Ren'Py Home Page

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Ren'Py Home Page

#1 Post by PyTom »

Now that 5.6.1 is out, my next project is to update the Ren'Py home page. We've decided to make most of the content wiki-based, so anyone can edit it... so everyone can participate. There will be a few pages I protect to prevent vandalism (like the home page) or for security reasons (the download page).

The current draft of the home page is at:

http://www.bishoujo.us/wiki/renpy/Home_Page

I'd appreciate comments people have, and if people want to volunteer to fill in the missing content, more power to you.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#2 Post by monele »

Hmm... the very first big question is : how to edit ? o_O... *looks for edit button but can't see any*

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#3 Post by PyTom »

You need to log in before you can edit, with the exception of the discussion pages. You can create a new account on the Login page.

Eventually, the homepage will be locked from editing... but it's open for now.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#4 Post by PyTom »

There's now a page:

http://www.bishoujo.us/wiki/renpy/Home_Page/random

which has two sections picked out at random, and placed on the home page. If people could add their own screenshots to this page, I'd appreciate it.

Alessio
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: GO! Magical Boy (2006), Angelic Orbs (soundtrack)
Projects: Cyberlin (in progress)

#5 Post by Alessio »

Very neat, I like the set of pages. And editing is a breeze (first Wiki experience here...)

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

#6 Post by mugenjohncel »

Um... I am actually planning on doing a more in-depth (user friendly) explanation on image maps and zooms (with Screenshots) since not much documentation is available on that subject and the available material currently out is a little bit too difficult for someone new to ren-py to follow.

Took me about 3 weeks to figure how zoom and image-map works.
(And a little help from someone in the forum who asked to remain anonymous)

But I don't know how to edit.

Is it possible if I provide you with a word document (and separate files for screenshots) then (Sorry about my english) you post it there?

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#7 Post by PyTom »

Sure, if you build it I can post it.

Rika-chan
Regular

#8 Post by Rika-chan »

Looking good. I think the page looks professional, and with the ability to change and update it, you won't have to do all the work on it. Good job, I'm glad to see that things are coming together.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#9 Post by PyTom »

Okay, I've done some more work on the web page. We're now getting very close to the point where we can replace the existing Ren'Py web page with the new wiki.

http://www.bishoujo.us/wiki/renpy/

I still need to move over the content from the Linux and Mac pages, and also write the new "Other Platforms" and "Tutorials" pages. Once that's done, I think it will be time to go live with the new website.

Now, the new website will not be complete. The tutorials section will be a skeleton, and the cookbook will be leaving people a bit hungry. There are a lot of places where screenshots could go. (Like the random screenshots on the home page, and the games list.)

There are also a number of project other people are working on. Shaja is doing great work with moving the reference manual to the web, and Denzil is working on Czech language pages.

But I don't think it makes sense to wait on all this new work. The wiki will soon include all the content of the previous web pages, and I think it looks quite a bit better. So I think it will make sense to switch over sooner rather then later, and then improve it over the next few weeks.

Comments?

Alessio
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: GO! Magical Boy (2006), Angelic Orbs (soundtrack)
Projects: Cyberlin (in progress)

#10 Post by Alessio »

I agree, we can release the site before it is completely finished. It will never be really finished anyway - there's always something to add. :)

bardsmanship
Regular

#11 Post by bardsmanship »

I'd just like to say, the cookbook's a brilliant idea! I'll definitely be looking forward to it. And you've done a fantastic job with the new website :D

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#12 Post by PyTom »

bardsmanship wrote:I'd just like to say, the cookbook's a brilliant idea! I'll definitely be looking forward to it. And you've done a fantastic job with the new website :D
Well, the cookbook will be what people make of it. I'm going to put some seed content in, and then it will be up to everyone to add new stuff to it as appropriate.

And the website is no longer mine alone... a number of people have been contributing to it, and some just stopped by to fix typos.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#13 Post by mikey »

My comments:
- the game list should definitely have screenshots, maybe even 2 or 3, just to make it a bit more eye-candyish
- the main download page for ren'py should also have a picture of how it looks like - maybe two or three as well - a shot of the demo, a shot of the menu/prefs and so on, it will definitely be more catching (since appeal is probably what we want) - also, if it's unfitting for that page, maybe a "features" subpage could do the trick:
Discover Ren'Py
- Ren'Py Games
- Features (and here, you could have loads of catchy screenshots with effects and descriptions, as well as to-the-point statements - such as "completely free", "obfuscating possible" and formats support etc.)

IMO Mac/Linux/Other Platforms should have separate pages, but not separate tabs on the sidebar - it could be called "Mac/Linux/Other" or so, and when you click on it, you'd have the option of selecting your OS from within that page, not directly from the sidebar - it's a bit confusing to have those buttins there, at least for me.

I'd also reconsider "Tutorials" and "Reference" and probably replace them with something more newbie-oriented, such as "Getting Started Tutorials (First Steps...)" and "Big Command Reference (Big Manual)" or similar. Maybe it's a bit kindergarten, but first, kindergarten is very cool, and second, to newcomers the difference between a tutorial and a reference isn't very apparent, you have to think a bit until you realize - which you shouldn't.

But generally, it's fine. It could use much more images, because a wiki will always have a generic feel to, so livening up is extremely crucial, and not everyone should be allowed to edit it in the long term, probably.

Also, about the buttons, the attached pic shows how the page looks in my browser, 1024x768 resolution, maximized - this is basically the standard (even though people who do graphics have much higher resolutions). My point is, a typical web user will only see this portion of the page. It's only when you scroll down that it explains what a tutorial is and so on - that's why I suggested the buttons. And I really think a "features" page, something for inspiration, would be very good.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#14 Post by monele »

I had a slight problem with the download page : it starts with a lot of explanations about versions, recommended ones, blahblah... It's fine, but I don't think it's very useful for someone who's just starting. It's only good for people who are about to release something. And chances are they will take the time to read more infos by then.
As much as possible, the absolutely most important things should come first. If I click on Download, the first thing I want to see is a link to get Ren'Py. I don't care about version. If the beta versions are not recommended, then the first link should point to the last stable version instead. But don't ask the visitor to make that thinking himself.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#15 Post by mikey »

Maybe there are way too many links as well...

The subsequent links - view changelog, script, manual... are too much choice. At this level (4 MB) no one is ever going to read the changelog and view script files BEFORE they download - they'll just download it and that's it. And they'll have everything inside anyway.

Also, ... requires this and that - it's too complicated. If I'm a first-timer, all I know is what OS I have and all I should do is click one button and get everything. Even at the cost of packaging the base ren'py into every distribution. The current method of downloading is a bit sourceforgeish.

It would be so much cooler to just have a big red button with a smiling Eileen that says "Download Ren'Py". And when you click it - it would let you choose your platform - and that's it.

- Ren'Py for Windows
- Ren'Py for Mac
- Ren'Py for Linux
- Multiplatform

And have one of those cute buttons as well... The colorful Win, the penguin and whatever the apple thing... and something to symbolize multiplatform.

Simplicity will make it attractive, IMO.