Making Sprites?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
jackalope044

Making Sprites?

#1 Post by jackalope044 »

God, this is probably the newbiest newb question I could ever ask.

Okay, so, I made myself a sprite, and I gave it a white background like I saw in the sprites for the tutorial game, but, low and behold, the white background showed up and replaced the in-game background.

So... How do I get the sprite background to just be transparent in the game?

Sorry for the silly question.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

Re: Making Sprites?

#2 Post by LVUER »

The solution:
1. Draw using software that support transparency. Flash, Photoshop, SAI, Corel Painter, etc. Don't use MS Paint or other software like that. Of course you have to tweak the option a bit (depending on which software you use) and save as PNG.

2. Open your drawing with photoshop, cut all those white parts, save as PNG.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Rewritten Ennui
Veteran
Organization: TwinTurtle Games

#3 Post by Rewritten Ennui »

If you don't feel like shelling out any cash for a picture editor, you can download GIMP. Here's a tutorial for making a transparent background.
I've swapped accounts to CheeryMoya, so this account is no longer in use. Refer to the new account if you want to contact me.

Twinturtle Games Website

vociferocity
Regular
Projects: Rogue of Heart, Valkyrie

#4 Post by vociferocity »

SAI doesn't support transparent PNGs, just btw.

Soraminako
Veteran
Projects: A thingie without a title. With messy code.

#5 Post by Soraminako »

vociferocity wrote:SAI doesn't support transparent PNGs, just btw.
It does support it, actually. When you save a png file with SAI, it asks you which way to save it as, opaque or transparent. (At least it does in my Japanese SAI, and I doubt the English one is somehow different in such a basic function. ^^; )
(I drew my avatar especially to express the scary feeling I get from the code as I type it... XD)

vociferocity
Regular

#6 Post by vociferocity »

Soraminako wrote:
It does support it, actually. When you save a png file with SAI, it asks you which way to save it as, opaque or transparent. (At least it does in my Japanese SAI, and I doubt the English one is somehow different in such a basic function. ^^; )
it...has never asked me that once ever :( where does it say that on yours?

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#7 Post by LVUER »

It should support it. I haven't use SAI that much, but I work together with Samu-kun and Fawn a lot. I use Photoshop while they use SAI. We use transparency in our picture just fine.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

jackalope044

#8 Post by jackalope044 »

I was using GIMP, actually. I'm just not very savvy with photoediting software of ANY kind. Thanks, though, guys.

Soraminako
Veteran

#9 Post by Soraminako »

vociferocity wrote:
Soraminako wrote:
it...has never asked me that once ever :( where does it say that on yours?
When you go to save the image and pick PNG, a small pop-up window appear asking you which way of saving you want. (See the attached image.)

The first one is opaque, the second one is transparent.
Attachments
pngexample.jpg
(I drew my avatar especially to express the scary feeling I get from the code as I type it... XD)

vociferocity
Regular

#10 Post by vociferocity »

yeah ok I think I must have an older version of sai, or something. mine's never come up with that box :(

Soraminako
Veteran

#11 Post by Soraminako »

vociferocity wrote:yeah ok I think I must have an older version of sai, or something. mine's never come up with that box :(
I've been a beta tester of SAI since the very beginning, a long long time before the program was released for sale, and I don't remember if there was a point when it didn't have that option (maybe yes I think, but a LONG time ago).

The official final release has always had transparency. So if yours really doesn't have it, then you might want to head on over to the official site and download the complete/final release, as you might have odd bugs as well, if you're running a really old beta version somehow. D:

Have you tried "save as" instead of save? ^^; Even if you already have the file as a PNG, if you just hit "save" it won't be transparent unless you selected the transparent option first, so you have to choose "save as" and then pick png again, then you can pick the option in the window in my screencap.

Otherwise, and this may sound dumb but sometimes I forget too... have you made sure that you don't have a white background layer or something like that behind your transparent image?
If you're saving transparent, it will only be transparent if you don't have a background with something other than the transparency, after all. ^^;

Hopefully one of those might be of help. ^^;