Beginner level tutorial

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
D-R_aldi

Re: Beginner level tutorial

#31 Post by D-R_aldi »

woa...
thanks for the great tutorial. :D
I'm glad that you make it!!!

buttdumpling
Regular
Projects: Dämmerung

#32 Post by buttdumpling »

After reading the comments of confused people who have made multiple games, I am SUPER GLAD I found this. I'm working on something, but I've never done anything more intense than CSS so I've been really intimidated o-|-<
But now I'm going to start learning how to code tonight!
I've read over the first few steps of your tutorial, and I'm very pleased with it. It's simple, thorough, and has a good navigation system. I tend to think that navigation is one of the most important parts of a tutorial, cause it's really frustrating if you need to find something specific & can't.

TheKeeper

#33 Post by TheKeeper »

I was wondering: This tutorial is just so helpful to the people who stumble across it, myself included. Is there any way to make this thread into a sticky? The Quickstart Guide for making "The Question" is decent, but I really like that this tutorial makes zero assumptions about the reader's knowledge in Ren'Py, Python, or scripting/programming, in general, ensuring that the reader understands why certain things are required in the scripting of a VN.

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#34 Post by trooper6 »

I notice the Tutorial is rather old...does it use the modern screen language? It is outdated?
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

TheKeeper

#35 Post by TheKeeper »

trooper6 wrote:I notice the Tutorial is rather old...does it use the modern screen language? It is outdated?
I dunno, as I'm still new to Ren'Py, but I didn't have any trouble with using the code from the tutorial.

philat
Eileen-Class Veteran

#36 Post by philat »

From briefly skimming through it, it doesn't look like it deals with screens at all. It basically covers showing text, showing SCGs, and some flow control and variables for branching paths/choice-based endings.

chocoberrie
Veteran
Projects: Marshmallow Days

#37 Post by chocoberrie »

The link to the tutorial is broken! Is this tutorial posted somewhere else? Please let me know! Thanks! :)

delguy

#38 Post by delguy »

Hi,

I am new to Renpy and would like to see this tutorial. However could not find it on link in the thread. Please share the link if changed.