Ren'Py games on websites or even as a Facebook App?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Der Tor
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Der Totengräber, There is always a Choice, Darkness
Projects: A Legend of an Ancient Evil
itch: emmanuel-goldstein

Ren'Py games on websites or even as a Facebook App?

#1 Post by Der Tor »

A while back there was a thread about having Ren'Py games run in websites.. i can't find the thread anymore but as far as the bottom line goes i seem to remember that it IS possible.
So i thought if you can have a Ren'Py game run on a website, then (in theory) you should even be able to make a Facebook App out of it. 8)
I know it's probably not a good idea and there will be a lot of issues, problems and limitations even if it works.
But i would really like to give it a try as the story i am working on would really benefit from that. As i want it to simulate a Facebook Chat or at least a chatroom anyway... kinda similar to the "Digital" Visual Novel a while back. And so if on top of that i could make it run as a Facebook app it would enhance the atmosphere for my story tremendously and make it soooo much more realistic.

As far as i understand it, it should be possible as i would just have to make it run on my website and then use I-frame to make it run as a Facebook app, right?

Has anybody tried this before?
Of course there will be tons of problems - the most obvious one being that the game would propably take too long to load. Even a RenPy game with nothing in it is about 5 MB big just in itself. But maybe i could reduce the file size somehow or use an older version of Ren'Py to make it smaller?
Last edited by Der Tor on Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

leon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Visual Novel Tycoon, Night at the Hospital, Time Labyrinth, The Buried Moon, Left of Center, Super Otome Quest
Projects: Lemon Project, Porcelain Heart, Dream's Dénouement
Organization: Team ANARKY

Re: Ren'Py games on websites or even as a Facebook App?

#2 Post by leon »

Ren'Py games can be run in websites? I'd like to see this thread too. If anyone can point me (us) to it...

My 2 cents on Facebook apps: It should be possible, but as you said it yourself - "issues, problems and limitations". Facebook may look nice on the front, but if you are a developer, get ready for some huge issues. Facebook API has a lot of bugs, some of them are critical and have existed for years, yet Facebook won't address (or even acknowledge) these issues. Sorry for being so negative, but I really hate FB...

What functionality from Facebook would you need? Does it need to be ran from inside FB or do you just want to connect to players FB account, to access their data and gain permissions to post on their wall, etc.? The latter would be much simpler...

I'm not so sure, if the filesize would be an issue here... If Ren'Py games can be ran in websites in a true server-client fashion, this should not be an issue at all, as the major part of the game would ran on the server and only small parts (currently displayed web page) would get transferred to the user.

If anyone can point me to that thread, discussing running Ren'Py in a website, I would really appreciate it.

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#3 Post by jack_norton »

No they cannot - pytom hacked something in his own server so that there was a python app running, and the browser was simply displaying the OUTPUT. But was super slow, and I think impossible to expand on large scale (would consume lots of bandwidth/server resources). In particular as FB app, with just 100-200 concurrent users the server would probably collapse :D
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

leon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Visual Novel Tycoon, Night at the Hospital, Time Labyrinth, The Buried Moon, Left of Center, Super Otome Quest

#4 Post by leon »

@jack_norton: Thanks for the explanation. I kind of expected something like that...

Still, this could work in theory, so I'm staying optimistic. I'm sure it will be implemented in time. Any animations and effects would be an issue with the bandwidth, but a simple VN or a sim, limited to simple images and text should be fairly lightweight on the bandwidth.

I can imagine, a lot of concurrent users being a problem, both with bandwidth as well as processing power, but you could just limit the max number of concurrent users and send everyone else to the page with a download for the desktop version. :)

@Der Tor: I checked your project and demo game. It look very interesting. I'm not sure how complex do you intend your project to be, but maybe a conversion of the renpy version to a web-app could be an option?

Gear
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Tempestus Sum
Organization: Xenokos Interactive
IRC Nick: Gear

#5 Post by Gear »

It sucks if it can't really happen, but after reading the OP, I realized what a cool idea it would be. Some people don't like downloading games, so if they could play them through FB, that would not only give more people a chance to play, but with wall postings and whatnot, it would be word-of-mouth advertising from FBer to FBer. I can certainly see the appeal of the concept, and I hope it becomes possible at some point.
The best reason to get up in the morning is to outdo yourself: to do it better than you've ever done it before. But if you haven't done it better by nightfall... look at your globe and pick a spot: it's always morning somewhere.

Soraminako
Veteran
Projects: A thingie without a title. With messy code.

#6 Post by Soraminako »

Yeah, that's why I originally made flash games instead of using a game engine. Most people likely to randomly drop by your site don't feel like downloading something and having it in their PC. :-S
However, flash is a pain to get anything done with (at least for me), and Ren'py is so full of wonderful possibilities to develop stuff fast and more easily than with flash, so it's lovely.

Both worlds have their pros and their cons I guess.

If it ever becomes possible to have Ren'py games playable on websites I'll be so happy to use that too. :D
(I drew my avatar especially to express the scary feeling I get from the code as I type it... XD)

Der Tor
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Der Totengräber, There is always a Choice, Darkness
Projects: A Legend of an Ancient Evil
itch: emmanuel-goldstein

#7 Post by Der Tor »

Yes, i guess i will have to just redo my game in flash. Or is there anything besides flash that could easily be used to make Visual Novels and can run on a website?
A while back there was a Visual Novel engine called Sylph that apparently was capable of running inside a browser. But it seems to be down. Anyone still have a copy of it?

DragoonHP
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Christmas
IRC Nick: DragoonHP

#8 Post by DragoonHP »

You can use HTML5 with CSS and js... it ought to work...

animedaisuki
Regular
Completed: Zefii Beta 1.0
Projects: Zefii - A Transcendent Journey
Organization: Balibu Studios

#9 Post by animedaisuki »

I definitely saw visual novels on Facebook. What game engine allows you to do that? Or do people code from scratch?

fullmontis
Regular
Deviantart: fullmontis
itch: fullmontis

#10 Post by fullmontis »

animedaisuki wrote:I definitely saw visual novels on Facebook. What game engine allows you to do that? Or do people code from scratch?
There are a few HTML5 engines, like Construct 2, which are developed for games in general but can easily be adapted to create visual novels.
It's also possible to code from scratch, HTML5-CSS-JS is easy to work with and VNs aren't complex to implement.

qirien
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Metasepia Games
Deviantart: qirien
Github: qirien
itch: qirien
Discord: qirien

#11 Post by qirien »

I know that you can play Night at the Hospital online, but I'm not sure how they did it - maybe you could ask them?
Finished games:

leon
Miko-Class Veteran

#12 Post by leon »

Night at the Hospital is using WebStory Engine.

C7N
Regular

#13 Post by C7N »

_lb_ currently works on a Ren'Py to WebStory Engine converter. Not sure where to get the latest version, but you can read more about it here (and maybe ask where to get it): https://iiyo.org/f/discussion/52/renpy- ... -converter
WebStory Engine - Visual Novel Engine For The Web:
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... =4&t=16722

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#14 Post by LVUER »

Game Maker now also have the HMTL5 version, though I don't know how much amount of resources it uses.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

i1abnrk
Regular
Projects: Critter Corral, Haremu Kikkemu Mo
IRC Nick: i1abnrk
Deviantart: i1abnrk
Github: i1abnrk

#15 Post by i1abnrk »

Google has official support for python through their app hosting cloud. That gives me a hunch that G+ would be easier. I've looked into fb and I think you'd be needing to write a pretty nifty http servlet that includes the fb code base in the javascript output. Then you just need a server to run it on. You don't need to put your game on facebook to get a ton of functions to post stuff with. You have to write servlets that negotiate user permissions like 'post on my behalf', etc. Just some impressions, I'm not an expert at all.