Ren'Py 5.6.0 Released

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#16 Post by PyTom »

monele wrote: First one, it seems renpy.pause has somewhat changed (unless it's the way you deal with the framerate) because previously synced parts (sound+animation) are now out of sync (by about 0.1 or 0.2 seconds but that's enough to have some sounds be out of place). It even happened with very short scenes along the lines of :

Code: Select all

$ renpy.play("sound.wav")
$ renpy.pause(1.7)
show something
The show happened too late or too soon.
I'll check this out. Are you sure it happened too soon? I can see it happening too late, but too soon seems odd to me. Well, we'll see..

Oh, can you try replacing the call to renpy.play with:

$ renpy,music.play("sound.wav", loop=False, synchro_start=True)
I know that it's odd to play sfx on the music channel, but synchro start is really what I need.

Also, realize that timing is a best-effort sort of thing on Ren'Py. I'd make sure you don't have any other programs running, that would slow things down, making the pause start later.
The other new bug :
I see my obvious error, will fix it when I get home.
That's when I use my shift+> shortcut that skips to the next choice. Seems there's a problem with the implicit "with None" *gut feeling*.
Not directly. I factored the various display_say functions out into a new file, that's what caused the problem.
Surprisingly, my animations routines are intact XD... That's what I thought would break ^^;
Even the one that uses your own MoveTransition? That should probably break, since I changed the data structure MoveTransition depends on. You can replace it with providing a factory argument to MoveTransition, which is the new preferred way of customizing things.
still have to try out all the new stuff (layers and shift+R). Already looks like a nice version though ^.^
Let me know what you think. Right now, my thoughts are that I'll cut a bug-fix 5.6.2 release on the weekend, and slip the new demo to 5.6.2.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Adorya
Miko-Class Veteran

#17 Post by Adorya »

I also get more Runtime error while meddling with some parameters (before I had only the traceback pop-up, now no traceback and the nice Runtime library c++ blabla)

exemple :

scene bgimage at Zoom((800, 600), (0, 0, 800, 600), (0, 361, 320, 240), 0.5)
This line work
scene bgimage at Zoom((800, 600), (0, 0, 800, 600), (0, 362, 320, 240), 0.5)
This line make the game crash (any number after 361) but before I had traceback error at line, now runtime error).

The fun fact is that the zoom work for the last line, but just after moving to the end of the zoom it crashes :)

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#18 Post by PyTom »

I'm assuming bgimage is 800 x 600. In the second example, you're trying to cut out an area of an image that goes from (0, 362) to (320, 601). Pixels in row 601 are outside of the image, but Ren'Py is happy to access them anyway... but when it does... kaboom! Segmentation fault!

The solution to this problem is to not make the rectangle go past the edges of the image.

There is a problem in Ren'Py, too... this case should cause an error, rather then crashing. I'll add that error check to 5.6.1. I'll also clarify the documentation for Zoom.

Adorya
Miko-Class Veteran

#19 Post by Adorya »

More docs for Zoom would be indeed a nice addition, though best would be to have plenty of exemples to work on :)

Found another "feature" (?) :
- I SHIFT+R just before the zoom crash
- I let the game runtime error crash
- I relaunch the game by double clicking on the exe
- the game show "reloading game" and put me back directly in the previous savestate (the SHIFT+R one) instead of giving me the main menu.

You have to exit manually the game to reset it.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#20 Post by PyTom »

Adorya wrote:More docs for Zoom would be indeed a nice addition, though best would be to have plenty of exemples to work on :)
We're working on it. (Especially Shaja, who's doing yeoman's work moving the Reference Manual to the wiki.)
Found another "feature" (?) :
- I SHIFT+R just before the zoom crash
- I let the game runtime error crash
- I relaunch the game by double clicking on the exe
- the game show "reloading game" and put me back directly in the previous savestate (the SHIFT+R one) instead of giving me the main menu.

You have to exit manually the game to reset it.
Well, it shouldn't be possible to runtime-error the game. And while this is bad, it's not horrible, and it's easy to work around, and shift+R is a developer feature anyway... so it's not really worth a direct fix. (Especially because it's impossible to detect and react to a runtime error.)

But thanks for reporting these things, it's your bug reports that make Ren'Py better.

Adorya
Miko-Class Veteran

#21 Post by Adorya »

Trying to insert a layer as shown in the demo, but I have the error : "Exception: Trying to add something to non-existent layer 'demo'."

So, what I am missing?
I put those lines :

$ config.layers.insert(1, 'demo')
    $ config.layer_clipping['demo'] = (50, 50, 700, 500)

show bg whitehouse onlayer demo
            with dissolve

show eileen happy onlayer demo 
            with dissolve
Also is the imagedissolve.zip file up to date? I couldn't make it work on 5.6 unless I modify this line :

image black = Solid((0,0,0))
to
image black = Solid((0,0,0,255))

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#22 Post by PyTom »

Adorya wrote:So, what I am missing?
You need to put the operations that change config variables into an init block.
Also is the imagedissolve.zip file up to date? I couldn't make it work on 5.6 unless I modify this line :

to
Quite possibly not. We need to figure out a better system for ensuring extras and the like get updated for new releases/

Adorya
Miko-Class Veteran

#23 Post by Adorya »

Edit : bleh ok I found out my error, it work now. Never use a savegame for jumping to a specific part of your work in progress, since it doesn't save your modification on the script :evil:

shaja
Regular

#24 Post by shaja »

Adorya wrote: Also is the imagedissolve.zip file up to date? I couldn't make it work on 5.6 unless I modify this line :

to
I'm wondering why I even had that line in there, since black is already a standard definition (as 0,0,0,255).

Also, I see that I didn't bother writing up a readme to include in the zip. Oops.

It might not be immediately apparent, but there are three components included - the demo, the pregenerated (and pngcrush-optimized) test images, and the actual image generator, imagegen.exe. It's possible to fiddle with the imagegen parameters to create images of various tile and/or fullscreen sizes.

And of course, the generated images are also useful as bases for further filtering in Photoshop or whatever.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#25 Post by PyTom »

I forget when black became a standard definition... ISTR it was fairly recently, like sometime this year.

Once the reference manual is wikified, one of the things I'd like to do is to move some of these definitions into the appropriate sections. I believe dissolve is more widely used then Dissolve, and so should probably be discussed first in the transitions section.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#26 Post by monele »

PyTom : Ok, strangely, I can't reproduce the desync problem anymore ô_o... So maybe it *was* some program hogging the processor. This had never happened before, even though I sometimes had quite a few things running at the same time, strange ^^;.

Ah, yes my MoveTransition doesn't work anymore ^^;... *sniffle*. I'll have to look into this factory thingie.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#27 Post by PyTom »

I just found and fixed a bug with image prediction in 5.6, which causes it to fail in a number of cases. This could be why some games were feeling slower. (But I still don't guarantee synchronization.)

RedSlash
Veteran

#28 Post by RedSlash »

It looks like I'll wait for the next version to come out.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#29 Post by monele »

Ah! It's true that the worst desync actually happened in a preload intensive scene (with a 10 big frames animation) now that I think about it.

I also went back to 5.5.x because I just can't live without the developer skip feature to test things ^^;... *waits patiently*

EDIT : btw, very small bug I noticed lately : when using the "fast" tag and having auto-play on, it will calculate the wait time based on the whole sentence, not just the part after the fast tag. So if you just add "Eh ??" to a long sentence, it waits for an unnecessary long time.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#30 Post by DaFool »

image preloading is when you declare the image before you use it, right?

and (as mentioned in another thread), Ren'Py can only handle around 8 images in the same scene?

What if all images (such as in an animated scene), were just shown like this:

show expression "foo1.png"
$renpy.pause(.1)
show expression "foo2.png"

How would this be related to the problems outlined above?