz
itch: lore

#20 Post by Camille »

@Soraminako: Most of the errors people are having (as far as I can tell) are due to more complex coding. If you just have a regular VN with some choices and a modestly customized UI, you're probably going to be fine. Just make sure you change this stuff that's incompatible from 6.12 -> 6.13. I happen to like 6.13 a lot better and my games aren't super complex in coding, so it was a pretty easy decision for me. xD

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#21 Post by jack_norton »

Today tried on a new PC a fresh install of a 6.13 game. The result wasn't that great unfortunately.
The PC is 3 months old and has Window7, so brand new:
1. on first try ran at OpenGL (Ati driver) and had display bugs as you can see:
openGL.jpg
I had outdated drivers, so updated them to the last ones (July 2011) but still the same bug! Game is playable, but doesn't look exactly great :D
2. Tried to force DirectX. It didn't work (crash with traceback.txt) and I couldn't revert back (even holding shift, the game would crash, I can't choose the renderer anymore). I ran the dxsetup on /lib and then, worked just fine (no graphic bug). Problem is that I had to do it manually, and most users wouldn't have a clue (but this can be solved by adding a shortcut from the installer to that dxsetup file).
3. on same PC I tried Love and Order (Renpy 6.10e) and Planet Stronghold (6.12e) and they both worked in OpenGL without any problem. So I'm pretty sure this new "graphic garbage" problem is only on 6.13 using GL.

I think this setup is worst that the old 6.12, since by default pick GL but is broken on some PC, and requires an old version of DX that means that even people with brand new Windows7 PC can't just run the game immediately but need to "update" (or better install another old version). I know it's not your fault of course since it's a silly requirement of ANGLE. I really don't understand why they don't support DX10-11 as well ??
computer games

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#22 Post by PyTom »

I've put a message up on the Ren'Py website encouraging people to use 6.12.2 until I finish fixing 6.13. I'll be starting work on 6.13.1 tonight, but I don't know how soon it will be released.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#23 Post by jack_norton »

Cool thanks, sorry if I sounded a bit polemic before, wasn't my intention :)
It's strange that in the netbook it correctly launched the dxsetup automatically when couldn't run on DX, while on the desktop didn't, just crashed with traceback and after that wasn't able to start it again even holding shift!
Also if can be of help, I have my development PC with an ATi too, and there I don't see any GL corrupted gfx, which is weird (both are Ati, and both Radeon, only difference is that in the new PC has more VRAM but shouldn't be a problem!).
computer games

Soraminako
Veteran
Projects: A thingie without a title. With messy code.

#24 Post by Soraminako »

Camille wrote:@Soraminako: Most of the errors people are having (as far as I can tell) are due to more complex coding. If you just have a regular VN with some choices and a modestly customized UI, you're probably going to be fine. Just make sure you change this stuff that's incompatible from 6.12 -> 6.13. I happen to like 6.13 a lot better and my games aren't super complex in coding, so it was a pretty easy decision for me. xD
Oh thank you!! :D That link is helpful!

My game is paradoxical in that I'm a code noob but I love to use complicated bits of code from various forum threads, so... I can run into really strange results sometimes and yet due to my code noobness I end up having no idea how to fix issues that arise. :?
But little by little it helps me learn more and more, and hopefully on the long run it will make me make interesting games. :D
(I drew my avatar especially to express the scary feeling I get from the code as I type it... XD)

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#25 Post by OokamiKasumi »

PyTom wrote:I've put a message up on the Ren'Py website encouraging people to use 6.12.2 until I finish fixing 6.13. I'll be starting work on 6.13.1 tonight, but I don't know how soon it will be released.
Thank you. I was getting worried because I'm only days away from a game release. :)
-- I hope you figure out a work-around soon though, because I really like all the improvements in 6.13.
Most recent Games Completed: For ALL my completed games visit: DarkErotica Games

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#26 Post by PyTom »

OokamiKasumi wrote:Thank you. I was getting worried because I'm only days away from a game release. :)
-- I hope you figure out a work-around soon though, because I really like all the improvements in 6.13.
I'll do my best, but no promises on a schedule - some of problems seem big, and at the same time, I may not be able to repeat some of them. Those are the hardest problems to fix, ones that don't show up on a computer that I own.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#27 Post by OokamiKasumi »

PyTom wrote:I'll do my best, but no promises on a schedule
That's quite okay. I can always make another game later, when 6.13 is ready.
...some of problems seem big, and at the same time, I may not be able to repeat some of them. Those are the hardest problems to fix, ones that don't show up on a computer that I own.
LOL! That just goes to show that you have a much better computer than the rest of us do. :) You could always buy a cheap crappy computer just to test your work on? Or borrow one...?

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#28 Post by jack_norton »

OokamiKasumi wrote: LOL! That just goes to show that you have a much better computer than the rest of us do. :) You could always buy a cheap crappy computer just to test your work on? Or borrow one...?
Well it's not like that - as I said I have a openGL bug on my NEW PC, which is slightly more powerful than my dev PC (Athlon X2, 4Gb RAM, Ati Radeon 4670HD so not exactly a cheap PC). I have to say that once the DX drivers were installed, everything worked fine on all the PC I have.
computer games

El Presidente
Regular

#29 Post by El Presidente »

Ubuntu 11.10 64-bit first gave me this error:

File "/opt/renpy/renpy-6.13.0/renpy/loader.py", line 24, in <module>
    from pickle import loads
  File "py4renpy-current/linux-x86/lib/python2.6/pickle.py", line 1258, in <module>
ImportError: libz.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Resolved it by installing lib32z1

Now I am getting:

Full traceback:
  File "/opt/renpy/renpy-6.13.0/renpy/bootstrap.py", line 276, in bootstrap
    renpy.main.main()
  File "/opt/renpy/renpy-6.13.0/renpy/main.py", line 343, in main
    renpy.display.core.Interface()
  File "/opt/renpy/renpy-6.13.0/renpy/display/core.py", line 1130, in __init__
    pygame.display.init()
error: No available video device

After initialization, but before game start.
Any ideas why this is happening?

Mihara
Regular

#30 Post by Mihara »

About a year ago, I have suggested including support for hyphenation, and now that the Text rewrite is complete and the changelog said that the Unicode linebreaking algorithm is implemented, I tried it out the first time I had a moment to spare. I tracked down a public domain implementation of English hyphenation algorithm and stitched it into a sample RenPy project for your perusal -- there probably should be more checks in there, but it does work.

Notice though, that while hyphenation does work, and the lines are broken at the hyphen, the display is not as it should be according to the Unicode standard -- soft hyphen character should not be shown unless it is at the end of line. It could be that I'm wrong somehow, and the hyphenation routine should use some other character, but if so, which one is it?
Attachments
Hyphen.zip
(27.85 KiB) Downloaded 29 times