Stopping textbox from disappearing during transitions?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
manga_otaku
Veteran
Completed: [KN] Saving Project: Blind? (Part One)

Stopping textbox from disappearing during transitions?

#1 Post by manga_otaku »

I was just wondering whether there was any way to stop the textbox from disappearing whenever a transition occurs.
So far, the only way I have been able to show my positioned characters is by simply showing them at a position without any transitions, which just shows them abruptly and suddenly, making the characters just appearing. This doesn't really flow well with the game xD
So, is there any code that I need to switch off or will I just have to deal with not being able to show my characters with a dissolve or any other transition?
Projects:
WIP|[KN] Day Of Reckoning|
Completed|[KN] Saving Project Blind: Part One|[KN] Saving Project Blind: Part Two|[KN] Saving Project Blind: Final Part|
Is available to help with proof-reading (Grammar freak...) Maybe voice-acting in the near future x]

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Please see http://trash.moe
Projects: the head well lost
Organization: L3
Tumblr: narihira
Deviantart: crownwaltz
itch: lore

Re: Stopping textbox from disappearing during transitions?

#2 Post by Camille »

If you want the dialogue box to not disappear during transitions, you use the command "window show". Best to put it right at the beginning of your start label like:

Code: Select all

label start:
    window show
Similarly, "window hide" will make it disappear. (unless it's supposed to be there, like during a dialogue, etc) I do this in my game and have to make it disappear again during NVL scenes, etc.