Changing narrators...

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
gaoldart
Regular
Projects: Tony T (Writer, programmer)

Changing narrators...

#1 Post by gaoldart »

What i want to do is change the POV character in that same place, an example:

Code: Select all

h "Dont worry, trust me"

##First narrator

"He seems nice"
But if we change the narrator after h's line...

Code: Select all

h "Don't worry, trust me"

##First narrator

"He seems nice"

##Change

"I don't trust him..."
I have a vague idea on how to do this... but i usually end up using a more complicated method... i need to know how to switch from one narrator to other with a button or something... kinda like Disgaea Infinite, but changing POV and words
Bashing my head against the computer desk while programming since march 2011, and so far no brain damashii nanananananananana katamari damashii

vociferocity
Regular
Projects: Rogue of Heart, Valkyrie

Re: Changing narrators...

#2 Post by vociferocity »

so what do you actually want changing onscreen? the colour of the text, the name being displayed, the character picture being displayed...?

gaoldart
Regular

#3 Post by gaoldart »

The whole point of view... i need some code that allows to change who's talking at that moment, more than the text style, something that allows to switch the text shown
Bashing my head against the computer desk while programming since march 2011, and so far no brain damashii nanananananananana katamari damashii

vociferocity
Regular

#4 Post by vociferocity »

ok maybe I'm not really understanding your problem here, but can't you just change the character that's talking?

gaoldart
Regular

#5 Post by gaoldart »

Nope, the idea is to change who's talking whenever you want to

vociferocity
Regular

#6 Post by vociferocity »

but changing characters is how you change who's talking, isn't it? reading up, I see in the first post you mentioned a button that would change who's talking. how exactly are you imagining that working for the player?

TsukiShima
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Heartful Memory

#7 Post by TsukiShima »

Vociferocity got it right actually. You are actually going to use the character based for this one. I'm sure this game of yours uses the concept of points or jump menus.

Maybe you should send some more examples so that it is easy for us to help you.

gaoldart
Regular

#8 Post by gaoldart »

Actually... i think it would be better (For me and the player) to change who's point of view follow BEFORE the chapter. Thanks vociferocity and HanaMori... i guess that's what a good night's sleep does for you