How to create images without white backgrounds

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
serene-artist
Regular
Completed: Wolfram's Birthday Present
Projects: BL Academy

How to create images without white backgrounds

#1 Post by serene-artist »

Hey everyone!
I seem to be having trouble trying to find a program that doesn't have a white background for the characters I draw when I save them :(
Are there are free programs I can download that can take away the white background? Please help and much thanks!!

SparkleDash

Re: How to create images without white backgrounds

#2 Post by SparkleDash »

You need a program that can save transparent .png images.
Maybe try out GIMP? It's free, at least. ^^

Just remember to make the background layer transparent!

HigurashiKira
Miko-Class Veteran

#3 Post by HigurashiKira »

Or if you have a program that can handle layers (GIMP, Paint.Net, Photoshop, etc) start drawing in a new layer above the white background. After you're done, you can erase the white background layer and save the image as a .png
I have moved to a new account. Please contact me here from now on. T/Y~

serene-artist
Regular

#4 Post by serene-artist »

SparkleDash wrote:You need a program that can save transparent .png images.
Maybe try out GIMP? It's free, at least. ^^

Just remember to make the background layer transparent!
Thank you so much for the quick reply! I've never used GIMP before, so I'll try it out! Make background layer transparent...understood.

serene-artist
Regular

#5 Post by serene-artist »

HigurashiKira wrote:Or if you have a program that can handle layers (GIMP, Paint.Net, Photoshop, etc) start drawing in a new layer above the white background. After you're done, you can erase the white background layer and save the image as a .png
Actually, I've been using a program with layers. Sorry, what do you mean by erasing the white background layer? I use multiple layers for shading, hair, etc....so which one do I erase? Thank you for answering!!

SparkleDash

#6 Post by SparkleDash »

What program are you using right now?

serene-artist
Regular

#7 Post by serene-artist »

SparkleDash wrote:What program are you using right now?
Open Canvas 1.1, the free version :)

Fawn
Moe Imouto

#8 Post by Fawn »

Just so you know next time, art questions should be posted in the Skill Development side of the forum.

However, to answer your question, not all programs with layers are able to export transparent backgrounds. You need to use a program that creates transparent layers.

Open Canvas 1.1 not only does not have this feature, but it would be bad for sprites and general game graphics because it's more for making digital paintings than smooth PNG graphics.

I'd try to explain transparency more but it's much easier for you to just experiment with it yourself. As mentioned before, GIMP has transparent layers. All you have to do is make sure the background has the grey checkerboards on it. Download it, watch some video tutorials and have fun.

SparkleDash

#9 Post by SparkleDash »

Umm... I'm pretty sure Open Canvas doesn't support the .png format.

So you'd have to open your images in a program that does (like GIMP or Photoshop) and remove the white background. Though that can be tricky, and leave ugly white outlines around your picture. ^^;
It would be easier to just draw your images in a program that supports transparency, in the future. Just draw ontop of a transparent layer instead of a white background.

EDIT; Fawn explained everything much better than I could ever hope to. ||OTL

manga_otaku
Veteran
Completed: [KN] Saving Project: Blind? (Part One)

#10 Post by manga_otaku »

Paint.NET also supports transparent .png files. There's also the handy magic wand tool to rid white backgrounds and then you can save it as a .png file. (But if there are gaps between the background and sprite then it'll continue to all parts that are connected...>_<) It's also a free program to use ^_^
Projects:
WIP|[KN] Day Of Reckoning|
Completed|[KN] Saving Project Blind: Part One|[KN] Saving Project Blind: Part Two|[KN] Saving Project Blind: Final Part|
Is available to help with proof-reading (Grammar freak...) Maybe voice-acting in the near future x]

serene-artist
Regular

#11 Post by serene-artist »

Fawn wrote:Just so you know next time, art questions should be posted in the Skill Development side of the forum.

However, to answer your question, not all programs with layers are able to export transparent backgrounds. You need to use a program that creates transparent layers.

Open Canvas 1.1 not only does not have this feature, but it would be bad for sprites and general game graphics because it's more for making digital paintings than smooth PNG graphics.

I'd try to explain transparency more but it's much easier for you to just experiment with it yourself. As mentioned before, GIMP has transparent layers. All you have to do is make sure the background has the grey checkerboards on it. Download it, watch some video tutorials and have fun.
Sorry! I didn't know where to post this. Thank you very much for your answer! I see....so Open Canvas WAS a bad choice. Hopefully I'm able to learn how to use GIMP. Sorry, one last question. Do I draw on the grey checkerboards, or just make sure it's there?

serene-artist
Regular

#12 Post by serene-artist »

SparkleDash wrote:Umm... I'm pretty sure Open Canvas doesn't support the .png format.

So you'd have to open your images in a program that does (like GIMP or Photoshop) and remove the white background. Though that can be tricky, and leave ugly white outlines around your picture. ^^;
It would be easier to just draw your images in a program that supports transparency, in the future. Just draw ontop of a transparent layer instead of a white background.

EDIT; Fawn explained everything much better than I could ever hope to. ||OTL
Not true, you helped me alot! Thanks for answering, I'll just have to restart on another program. (Good thing I'm new so it wasn't much haha)

serene-artist
Regular

#13 Post by serene-artist »

manga_otaku wrote:Paint.NET also supports transparent .png files. There's also the handy magic wand tool to rid white backgrounds and then you can save it as a .png file. (But if there are gaps between the background and sprite then it'll continue to all parts that are connected...>_<) It's also a free program to use ^_^
Thanks for the suggestion! If GIMP doesn't work out, I think I can go with Paint.Net.....though I vaguely remember those white outlines before....