Ren'Py for web?!?!??!

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Ukio
Regular

Ren'Py for web?!?!??!

#1 Post by Ukio »

I'm thinking.... Ren'Py is a cool system to create visual novels an Dating Sims, and can be usable in several operative systems...

But, if I want to make a visual novel... or a dating simulation, and if I have Flash... There is no reason to use Ren'Py... Except for the save/load features (make this in Flash could be a nightmare...) and some other contents... (yeah.. I know... is free...) you know... no visual edition...

But if Ren'Py can be used in web as Flash.... it's other tale!! jejeje
Well... I don't have Flash... I don't love Flash... I'm in love with Ren'Py...

Linux... Mac... Window... some game console (?)... why not a web translation of a game maded with Ren'Py?!? you know, like Flash (and several other systems..!) Maybe a little plugin... and ready!!!!

I don't have programming skills at all... So, I don't know how to make this... maybe is too hard to do... But I think is a good idea for a next version... Maybe... Maybe not.

Think on this... Your incredible last game played by all the people around the Net... and Flash... well... Gotohellflashplayer!!!!

It's just an idea... bye all! :D

(and here comes my clasic post data)
PD: sorry... sorry about my english! (@_@)
FEAR MY SKIRT, PREPARE FOR MY LEGS!

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#2 Post by PyTom »

I'm not 100% sure what you're asking here. But I'll have a couple of goes at it, and you can tell me if I'm right.

I don't think I could make a version of Ren'Py that would run inside Flash. Mac, Linux, and Windows are actually quite similar to each other, and the tools I use to make Ren'Py make them even more similar. So it's easy to make a tool that works with all of them.

Flash is very different from those, so it would be hard to make a version of Ren'Py that ran inside the flash player.

It might be possible to make a version of Ren'Py that would export a game to other formats. (DVDs, Web Pages, Flash, etc.) It wouldn't support all of the features of Ren'Py, but it probably could be made to work. To be honest, I don't have time to investigate this in depth... and I'm not sure I want to spend time supporting a tool that would probably produce inferior results.

It might be possible to build a tool, similar to java web start, that would let you click a link and run a Ren'Py game. But I don't see a big advantage to this over the current system.

Hopefully, one of these answered your question.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by monele »

But, if I want to make a visual novel... or a dating simulation, and if I have Flash... There is no reason to use Ren'Py... Except for the save/load features (make this in Flash could be a nightmare...)
Honestly, it's just not the same creation method. I've tried making a VN with Flash a long time ago and it's very hard, and you might never get as a clean result as with Ren'Py. Unless you want a lot of animation, Flash won't have much to offer. Actually it will lack things. No save/load as you said, no right mouse button, no image transitions...

... or actually, there could be. But you'll spend your time in the code... and it'll be much harder than Ren'Py scripting ^^;.

So you say... Ren'Py on the web ? But why ? It's different from wanting a visual creation tool :). A Ren'py game isn't hard to download and run, so... having them on the web doesn't add much.
I'm a bit confused about your goal ^^;

Glasskitten
Regular
Completed: I confess to nothing! \(>o<)/

#4 Post by Glasskitten »

On a subject that may or may not be related to the original question, which languages/tools/programs would be best for recreating a VN-like experience in a web browser with minimal additional software downloaded by the average remote player? (Not that I would ever have time to follow through on such a thing while attending college, but out of curiosity so I can fantasize about impressing my nerdy/artsy media study teacher by showing him I am nerdier/artsier than thou =^_^=. For no particular reason. Or maybe I have self-esteem problems, which are way off topic and everybody should get back to what they were doing before they started reading this, or else space monkeys will come and smite you with some advanced form of leetness. And now I have no idea what I am talking about. Note to self: Get more rest.)
Grand list of things not officially canceled:
Salt -- the heartwarming story of brain-eating space worms
Tangent -- an epic poem and/or novel about a borderline-autistic Martian imp and her relationship with God
Kittens of the Darned -- a grimdark soap opera about sexy catgirls (Indefinitely postponed until I learn to draw and color realistically)
The Other Mary -- the most perfect fic about the most perfect Mary Sue EVER
Rockheart -- a short story about a monster who kills everyone
Corrupted -- a completely different short story about a monster who kills everyone (late Worst Visual Novel Ever)
Checkpoint 36a -- the transcription of a short multi-ending dream about time travel and undead schoolgirls
In Which the Princess is Kidnapped -- an entry in the "ordinary girl ends up in an alien universe and tries to save it" genre
Pictogram Scramble: Magical Friendship Bunny Ivy -- a Flash game about a magical girl making friends (Indefinitely postponed until I learn how friendship works)

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#5 Post by lordcloudx »

Glasskitten: how bout a java applet?
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

yummy
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Suna to Majo

#6 Post by yummy »

If (you plan on making a game with vectors) then
{ it's definitely flash. }
Else { You can use macromedia tech with shockwave flash to generate 3D polygons too. }

You might use java applets too.

Either you choose flash or java, you can still embed 2D or 3D animations via movies or the like.

But it's way~~~ more easy with Ren'Py.

RedSlash
Veteran

#7 Post by RedSlash »

I would assume what Ukio is looking for is an IE/Firefox plug-in which would play ren'py games. Sounds like alot of work to develop though. I think a java applet would read ren'py scripts would be feasible, but again, quite a bit of work.

Haeleth

#8 Post by Haeleth »

You could probably run Ren'Py on Jython...

(Not a serious suggestion; I doubt Java applets support SDL, so the whole backend would probably need rewriting, for very little real gain.)

RedSlash
Veteran

#9 Post by RedSlash »

Jython.. haha, I never knew about Jython. But yes, it looks unless there's a jy'game, then I'm not sure if ren'py will run under it.