Beginner level tutorial

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
\Nish/
Regular

Re: Beginner level tutorial

#16 Post by \Nish/ »

I also would like to thank you, rinrin! This came just in time when I'm about to restart my project, and I find it quite useful. Thanks for writing it and I'll look forward to more chapters!

mapledumplings

#17 Post by mapledumplings »

I found your tutorial very useful for a total newbie like me :D

Cidz
Veteran
Completed: The Forgetful Kiwi [NanoReno 2012], Papercut [NanoReno 2013]
Projects: Words Within Our Hearts, Papercut [NanoReno 2013]
Organization: Starlight Melodies
Tumblr: starlightmelodies
Deviantart: cidthekitty

#18 Post by Cidz »

Note:
jEdit has a handy feature for commenting out big amounts of code: select all the lines of code you want commented and, click on
Edit -> Source -> Line Comment.

It really saves time!
WHAT!? YOU CAN DO THIS!? I DIDNT EVEN KNOW! thank you sooooooooo much for this! there were times i wanted to comment out only SOME lines but not all (i commented out all lines by going double clicking on the indent going to search find and replace all (with #) then selecting all the text and hittng indent >_> ) but this is so much easier! anyways, thanks for this tutorial! i skimmed over the stuff like "how to open/download renpy" and other stuff i knew but then i saw this gem under menus (since im a little still new with menus/variables) im sure ill learn a lot from this! I'm still kind of new to coding myself. <3

rinrin
Veteran
Completed: Several.
Projects: Several.

#19 Post by rinrin »

Thanks, everyone! I'm glad you found it useful. :D

Princess Battles is in the last stages of development so I'll be pretty busy for the rest of this month, but after that I hope I'll finally manage to find some time to finish part 7 of the tutorial.

icecheetah
Regular

#20 Post by icecheetah »

I've started going through this, and reached the end today! It's very good! Even if mine is... wildly different from what is in the walkthrough dialouge and choice wise. Just making it silly to make it more memorable to me. And I wish I'd learned about this sooner, it's REALLY useful!

9:19
Veteran
Projects: Green Eyed Monster [complete]

#21 Post by 9:19 »

It's beautiful.

LadyAvori
Regular

#22 Post by LadyAvori »

You are AWESOME!

Shad12ow
Regular
Projects: Kage's Room

#23 Post by Shad12ow »

Very nice, very useful, what more can I say? I LOVE IT!!!
Thanks for the magnificent share...

StarMasayume
Regular

#24 Post by StarMasayume »

I'm sorry I didn't read this earlier. I figured out a lot of it. What confused me in the main ren'py tutorial I tried figuring out by looking at the coding and set up itself and searching online. But it still mentions some things I didn't realize and shortcuts I didn't know where there so still pretty useful! Everything it explained very well.

michi 18
Veteran
Completed: none at the moment's notice
Projects: The Universal Hope;Wisdom Revival
Organization: Pridal Heavens Inc.

#25 Post by michi 18 »

wow thanks im planning on studying this your my life saver!
Last edited by michi 18 on Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Projects: (I hope you'll support them ) Wisdom Revivalhttp://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 16&t=16488 and Universal Hope (Uni-H)http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 43&t=16452.

infiniterain

#26 Post by infiniterain »

Like, when I try to go to step three it doesn't work and neither does the rest it says it's an error or something could you please, please fix that? It's such a great tutorial.

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 14 games released -- and Counting.
Organization: DarkErotica Games
Deviantart: OokamiKasumi

#27 Post by OokamiKasumi »

infiniterain wrote:Like, when I try to go to step three it doesn't work and neither does the rest it says it's an error or something could you please, please fix that? It's such a great tutorial.
You're going to have to be a heck of a lot more specific if you want us to be able to answer your question. For example: Post Step 3's instructions, the Code from your game, and the full page of the error you get.

Remember, this tutorial is posted on a Different Site -- not this one.
Ookami Kasumi ~ Purveyor of fine Smut.
Most recent Games Completed: For ALL my completed games visit: DarkErotica Games

"No amount of great animation will save a bad story." -- John Lasseter of Pixar

TheKeeper

#28 Post by TheKeeper »

Oh, my gosh! Thank you!

I've gone through the Quickstart tutorial, making my own version of "The Question," and I'm currently working my way through the Ren'Py documentation, and the latter is making me want to tear my hair out. The documentation makes a bad habit referencing things that mean absolutely nothing to me, failing to define them for those people who are not only new to Ren'Py, but new to Python, or even scripting, period. An absolute beginner's tutorial that assumes that the reader knows absolutely nothing, and builds the reader's knowledge up, from that, is exactly what I needed! Thanks, again!

*Heads off to work through this thoughtful tutorial!*

tamtam

#29 Post by tamtam »

You are great!Thank you :D

TheKeeper

#30 Post by TheKeeper »

Are you still planning to make the next part of the tutorial? I learned so much, already, but the teaser has me wondering what wonderful new things you'll introduce me to, in order to put this all together! Even if you've become too busy to go back to it, thank you, for what you *have* written. It's helped me, a lot!