lyrics in game?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Marcelo_Orlando
Veteran
Completed: Case of the missing bracelet, Case of the mysterious stalker
Projects: Horror/fantasy
Organization: Kaboyashi Square

lyrics in game?

#1 Post by Marcelo_Orlando »

I'm interested in having a part in my game where the player is able to write their own songs for the protagonist to sing in the concerts. I'm wondering if this is possible and how would I go about it?

KimiYoriBaka
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Castle of Arhannia

Re: lyrics in game?

#2 Post by KimiYoriBaka »

this is quite possible, and there are many many ways to go about this.

Firstly, you'll need to consider how you want the player to input the lyrics. this could be anything from going line by line using renpy.input() to even having the player write them in a separate text file.

Once you have the lyrics, you can put them as strings in a list, then use a for loop to go through the list, using renpy.say() to display them as the protagonist's singing.

It's also possible to have the lyrics display as subtitles while showing the cgs of the protagonist singing (like in the 4th ace attorney game), but that's a bit harder. basically, you'd use atl blocks in a while loop to continuously show the cgs while using text commands to show the lyrics.